under bonnet water ingress -Ducato

graementl

Hi, just read some of the replies to issue with tha gearbox oil leak on my 2009 X2/50 and see that others are still having(had) problems with water in engine bay. Read the previous threads on this and seen the possible solution with sealing scuttle etc. but don't see why I should have to do this on a new vehicle. I complained to Fiat(email) about mine as it gets really very wet particularly on top of both suspension mounts and electrics at nearside. Fiats reply(by phone) was that as they don't recognise this as an issue they wont be taking any action. I asked for this in writing to take it further but refused so will now have to write to Fiat head office. They also advised me not to try fixing it myself as it would invalidate the warranty! Anybody had any success with this in the past? My vehicle has the updated engine cover but that dosen't stop the water getting in!

Graeme

Fiat introduced a mod for the water ingress (as did Peugeot & Citroen) way back, very early on after the new model launch.

But on a 2009 vehicle that should have been factory fit, it's worth checking when your vehicle was actually built. (upgrade was fitted to factory build from early 2008 from memory, possibly earlier)

It could have been a few months with the motorhome converter & then on a Dealers forecourt for a considerable period prior to 1st registration.

Get your local Fiat dealer to see if he can determine if the newest style screen scuttle is fitted or not. Then back to Fiat as the vehicle IS still under warranty.

Water may enter in four places, the centre joint in the scuttle, drain holes at the nearside and offside ends of the scuttle and also the rubber seal at the base of the windscreen may not actually be sealed to the screen. Water can also enter when you open the bonnet from the air intake housing.

Peugeot (same sevel van) sealed my windscreen which has been OK and the centre joint but this still drips.

Looking at vans at the NEC I can`t see any changes on the newer vans except some are fitted with a drain tube on the nearside drain hole, I have fitted my own drain here, as water can run down onto various electrics. The offside does`nt seem to be such a problem. When "laid up" I fit a oil drain funnel and tube under the centre bracket in the engine compartment this keeps any water away from the engine even with the engine cover.

This does at least keep the engine compartment dry, but you are right why?

Ours is 2008 don't get any problems with water in the engine bay.

From earlier posts some owners have had problems when parked on the road as the mods Fiat did work better on the continent where the road camber is opposite to ours & the main drain scuttle is on our offside.

Thanks for the interest and tips. Vehicle had already been back to dealer who confirmed all upgrades were in place however a phone call yesterday from Fiat requests I take it back again for further checks, think this will be a waste of time but lets give them a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
update folks;would you believe that my dealer, Arnold Clark in Grangemouth, in consultation with Fiat have carried out superb remedial work on the scuttle and sealed it to the windscreen. Also they have led 2 new hoses from the drain holes on either side of the scuttle that previously fed into the engine bay and, more crucially on the nearside, on the headlight unit. Not only should this cure most of the water ingress but it should also stop the headlight unit misting up. Well done Fiat and Arnold Clark.

Archived