Morocco Electrics

David Dwight

David Dwight - 2010-11-03 3:52 PM

We are off to Morocco next March. We notice that electric in Morocco is 110v Will we be able to use our UK appliances ok?

Also will the on board battery charger work ok?

Simple answer is no

UNLESS - they are rated at 115 - 230 V

OR - you use a step up transformer as owners of American RVs usually do.

A electric kettle of 1 kW (1000 W) at 230V would only produce 250 W of heat at 110 V. So it would work but very very very very slowly.

Many electronic devices such as phones, electric razors and tooth brushes, computers etc have power supplies that will work on the lower voltage,

However it almost certain that your battery charger in the MH will not work correctly so a 12V source is also unlikely.

However the only way to be certain is to check the spec of every thing you want to use.

The above is correct, but a quick web search suggests the supply is mostly 220V 50Hz, using standard "Europlugs", with some areas on 127V 50Hz in course of conversion.  Supply is stated to be unreliable.  I'd guess some of the hook-ups, where available, may be a bit eccentric!  Suggest you contact the National Tourist Board, or Embassy, for detail on what voltage is where, though I guess you'll need a rough itinerary to get reliable answers.  It seems you'll need a Visa to visit.

Guest pelmetman

Having driven in Morocco in the late 70's in a camper.

I suspect your biggest problem will be the roads 8-) which by now maybe, I hope improved is that they seem to build their roads a foot above the ground, with no kerbs! so if you fall off you notice 8-)

When we were there we only found 220v often fed by light weight cables and no earth. The best example is attached -some 22 sockets fed by a cable that was no bigger than 2.5 mm so wonder what the voltage dropped to if all the sockets were used!!!!

When we were there we only found 220v often fed by light weight cables and no earth. The best example is attached -some 22 sockets fed by a cable that was no bigger than 2.5 mm so wonder what the voltage dropped to if all the sockets were used!!!!

CIMG0569.JPG.b71c734b2ac93fdf0e196d0cf1cc035b.JPG

I have just returned from the October Desert Detours classic tour and can confirm that electrics are continental 2 pin about 200 volts. There is usually a very low output - on one site one van did not have enough amps to run the fridge and battery charger !. The supply is rarely up to European safety standards with all possible readings - except correct, on our polarity tester. Most sites had plenty of hookups in relation to the number of vans, probably to enable you to find one that works. Bare wires are quite common. However I used the electric on all sites and it kept the battery and fridge going and I live to tell the tale. Most of our group were charging cameras and laptops with no problems. An extra lead might be useful on some sites.

Mobile phones worked almost everywhere as did the tour leaders dongle.

The roads that we used were generally very good, much better than in Essex. Driving standards are often poor and watch for being cut up after overtakes.

We had a great time, saw some amazing sights and would love to return.

Rodger

Archived