Jeko Snow Belts or Snow Socks

Shell181

Guest JudgeMental
Shell181 - 2010-11-30 12:15 PM

Thanks JudgeMental, it seems as long as you have a 1cm of space between the caliper and rim then they should fit ok.

have you alloy wheels? as they look to me like simple loops through the wheel........ steel wheels are solid??

what van have you?

Guest JudgeMental
Shell181 - 2010-11-30 1:05 PM

No alloy wheels, hubby not had a proper look at our wheels yet cos of snow (lol), we have ford transit Hymer 642 CL

Jeez this is like pulling teeth lol

No, as in no, "I have not got alloy wheels" or no as in "yes I have got alloy wheels"...its all in the punctuation:-D

well you will need to ask Hymer or Ford to make sure......as you cant fit chains or anything that fouls the inner wheel on a Ford transit, have a look at the snow chain thread :-S

'I have NOT got alloy wheels' Teeth pulling finished !

Think we are going to buy the snow socks, I put this post on two other forums and have also found more posts from other people asking the same question and it seems to be any negative remarks are from the people who have never used them. Decision made

Michele

:-D

Guest JudgeMental

snow socks look quick and easy and while obviously better then nothing, I am not sure that you can use them in snowbound areas of Europe, where normally chains are obligitory (road signs in mountain areas). It all depends where you want to travel to.....But for genral camping i would like to ythink socks a great idea :-D

can you post back if you get to use them please

JudgeMental, no I don't think they are legal in Europe where snow chains are obligatory, we just wanted something for in the UK for in an emergency, we are off up to Scotland after Xmas so may need to use them then, will keep you informed.

KeithR - Yes someone posted a link on another forum with the article about the ambulances using them, I think they are great, they look so easy to use I think you just have to be careful to make sure you take them off as soon as you get onto tarmac etc otherwise it will damage them, that was the advantage of the snow belts they would be more hardwearing.......

Michele

:-D

Yes, snowsocks do work well, though, as I said in my recent MMM article, in slush on a steep hill, I did shred one, when it cut through to tarmac and spun, and I foolishly persisted, instead of backing off. However, as an occasional alternative to winter tyres, I think they're very useful, and a lot easier to fit than chains. You can run them, slowly, on bare tarmac, though obviously, you'd keep it to a minimum to reduce wear.

I'm keeping our van off the road at present, though, and relying on my (much less valuable!) car to get around.

Brom

We bought some Jeko straps and they do not work on our van. The clearance for the brake callipers is very minimal on our alloy wheels, however, they did just about slip through with minimal clearance. The problem was one of the straps snapped as soon as we moved the van. I think that they are not heavy duty enough for motorhomes. We are actually 4 tonnes, but I would not risk them on 3.5 tonnes either, they are not very thick plastic and are just not up to the weight. They would probably be fine for small motorhomes like romahome. It is difficult also to pull them so tight that they do not move at all. We are back to square one now and currently snowed in. We were wondering about the Thule snap on type if anyone has info on these. We did email Thule to ask if they were man enough to take our weight but no reply came. So if anyone wants to save a fortune on Jeko we have a set of 11 (usually 12 but one snapped) they retail at around £89.99 before p&p any offers?

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I am going to order some snow socks this weekend, if they have any left in stock after this weather (just not sure which make lol), don't want to risk the snow belts as ours is 3.5 tonne so very helpful advise Tof thanks :-D

Michele

Archived