Use of Kindle in the Motorhome

Basil

Guest JudgeMental
RogerGW - 2010-11-24 6:49 AM

JudgeMental - 2010-11-24 5:36 AM

Olley are these newspapers "free" Or are are they all subscription?

Asked and answered already in this thread.

is your name Olley?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our two Kindles arrived this morning now the fun starts.

Olley you have confused me with those instructions about Kindle.

I will register one (hopefully) and the boss will do the other one.

Is it easier to register the Kindles on line or do it through the Kindle itself?

Don

Hi Don if you bought both kindles with the same Credit card they will come pre-registered to the same kindle account.

The need to register your email account to your kindle account, means that only email from that account will be forwarded to your kindle. You can't get spam.

If you send an email with an attached PDF or other file type to "youremail"@kindle.com Amazon will convert it to a mobi file for your kindle, they charge you for this on a per megabyte basis.

If you send the same email to "youremail"@free.kindle.com they won't convert it, and won't charge you.

Hi judge as Roger said their free, here's a couple of screen grabs which gives you some idea of what's available.

Only the Sun and FT of our mass selling Daily newspapers appear to be available, you can however get them on subs from amazon.

Olley

newsp.jpg.b718ef913ff823b94aabc8594cbd139e.jpg

newsp2.jpg.cd367c2766a4c087dce967cb70d95f12.jpg

Hi Olley,

I've checked my Amazon account and the Kindles have not been registered.

I get the following box in my amazon account:-

"Register your new Kindle to continue with your Kindle Edition purchase.

To register, give your Kindle a name and enter the 16 digit serial number located on the back of your device."

I can't locate a number on the back of the Kindle so it might be easier to register through the Kindle?

Don

Hi Don yes you can do that from the settings screen. Surprised its not pre-registered mine and others have been. My understanding was if you bought it with a CC then it was automatically registered to your account.

Just thought, did you have an Amazon account for buying books etc? Maybe its only registered if you have an existing account.

Olley

olley - 2010-11-24 12:27 PM

Hi Don yes you can do that from the settings screen. Surprised its not pre-registered mine and others have been. My understanding was if you bought it with a CC then it was automatically registered to your account.

Just thought, did you have an Amazon account for buying books etc? Maybe its only registered if you have an existing account.

Olley

Hi Olley,

I rang the help line and they set them up for us. :$ :$

I bought free books to try out the system and everything seems to be working OK.

Thanks to everybody who helped. :-D :-D

Don

olley - 2010-11-24 9:32 AM

Hi judge as Roger said their free, here's a couple of screen grabs which gives you some idea of what's available.

Only the Sun and FT of our mass selling Daily newspapers appear to be available, you can however get them on subs from amazon.

"English [280]" is not the best place. As I said earlier, you need to look in the "English (UK)" section. The Mail's there.

Roger

If anyone who has or is getting a Kindle would like to explore its use beyond what the manual says, here are two useful blogs:

1. The Kindle Worm -- http://www.thekindleworm.com/

2. A Kindle World blog -- http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/

I prefer the first* but they're both worth bookmarking.

*It's British, so is often more relevant, and is visually and verbally less frenetic than the second.

I see in this posting that the author was able to use the browser on her Kindle over the 3G link in several places overseas -- http://tinyurl.com/2b33628 .

Roger

Guest JudgeMental
olley - 2010-11-25 4:09 PM

Your right Roger, I wondered where the BBC had got to. :-D

Blimey so all these papers are free....I want one for Christmas :D

I have used my 3G for web browsing and email in France, Belgium and Germany over a period of several weeks which saved me lots of dosh where there was a charge on the sites for WiFi.

Provided that you use mobile versions of sites or Kindle friendly sites then the web browser is a tad clumsy but bearable.

The 3G is available in most countries that have a Vodafone presence.

I haven't used Calibre but have a browse around http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/

which has a link to RSS feeds for popular stuff like BBC news, UK newspapers etc., plus basic usage and help info.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2010-11-28 7:44 PM

Don't be greedy Eddie, you're already treating yourself to a new camper! :-D

... you could buy your wife one and ask to 'borrow' it though. ;-)

Nooooo wont work........ she already thinks she has a new super laptop (MINE really!) :-D

• 4 weeks later...

Guess what I had for Christmas off my grand-daughters? Really thrilled so going to bed with it now to try it out (too cold to sit around -17 here). Absolutely thrilled as I had never heard of them before I saw the threads on this forum.

PS I think I have the 3G one.

Sounds super,but it isnt :-(

It will cost you about £1 or 1€ or $1 per meg which is the standard roaming rate for say Voderphone (Note Orange the French telecom charges double the rate or £2 per meg)

Using kindle you will still pay £1 meg even if you log on to Orange or another super expensive telecom.

Another tip :-S Dont buy the small 6 inch version its to small it will drive you mad changing pages & if you use the larger text size 8-) *-) :'(

Caliber is a good e-book manager its super but be sure to open it then reduce it to tool bar before you go into Mac do Quick or wi-fi cafe as it can take quite a time to load,once loaded ok

Choose from the 220 English papers mags then while there downloading re open your Firefox or browser & continue online.

:-( When i have a wi-fi it can be such a rush i copy lots to "scrapbook" & or "read it later" to read later back in the camper (VW T1) *-)

That way you can get more from the wi-fi faster saving of pages

DO try before you buy the 6 inch really is very small

I have the Sony 505 i bought a few years ago & is still going 8-) The battery dose last a week or more even reading for several hours daily (if the books interesting enough ;-) BUT the contrast reduces still ok in sun but after a few days not so good under artificial light (^)

Oh yes caliber has a converter that is you can change ,say pdf to epub or kindle compatible in fact with caliber you can convert anything to read on you e-book B-)

OH another plus for caliber is its e reader :-D you can read e-books downloaded or added to caliber on your laptop clear bright LED screen which is why i pads have LED screens still

E ink is very good but your laptops better when you have power or no sun B-)

Two things i noticed reading through the posts

One e-books are not good at reference books such as Nikon handbook or "Guide to motorhome stops"

Why? Because to get from index to say page 208 you will have to scrol through 208 pages!! 8-) 8-)

(>) The newespapers listed are the same as caliber which will convert files for your Kindel sony ets FOR NO CHARGE :-( Not all the daily papers load "Wired" Financial times & the Economist regularly "fail" :-|

Reading a paper is easy 8-) Click on index link read article or scroll to bottom of index and read each item in turn Index is better *-)

Try caliber its still beta and free :-)

Eriba trafic - 2010-12-26 7:53 PM

Sounds super,but it isnt :-(

Another tip :-S Dont buy the small 6 inch version its to small it will drive you mad changing pages & if you use the larger text size 8-) *-) :'(

E ink is very good but your laptops better when you have power or no sun B-)

I thought the idea was to have a replacement for a book, not something the size of Encyclopaedia Britannica. For me the 6" is the optimun size, its light and just fits in my jacket pocket, so I can easily carry it about. For me I find it more comfortable reading it in landscape mode.

Can't see how a lappy is better for reading, you can hardly recline with it perched on your chest, and in bright sunlight, forget it. The only advantage is sitting at a desk at night, as the kindle has no backlight, you can however buy a small clip on light that plugs into the kindle itself.

Laptops are multifunction devices, ereaders are designed for one thing; reading. Why people keep trying to compare them seems barmy to me.

Olley

Olley

I am not trying to compare my Kindle with a Laptop / Netbook, but it does make an acceptable web browsing device for checking on bank details when abroad.

Yes it is a bit awkward to use and navigation is not so easy as with a dedicated device BUT it means that I can do everything with the Kindle and not take the other stuff away with me. So for the limited amount of time I spend browsing on the 'net whilst away; the Kindle does just fine :-)

You mis read my post.

A) Laptops are best for reading books IN LOW LIGHT inside evenings etc

B) The 6 inch e reader IS TO SMALL TO READ TEXT with comfort,if/when you enlarge the text you will have one sentence per page 8-)

I have a sony e-reader with a nice large screen which i take every where i read the telegraph Guardian Cnet Herald tribune all downloaded via "caliba" converted to epub & loaded on my e-book to read while having coffee at a pleasant cafe or relaxing on the beach

In the evening when the suns set i open my laptop and can continue reading and from time to time i puld my e reader into the USB to recharge B-)

With you e-reader you can enlarge the text if you load these posts *-)

Can I ask a question please? I've browsed kindle forums but can't find any help on this one:

If my wife (who doesn't have a kindle but has an Amazon account) wants to buy me ( who has a Kindle) a "surprise" kindle book, how does she get it to my kindle?

The only possible way I can see is that she downloads, onto her netbook, "kindle for PC", sends the book to that programme, "borrows" my kindle, attaches kindle to PC, and drags the book to my kindle.

However with due respect to her she is not particularly techie savvy - and if I did the business it would hardly be a surprise!

This seems to be a disadvantage compared with "proper" books which are bought, wrapped & handed over at the appropriate time.

Any thoughts please? Is there another way?

olley - 2010-12-27 3:57 PM

the kindle has no backlight, you can however buy a small clip on light that plugs into the kindle itself.

If you purchase the leather cover for the kindle it has a reading light which works from the Kindle power source. Bought OH the 3G version for Xmas and the light is really bright.

So thats why the cover is so expensive & had a lot of complaints/returns

Do note that e ink has several time less reflectivity ( contrast) than normal printed text & so hard to read without "bright" light a reading lamp works but very bad for the eyes :-(

To send a book i get them by SD card or (as the sony has a sony pro duo slot as well by sony card) just convert the book add to SD card and post

I assume the kindel has an SD slot just check if its standard SD mini or other the old kindels has SD

Other wise you can email an attachment (book files are small) open and load as the e-reader is charging via USB

Sophie - 2010-12-27 9:13 PM

Can I ask a question please? I've browsed kindle forums but can't find any help on this one:

If my wife (who doesn't have a kindle but has an Amazon account) wants to buy me ( who has a Kindle) a "surprise" kindle book, how does she get it to my kindle?

The only possible way I can see is that she downloads, onto her netbook, "kindle for PC", sends the book to that programme, "borrows" my kindle, attaches kindle to PC, and drags the book to my kindle.

However with due respect to her she is not particularly techie savvy - and if I did the business it would hardly be a surprise!

This seems to be a disadvantage compared with "proper" books which are bought, wrapped & handed over at the appropriate time.

Any thoughts please? Is there another way?

A far as I know if she buys a book on her account, it won't be readable on your kindle. Kindle ebooks are drm'ed to your kindle, via your kindle account. If you give her your password she could log on to your account and buy the book, I think she could use her credit card to pay for it.

Amazon are trialling ebook gift certificates in the states, so expect that to come over here soon.

Eriba trafic - 2010-12-27 9:49 PM

Do note that e ink has several time less reflectivity ( contrast) than normal printed text & so hard to read without "bright" light a reading lamp works but very bad for the eyes :-(

I can't agree with this, I read my kindle in low light without any trouble, maybe you have one of the older readers? The "E" ink on the kindle is a clear black type with plenty of contrast between that and the background, readable in any light you can read a normal book in.

Olley

Archived