Any Subscriber got January MMM yet?

Hazy Baby

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOOGLE-searching reveals that MMM-subscribers were/are not the only magazine readers affected by delayed delivery. This is a recent comment from the editorial staff of a mountain-bike magazine.

“…latest update is that due to the postal backlog that the Royal Mail are prioritising delivery of Christmas cards and presents - which is understandable but unfortunately that doesn't include magazines. Once again I can only apologise for the delay but I should also note that we're not the only magazine suffering such subscription delay problems, although that of course doesn't make up for not having your issue on time…”

It’s also worth looking at this:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-mail/8225009/Royal-Mail-drafts-in-extra-staff-to-clear-backlog.html

Camperdude - 2010-12-29 4:12 PM

paulmold - 2010-12-29 2:53 PM

I've had post today including my MH insurance which was only sorted on Christmas eve, but still no Mag.

Same here- I've cancelled my subscription in protest.

John

For goodness sake, so you are protesting against kids receiving their Christmas presents on time because the post office had to fight nature and the heavy snowfalls .

Some of you guy's attitudes beggars believe, As to earlier post warners shoud be looking into this....what, Santa's sack? The post office and all delivery companies had massive back logs, would you rather delivery charges and postage was increased so they have the infrastructure to cope with these rare occurrances. Go back 30 years, there was no such thing as fast delivery and you would wait weeks to get a package, the logistics nowadays to handle fast deliveries is astounding and if it goes wrong now and again so what. Anyway, Its the January issue and is not yet January yet! Now stop moaning.

I've had post today including my MH insurance which was only sorted on Christmas eve, but still no Mag.

John

I doubt the post office will take much notice of that. Seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face to me!

I'm just wondering what the logistics (as that seems to be the term used by most deliverers these days) of all this is.

I've had quite a bit of non-personal stuff delivered these last few days which have obviously been recently posted by the senders.

Quite a few of these items have originated near to Warners (although I don't know where the MMM mag is printed).

If there is a backlog as suggested by the PO and others, I would have thought (logically if not logistically) that they would have tried to get the items out that have been hanging around the longest.

Perhaps this isn't the way to look at it logisitically, given that most of the people delayed the longest by cancelled flights recently, had to wait even longer, in order to accommodate the ones booked onto flights that had just been resumed (hope that makes sense).

As you may have guessed, I'm still waiting too. :-)

Brambles - 2010-12-29 4:27 PM

John

For goodness sake, so you are protesting against kids receiving their Christmas presents on time because the post office had to fight nature and the heavy snowfalls .

Some of you guy's attitudes beggars believe, As to earlier post warners shoud be looking into this....what, Santa's sack? The post office and all delivery companies had massive back logs, would you rather delivery charges and postage was increased so they have the infrastructure to cope with these rare occurrances. Go back 30 years, there was no such thing as fast delivery and you would wait weeks to get a package, the logistics nowadays to handle fast deliveries is astounding and if it goes wrong now and again so what. Anyway, Its the January issue and is not yet January yet! Now stop moaning.

So, the point is - let's all just sit back and do nothing about things that don't go right?

Well, that seems to be a fairly light hearted way at looking at the world. I'm sure all those who have to wait for things that don't arrive (even if they gave taken a day off for it to be delivered), stand in queues for hours on end, never get replies or return phone calls from companies, pay for poor service etc. will take a very different view in the future.

After all, there's very little we can do about it now is there?

David

nuevoboy - 2010-12-29 5:14 PM

I'm just wondering what the logistics (as that seems to be the term used by most deliverers these days) of all this is.

I've had quite a bit of non-personal stuff delivered these last few days which have obviously been recently posted by the senders.

Quite a few of these items have originated near to Warners (although I don't know where the MMM mag is printed).

If there is a backlog as suggested by the PO and others, I would have thought (logically if not logistically) that they would have tried to get the items out that have been hanging around the longest.

Perhaps this isn't the way to look at it logisitically, given that most of the people delayed the longest by cancelled flights recently, had to wait even longer, in order to accommodate the ones booked onto flights that had just been resumed (hope that makes sense).

As you may have guessed, I'm still waiting too. :-)

This is where Warners magazines are printed:

http://www.warners.co.uk/contact-us.aspx

Having worked for Royal Mail in the 1960s, I believe your airport analogy is probably apt.

It's unlikely that magazines that have been subject to delivery delays due to being given a low priority prior to the Xmas period will be deliberately brought to the front of the delivery queue.

It's more likely that there are large parcels of MMMs buried (literally) at the bottom of piles of 'bulk post' at Royal Mail's main distribution centres and that the magazines will stay there until all the stuff above and around them gets handled.

January 2011's MMM has yet to arrive chez Uzzell, but I've got infinite patience so I don't much care when it turns up. And, if becomes evident that it's never going to arrive, then I'm sure Warners will send me a replacement.

Brambles - 2010-12-29 4:27 PM

If you don't mind me saying, that kind of attitude is why we all too often have to put up with third rate service in this country. Yes, there has been force majeure going on over the last couple of weeks, but unless customers tear a strip off their suppliers when they fail to perform, there'll be no incentive for them to up their game.

For the record, I've had to have a couple of conseignments from O2 over the last couple of weeks. Both were delivered by Royal Mail and both arrived at my door mid morning, having only being ordered online at 1630 the previous afternoon. I notice they've also been able to deliver my notification that I'll be in the b...dy Readers Digest competition...

The fact that so many magazines have been delayed suggests fairly upstream issues rather than issues at final sorting/delivery offices. That being the case, if I was Warners and being lambasted by my customers for poor performance, I'd be reminding RM that at that stage of the delivery chain, they're in a competitive market. Of course, it could be that Warners don't use RM and it's the competitor that's performing poorly : I can't comment as that piece of information will be on the cellophane wrapper and I still haven't received my copy.

In any case, I consider the "weather" aspect to be a red herring : I'm pretty sure that the magazine was due 3 weeks ago, way before Christmas and way before the adverse weather.

Derek Uzzell - 2010-12-29 10:34 AM

robertandjean - 2010-12-28 7:17 PM

As posted previously should not worry, flicked through copy nothing new just same old format and same old stuff; really does need new input. Reading forums much better.

During the time I've participated on this forum I've seen lots of postings about late delivery of MMM, but I can remember very few constructive suggestions on how the magazine's content could be improved.

I could easily live without any of the travel/campsite-related stuff in MMM, but I'm sure that many (perhaps most?) MMM readers really enjoy those articles. Even if that material were removed, I can't think of anything practicable that I'd like any better as a replacement.

If you want change, then you'll need to specify what you want - just saying "really does need new input" won't be sufficient to make anything happen.

Yes Derek can suggests ways could be improved. Travel articles need much more focus on where to stay, aires and similar as well as camp sites, rather than just info that can be found from tourist info sites. Balance of articles needs to be moved more towards European rather than just U.K. touring. Camp site reviews should be balanced by reviews of aires/ off-site places to stay. Reviews of new motorhomes need to be much more objective with a clear focus on coach built rather than van conversions, as more readers own the former rather than the latter (possible exception is MMM team who seem in main all to be van owners). News needs to be more upto date and at times provocative, a little like this comment!

Archived