Scotland for New Year

Shell181

Hi

After reading a few of the posts on here I'm hoping someone may be able to help us please. We have only ever been up to Aviemore and Loch Ness in the car before and are quite new to motorhoming but have had a few trips out this year and spent 3 weeks touring France in Sept.

We have decided that we would like to go up to Scotland (weather pending of course) 27th Dec till the 2nd or 3rd Jan. Not sure about booking anywhere as we don't know if the weather will be ok to go so will probably just keep our fingers crossed, would you say not booking is a bit risky at this time of year or should we be ok?

We are happy to drive maybe 4 or 5 hours a day if need be spending 2 days getting there (staying 1 night at each campsite) and when we get to the campsite where we will be staying a few days we would like to be on a quiet campsite opposite a beach or loch, nice scenery, biking and lots of walks around. Would like a campsite that has toilets/showers/electric etc, it will just be me and hubby so prefer one that isn't geared up for kids or teenagers. An advantage would be a pub or village within walking or biking distance.

We have been to Scotland and around the lochs at this time of year before so we are aware of how cold it will be lol but our ideal new years eve for this year would be sat round a campfire just the two of us with a glass of champagne each lol. I'm not even sure if campfires on a beach are still allowed??? I know there are a few campsites that allow them?????

Not ready for wild camping yet so wandered if anyone has any ideas of where we can go thats suits our needs please????

Any ideas would be a great help as tbh I am getting a bit bogged down with all the research and not knowing Scotland very well isn't helping lol.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Michele

Hi, Just a point to remember , Scotland closes for Hogmanay, so I wonder if you would be wise to try booking somewhere, and remember of course that prices rise over holiday times.

If you are a CC or CCC member it might be worth looking to see if there are any organised rallies over the period.

The weather is a major factor, sitting around a campfire in a snowstorm on a beach is not my Idea of fun, and remember the possible wind chill factor if it is bad.

I am sure you would enjoy the hospitality of the locals, if you are brave enough to give it a go. Good luck

tonyg3nwl

Shell181 - 2010-11-10 3:05 PM

Thanks 'Brambles' and Cliff will have a look at those, John I don't understand what didn't work, was it a link or something, maybe I'm being a dizzy blonde lol?

Michele

Dear Dizzy Blonde, what are you referring to as to did not work?

Have checked the links and both mine and cliff's appear to work.

Yours etc,

Dumb Dick.

Shell181 - 2010-11-10 7:28 PM

Was talking to Flicka re his post:-

Edit - Tinycurl link didn't work

Edited by flicka 2010-11-10 11:25 AM

-----

So many interests, so little time.

Flicka

Sorry Michele

Tintcurl is a way of reducing the length of a Hyperlink, but I got it wrong & was called away/

Have a look on this site:-

http://www.pitchup.com/

Then select "Open all year" & "Scotland" in the left hand side search options.

hi Shell,

we were up glencoe last new year cracking weather!! minus 12 new years eve!! the xmas week didnt get above freezing! so be prepared :D

brambles gave you a site red squirral....be warned it is very basic portaloos etc no hook up etc very scenic tho next to the river, fires are allowed no need to book (people were even in TENTS!!)

however there is asite in glencoe itself called invercoe, right on the banks of loch leven, no fires on site, but if you nip over the fence you can have them down by the loch side (dont tell i said that) obviously very good walking, pubs in ballaculish (half mile away) the clachaigh inn (about a mile away, towards red squirrel) a spar in glencoe, oban and fort william are near, with bus service it was brilliant, BUT the site does have to be booked !! and if it rains it will probably be for the week! its either/or up there

there are sites dotted around scotland what will be open.. at least 2 at loch lomond..dont take my space cos thats where we are going :D

jonathan

flicka - 2010-11-10 10:22 PM

Shell181 - 2010-11-10 7:28 PM

Was talking to Flicka re his post:-

Edit - Tinycurl link didn't work

Edited by flicka 2010-11-10 11:25 AM

-----

So many interests, so little time.

Flicka

Sorry Michele

Tintcurl is a way of reducing the length of a Hyperlink, but I got it wrong & was called away/

Have a look on this site:-

Then select "Open all year" & "Scotland" in the left hand side search options.

You don't have to use any 'site' to reduce the length of a link, it's very easy:

Before the link type the following (remove the space between l and = as I've had to do this to get it to display on the posting):

[url =

After the link type the following (again remove the space between the l and =):

] NAME [ /url]

* Replace NAME with whatever you want to call the shortened link, eg if it's about campsites, call it campsites!

So, it would look something like:

campsites[/ url]

(spaces added so it would display, remove them when you do it)

To use flicka's example, without the [url .... etc it would be:

with the [url ... etc it would be:

flicka's link

put simply....

(url=http://www.pitchup.com)flicka's link(/url)

but replace curly brackets with square ones.

Agree with red sqirrel being basic, forgo about the site along the road at invercoe which is a beautiful location on end of loch. Putting me in the mood here to spend Christmas on a campsite as well.

News flash.....campsites in Scotland have enjoyed an unprecendented level of bookings for the festive season and most which are open are now fully booked. It appears an MMM forum has been the cause of this craze to spend Christmas and the New Year camping. A spokesman for the MMM forum said he believed it was down to some one called Michele posting a question. Michele was not available for comment when we tried to contact her, believed to be on her way to Scotland to secure a pitch by a lochside early and carrying 3 tons of fire wood in her small campervan.

Thanks Ray and Flicka.

Jonathan - thanks, Invercoe is now on our short list.

Yes, although Red Squirrel looks a lovely site I think it is a bit basic for us.

Brambles - shame on you lol I got as far as reading that all the sites were full and went 'oh no' and actually believed it till I read further. That was very funny and I did laugh after when I realised but you did give me a bit of a panic attack lol

Michele

I know that there are some that have adverse opinions of both the Caravan Club and the Camping & Caravanning Club. However, visit their websites and there are quite a few 'Open All Year' sites all over their site network, including Scotland. Also worth looking at other sites not listed as 'Open All Year' as some stay open until first week of January so are not truly 'Open All Year'. There also used to be a website dedicated to 'Open All Year' sites but I lost the link, I did pass it on to other forum memebrs so someone may still have it, it was something like '365Camping.co.uk' or similar.

We have booked on an All Year Site near Pool (South Lytchett Manor' and are going there on 28th December until 2nd January. There is a bus stop right outside the site which runs to both Poole and Swanage and we have been able to download the timetable to get the times for the services over the dates we are there. Additionally there is a pub within walking distance of the site and we have pre-booked to attend their New Year Eve party.

We have never used the Motorhome over this period before so looking forward to it, Plenty of Gas and electric hok up so no concerns over keeping warm, and if temperatures drop too low I have a plan to share some body heat :D :D

Archived