Break down cover for Morocco

Tomo3090

I've just been ringing round for quotes for my insurance and mentioned we are going to Morocco in March 2011. Caravan Guard and Sureterm Direct won't cover Morocco on their policies and neither will issue a green card separately. So if you are with these it might be worth a checking phone call.

I've gone with my existing company, Comfort, who will issue a separate green card for £17.50.

The thing is I've been told by all companies that you can't get breakdown cover for Morocco from any UK company. Is this a new thing? What do others do? Has anyone got a contact number for recovery companies who do cover Morocco, I believe ADAC is one, but they're German.

(Comfort said the breakdown insurance on my policy would pay me back the recovery insurance fees if I claimed whilst there, but not cover me itself.)

This thread reminded me that anyone contemplating travel in their MH to any North African country should thoroughly check their vehicle insurance beforehand.

I think I'm right in suggesting that almost no normal policy issued anywhere in the EU covers North Africa.

Also worth double checking any private medical insurances, etc, too.

BGD - 2010-11-23 6:08 PM

Also worth double checking any private medical insurances, etc, too.

Safeguard do Personal Travel Insurance and this covers all countries bordering the Med, including Tunisia. It covers us for both trips in the Motorhome as well as other holiday trips (not in the Motorhome). Before I took the cover out I wanted to check that it was valid in Tunisia and Eygpt, which it is. I had to make a claim for a broken camerawhilst in Eygpt earlier this year. The Underwriters paid the claim (less the Ex cess) without any hassle.

Stephen.

I spoke to safeguard late July when we got our green card cover for Croatia, they said talk to them nearer the date for the Morocco cover. They also said that Morocco was classed as Europe. Now you have got us worried, I will talk to them tomorrow.

The Breakdown cover is under new vehicle warrenty.

Are you going with Desert Detours in March?

Stephen.

Yes we cant wait, but got a lot on before then. Its our little Caravan Club last Rally of the Year starting tomorrow, full Christmas meal etc on Saturday. we are then off on the 27thDec till 3rd Jan with friends to Glouctershire on a CL.

We will be going to Morocco by ferry from Portsmouth to Santander on the 23rd Feb. Going to stay nr Malaga for a few days before Morocco, getting the dog into Kennels.

See you there.

David

Mick, do you remember who you spoke to please? They told me they didn't cover Morocco or provide recovery for there. If we did breakdown we could arrange things ourselves there and keep receipts and POSSIBLY be able to claim some or all of it back when we get back.

I'm going to go with ADAC if I can't sort it as I know they deffo do provide breakdown and recovery.

Thanks Mick & Damar and others, I've now had the definitive answer from Comfort! We apply for our green card 14 days before we go and that will give us the relevent phone numbers for breakdown cover as well as accident cover. We contact the people in Morocco they rescue us and we will VERY LIKELY have to pay for it ourselves and claim it back on our return.

That'll do for me, sorted! :-D

Tomo3090 - 2010-12-01 3:26 PM

Thanks Mick & Damar and others, I've now had the definitive answer from Comfort! We apply for our green card 14 days before we go and that will give us the relevent phone numbers for breakdown cover as well as accident cover. We contact the people in Morocco they rescue us and we will VERY LIKELY have to pay for it ourselves and claim it back on our return.

That'll do for me, sorted! :-D

Be interested to hear who the breakdown contact is in Morocco.

Andy

Archived