Use of Kindle in the Motorhome

Basil

I took delivery of mine today (3G) and have spent the afternoon 'buying' books.   There are a lot of classics on that I have always intended to read, FOC.

Also bought a couple of novels on my reading list but also found that many (about 6 so far) that I want to read are not in kindle editions yet, hopefully they will be at some point.

My thinking in buying the 3G was to access weather forecasts, site details etc without needing to troll around to find wifi.  However, so far I have found it exceedingly slow (think dial-up) so if they were to impose a charge in future I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile.

Also, although I will have a stockpile of 'freebies' I intend to download chargable books as and when I want them so 3G is best for this, I think.

It will be interesting to hear how everyone rates their kindle experience after an extended period of use. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Basil - 2010-11-22 4:29 PM

Roger, sorry to appear stupid but why the need to be able to download books anywhere...

It depends on your reading habits, your motorhoming habits and your personal preferences.

Having 3G for me means:

1. I don't have to be near a computer or have it switched on to get a publication

2. I can get hold of one as the mood takes me or as I learn about it, rather than waiting until I'm near a wifi source (which I'm not often).

Say, for example, I'm reading the reviews section of a newspaper on the Kindle and like the look of something being reviewed or mentioned in passing. It's an easy matter to search Amazon for it or (more laboriously) use the built-in browser.

It's not a black and white thing (no pun intended), as I always have a laptop computer and 3G dongle in the van. You might not. (As I've mentioned, I get my weekend newspapers via the computer. Same with free books from the Gutenberg Project and similar places.)

Nevertheless, I still recommend the 3G one as it gives you greater freedom of choice. If you keep it a year, it will have cost you the equivalent of just under 80p a week extra.

Also, if, as promised, you can use the Kindle's free 3G connection while abroad, you'll save on overseas connection costs on your laptop or netbook.

Roger

Madmaggott - 2010-11-22 6:35 PMLooks like the original is #1

the latest wifi one #2

3G one #3

but it's not that clear is it?  So don't blame me if you put the wrong one!

No, both versions of the current model are Kindle 3 (and that's an unofficial label). 1, 2 and DX are earlier models.Roger

RogerGW - 2010-11-22 6:40 PM

Also, if, as promised, you can use the Kindle's free 3G connection while abroad, you'll save on overseas connection costs on your laptop or netbook.

Roger

Taken from the Terms and Conditions:

Use of Wireless Connectivity.

Your Kindle uses wireless connectivity to allow you to shop for and download Digital Content from the Kindle Store. In general, we do not charge you for this use of wireless connectivity. Your Kindle may use wireless connectivity to make other services available to you for which we may charge you a fee, such as personal file download and subscriptions when you are located in another country. The fees and terms for such services are located in the Kindle Store and may change from time to time. If your Kindle functions with third party services, such as Wi-Fi access points, a third party may charge you fees for the use of those services.

Your Conduct. You may use the wireless connectivity provided by us only in connection with the Service. You may not use the wireless connectivity for any other purpose.

Just bought the Wi-Fi version for her indoors - following glowing reccommendations. I was told that if a book is out of copyright, it is then available free - hence the vast amount of realy old classics. Good to have a few of those to read! I carry a netbook around with wi-fi and a dongle and don't think that I would get any better value if I had bought the 3G.

Mel B - 2010-11-22 6:52 PM

Your Conduct. You may use the wireless connectivity provided by us only in connection with the Service. You may not use the wireless connectivity for any other purpose.

The browser comes supplied with bookmarks for Google, Yahoo, BBC, Facebook, Internet Movie Database and other non-Kindle services, all of which work.

Perhaps someone should report Amazon to itself. 8-)

Roger

Tiny Tim - 2010-11-22 7:02 PM

I was told that if a book is out of copyright, it is then available free - hence the vast amount of realy old classics.

There are also some still in copyright where the author and/or publisher has waived charges.

Published works normally fall out of copyright when the author has been dead for 70 years but there are some where the author's estate has extended the period through some kind of legal wangle.

Hope you enjoy your Kindle.

Roger

RogerGW - 2010-11-22 8:22 PM

Don Madge - 2010-11-22 7:31 PM

Kindle Email :- I've put in my own e mail address

They mean the email address you get from Amazon when you register your Kindle. It takes the form xxxx@Kindle.com .

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'll get there in the end.

Don

This sounds like a wonderful invention and one that has been around for some time. This is the first time I have come across it though so I have a couple of questions please:

1. Is the print very small or can the size be adjusted?

2. How much guarantee do you get?

Patricia - 2010-11-22 11:33 PM

1. Is the print very small or can the size be adjusted?

You can independently adjust size of font, length of line and spacing between lines. I've tried it out on some elderly relatives and they've all read it with ease.

There's a button specifically for those actions.

2. How much guarantee do you get?

I've never looked. Amazon are a reputable trader, IMO, and you are anyway protected by the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. Also, if you pay by credit card, you get extra protection there.

Roger

Guest JudgeMental

If it can hold 3.500 book titles! again I say the only reason for getting a 3G venison is to get newspapers/magazines, that is fine if it works in Europe. but I cant imagine trying to read a Sunday paper on one, and I can buy a broadsheet weekend paper for approx 5 euro in Euro land anyway.........

if I was going away for 2-3 months at a time I would probably get one, but what with my excellent library (I can renew and order on line and download books as well) and cheap retailers like "the book repository" and "Abe books", paper is still very cheap and convenient

I got the millennium trilogy for about £12 this summer when it came out...pleased to see the kindle versions £3-4 each as well so thats is looking hopeful pricewise...........but other books £8-10 so not so good.

its a developing market and within 5 -10 years will take over a big chunk of the market...One thing, how do I reserve a sunbed! can hardly leave a kindle along with the towel! :D

Don Madge - 2010-11-22 8:31 PM

RogerGW - 2010-11-22 8:22 PM

Don Madge - 2010-11-22 7:31 PM

Kindle Email :- I've put in my own e mail address

They mean the email address you get from Amazon when you register your Kindle. It takes the form xxxx@Kindle.com .

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'll get there in the end.

Don

Hi Don if you email to "youremail"@kindle.com you will incur charges, if you email to "youremail"@free.kindle.com you won't.

You also need to go into your kindle account at Amazon and put in your email, to "Your Kindle Approved E-mail List"

You can set "Calibre" up to automatically send newspapers to your kindle via the @free.kindle account, as long as you leave "Calibre" running on your computor.

Olley

Guest JudgeMental
Olley are these newspapers "free" Or are are they all subscription? if yes, how much please? plus can you download via 3 G free in Europe, as this is still not clear from this thread.......

Archived