Annual Habitation Service Check

dick GCT

Brian Kirby - 2011-02-13 5:18 PM
Mike88 - 2011-02-12 9:40 PM In order to keep the 3 year warranty going I'm supposed to get the van habitation serviced. ................

]Brian You say that the motorhome must be serviced by a Swift dealer. I understood that and am unsure why you thought otherwise. For me it was a question of not bothering or getting the job done for what previous posts suggested would be £200+Vat.However, a previous poster said that it could be done by Marquis for £99 which is reasonable. Marquis are a Swift Main dealer and my vehicle is a Swift so I shall be complying with the terms of the warranty.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike88 - 2011-02-13 5:44 PM ...............Brian You say that the motorhome must be serviced by a Swift dealer. I understood that and am unsure why you thought otherwise. ................

Sorry, no Mike, I hadn't thought you had misunderstood about the need for Swift to do the hab service, I was responding to the sentiment in this post, from above.

How Much??????? - 2011-02-13 10:30 AM ............ I think the waranty work is where the dealers make money for nothing, having folk think they have to have it done there or lose the cover. ...........

I thought it potentially misleading as it "Siameses" together the base vehicle and conversion warranties, as though both could be regarded in the same way.

It was not so much that I said the van must be serviced by a Swift dealer, as that it must be serviced by a Swift dealer if that is what the Swift warranty says must happen.  That was my point, to be sure the warranty terms are being fully complied with.  Sorry if unclear.

Brian Kirby - 2011-02-13 5:18 PM

...If you think one franchised Swift dealer is charging unreasonably for what needs doing, you are free to turn to another for a better price, but not to a non-Swift franchised dealer, possibly not even to a dealer franchised for a different Swift brand.  That warranty means exactly what it says, and if there is doubt, it will Swift who rule on its interpretation...

There's a good deal of warranty-related information on the Swift Group website, including this in the FAQ section:

"Q.Who can service my motorhome?

A.We would always recommend that the product is serviced by a recognised and approved Swift Group Dealer, or Swift Approved Repair Centre. However, we will accept services completed by an NCC approved dealership."

Other motorcaravan manufacturers may have much more restrictive warranty conditions.

Which, in part, illustrates the problem for owners.  The following is also from Swift's website, under the heading of Warranty.

"All motorhomes (other than the engine, chassis cab and associated parts referred to earlier in this handbook which are subject to the relevant chassis manufacturer's warranty) have a 3 year SuperSure manufacturer's warranty from the date of purchase (or hire purchase), which is subject to a chargeable annual service and inspection being carried out at an authorised Swift Group Service Centre."

So, a bit of an apparent contradiction there with: "However, we will accept services completed by an NCC approved dealership". 

That begs a few questions, doesn't it?  "Accept" for what purpose, exactly?  As evidence that the terms of the SuperSure warranty have been complied with?  Well, no, not of you (or Swift) are reading what the warranty actually says.  So, how are Swift's customers intended to interpret that little lot?

BTW, I'm not singling Swift out for criticism here, their name simply arose elsewhere in this string, and the rest flows from that: so I would not wish to imply they are any worse, or any better, than anyone else.  But, having said that, they are not exactly consistent, or clear, are they?  However, if they are reading this, my consultancy rates are very reasonable!  :-D

It simply relates to whether the owner of a van under warranty wishes to keep the warranty in force.  Whether or not they do this, is entirely their choice.

Once the warranty has expired (which may not be for 5 or 6 years), or been voided by non-compliance, it is non-existent, not "minimal".  Its conditions are then totally irrelevant, and "allow" nothing.

It is really as simple as that.

We have covered this question before but I cant find the post

"Has anyone bought a damp meter if so were from and how much"

also

Is there any guidance on carrying out a damp test ie. were do you prod it and what are acceptable levels , if any.

There is no way that I am paying my dealer the same extortianate cost as last year to carry out checks which I am quite capable of doing. My company is gas safe reg so no issues with the gas test, we are also electrically competent so no probs there either. checking the water system taps, pumps etc is easy. Checking the hab area is still attached to the chasis should be fairly obvious once you crawl underneath and have a look, and the rest of it like checking draw runners and window catches etc is quite frankly a joke. The only thing I have never done is a damp test but that cant be rocket science can it ?

Even though my 2 yrs remaining warranty will be void I feel compelled to do the job myself as from my experience warranties are not as comprehensive as they will have you believe and even if they accept an issue as a warranty job they either never acctually do it, do it wrong or even make it worse. I am a firm believer that if you want a job doing right do it yourself.

So any advice on the damp test is apreciated as are any general comments on the above statement ie. am I being a foolish smart arse etc etc etc (lol)

PS

Is it feasable to get dealer to carry out just the damp test at a slightly less extortianete cost, that way at least protecting chaussons 5yr water ingress warranty which would I expect be the biggest possible problem to encounter and have to rectify yourself ?

ips:

I was under the impression that Chausson's normal 2-year conversion-warranty did not stipulate that an annual 'habitation' service must be carried out to maintain the warranty's validity. Chausson's 5-year 'leaktightness' warranty does need an annual check by a Chausson agent, but that shouldn't be very expensive. Certainly that's what Chausson's 2010 UK brochure and website seem to be saying.

As your Flash is June 2009 vintage and you say you have 2 years of warranty remaining, perhaps you've got an extended warranty (I believe that's a Chausson option) and this does require annual habitation servicing?

My understanding is that damp-testing is like sex: the principles are straightforward, but experience is valuable and it's possible to make serious mistakes. It also helps to have good quality equipment.

Brian Kirby - 2011-02-15 12:26 AM

It simply relates to whether the owner of a van under warranty wishes to keep the warranty in force.  Whether or not they do this, is entirely their choice.

Once the warranty has expired (which may not be for 5 or 6 years), or been voided by non-compliance, it is non-existent, not "minimal".  Its conditions are then totally irrelevant, and "allow" nothing.

It is really as simple as that.

When i say 'minimal', i mean maybe six months if you are lucky on older vans. You wont get any second hand vans with six year warranties, and i did say it only relates to new/nearly new vehicles.My own came with two years, which will boil down to 2x8 month stints. Ill be starting my second stint soon, which will end about 4 months early due to the time of year i bought it. Come October-ish, my warranty will be worthless, as next time the vans used after that, it will have expired anyway.If i was using a van more or less year round, id view the warranty differently.

I've just sent a message to Chausson asking the questions:

Do I need to have a habitation service carried out when it is one year old, or do I just need to have the water ingress/damp check carried out?

I'll let you know if I get a response! :-)

Whilst I would be content not to have a full habitation check carried out, I wouldn't NOT risk the water ingress check not being done.

ips - 2011-02-15 2:36 PM

Is it feasable to get dealer to carry out just the damp test at a slightly less extortianete cost, that way at least protecting chaussons 5yr water ingress warranty which would I expect be the biggest possible problem to encounter and have to rectify yourself ?

Yes, it is feasible just to get the damp test done by a dealer - we had to have 6 monthly checks on our Rimor - but finding a WILLING dealer to do it separately from a full habitation services wasn't easy, fortunately we had one locally who dealt with Rimors anyway so it wasn't a major issue for us.

I know it will cost you ips, but I'd advise you to think again about having a habitation service done just before your warranty 'expires' (ie in June this year), that way if anything major is picked up it should be rectified by them before you 'go it alone'.

Mel B - 2011-02-15 5:15 PM

I've just sent a message to Chausson asking the questions:

Do I need to have a habitation service carried out when it is one year old, or do I just need to have the water ingress/damp check carried out?

I'll let you know if I get a response! :-)

Whilst I would be content not to have a full habitation check carried out, I wouldn't NOT risk the water ingress check not being done.

Just out of interest, what (if anything) does it say in your Chausson's warranty-related documentation about servicing requirements?

How Much??????? - 2011-02-12 9:08 PM

Well, ive been in touch with the much-recommended 'Kevin from Rossendale', and hes coming to do his stuff next month. Sounds a very fair bloke, as well.

In a weird way, even though i never look forward to parting with cash, im sort of looking forward to his check of the van, just to be reassured (hopefully), that theres nowt amiss with it.

How Much?????? can you let me know how you get on with this check, as im from keighley area and it might come in useful :-D

jonathan

Derek Uzzell - 2011-02-15 4:03 PM

ips:

I was under the impression that Chausson's normal 2-year conversion-warranty did not stipulate that an annual 'habitation' service must be carried out to maintain the warranty's validity. Chausson's 5-year 'leaktightness' warranty does need an annual check by a Chausson agent, but that shouldn't be very expensive. Certainly that's what Chausson's 2010 UK brochure and website seem to be saying.

As your Flash is June 2009 vintage and you say you have 2 years of warranty remaining, perhaps you've got an extended warranty (I believe that's a Chausson option) and this does require annual habitation servicing?

My understanding is that damp-testing is like sex: the principles are straightforward, but experience is valuable and it's possible to make serious mistakes. It also helps to have good quality equipment.

just to clarify my van is indeed june 2009 so i believe that there is 18months or so remaining on the hab warranty and i believe that the water ingress warranty is 5yrs total as long as its annually serviced by chausson approved agent. will be very interested in the outcome of mels email to chausson.

I've just scanned the booklet, it's a bit confusing, but basically it's got a 24 month 'standard' guarantee which, if we had wanted, we could have extended for a further 24 months (for a fee - we weren't asked).

Pages 5 and 6 give details of the standard 24 month guarantee. Paragraph 2 states that the equipment etc is covered if it has been: "correctly maintained in compliance with the recommendations mentioned in the Unit servicing handbook".

In the list on the left of the page it is interesting to note that it specifically invalidates the warranty if a high-pressure washer has been used on it.

Note the paragraph about repairs (starts at bottom of first column on page 6) which can be undertaken by another "dealer of the make", if you can't use the original selling dealer.

Page 7 gives details of the additional guarantee (optional), and the standard guarantee dates (just to confuse things!).

Pages 8 and 9 give details of the water ingress 5 year guarantee and the 'checks' that need to be carried out. Paragraph 2 onwards gives more details, it has to be done by a Chausson approved dealer, and it clearly states that "an annual test has to be carried out within 2 months following the anniversary date of the vehicle purchase". It goes on to say that the guarantee does not apply "to work carried out by someone other than a member of the approved dealer network"

In a nutshell, you have to:

- have the water ingress test done annually by an approved Chausson dealer;

- have the other items services in accordance with their individual manufacturers' booklets

- it is NOT clear whether you have to have an annual habitation check though!

*-)

359418892_Page5-24monthguarantee.jpg.f3791ea301380d6052cd00d054f5b757.jpg

2136066173_Page6-24monthguarantee.jpg.922cd199b9a72844e51b986743b7dac7.jpg

1119079806_page7-extensiontoguaranteeandstandardguaranteedates.jpg.fab2c0ba9d0f3bf2a209f7e7080b35cb.jpg

1212448086_Page8-Wateringress.jpg.909a63354181df3d1b33f36e67c04df6.jpg

1387243441_Page9-Wateringress.jpg.c27cfeb35030fbd66ca46b4a8c5f9c00.jpg

550467077_Page10-Wateringress.jpg.d6e2162399952d3066c57486733bf064.jpg

silverback - 2011-02-15 7:10 PM

Well, ive been in touch with the much-recommended 'Kevin from Rossendale', and hes coming to do his stuff next month. Sounds a very fair bloke, as well.

In a weird way, even though i never look forward to parting with cash, im sort of looking forward to his check of the van, just to be reassured (hopefully), that theres nowt amiss with it.

How Much?????? can you let me know how you get on with this check, as im from keighley area and it might come in useful :-D

jonathan

Well apparently he 'saves' up folk from given areas till hes a days worth, then comes across. If you are half-interested, it may be worth you giving him a ring sooner rather than later, as A) he gets very busy, and B), he may not get over our way again for a while - unless he gets a load more enquiries off my feedback!

Youll be the first to know anyway, mate.

Mick.

ips - 2011-02-15 7:17 PM

just to clarify my van is indeed june 2009 so i believe that there is 18months or so remaining on the hab warranty and i believe that the water ingress warranty is 5yrs total as long as its annually serviced by chausson approved agent. will be very interested in the outcome of mels email to chausson.

ips - double check as I think you might only have a 24 months warranty in total, not 3 years - in my experience it is unusual for a mainland Europe made motorhome to have more than 2 years total, sometimes only 1 (as with our Rapido 709F when we bought it new in 2003).

Below is page 4 of our booklet which clearly states it's 24 months for ours - do you have anything in your booklet to say it's 36 months??? :-S

2048164729_Page4-introduction.jpg.ba6082ac12eb5eac9a039717a4835cb7.jpg

Mel

Seems like i was wrong then we only have a poxy 2 yrs warranty. On the up side I dont need to worry about having a hab serive this year. Will have a word with dealer about just doing a damp test to keep 5 yr leak warrnty valid.

We keep 'crossing' with postings! :D

I hear what you're saying, but as I mentioned earlier:

I know it will cost you ips, but I'd advise you to think again about having a habitation service done just before your warranty 'expires' (ie in June this year), that way if anything major is picked up it should be rectified by them before you 'go it alone'.

Not having it done this year could prove to be a costly mistake .... we've found that it tends to be in the second year when you can have problems which can cost a packet to repair.

Twice now we had a problem just after the first year of warranty ran out with fridges, the first one was with the Rapido but as we'd negotiated an extra year's warranty from the dealer when we bought it, the cost was covered. With our Rimor, which only had 1 year's warranty, the man from Dometic agreed for it to be repaired as if under warranty as it had only just gone out of warranty, literally by a few days.

How Much??????? - 2011-02-15 7:35 PM

silverback - 2011-02-15 7:10 PM

jonathan

Well apparently he 'saves' up folk from given areas till hes a days worth, then comes across. If you are half-interested, it may be worth you giving him a ring sooner rather than later, as A) he gets very busy, and B), he may not get over our way again for a while - unless he gets a load more enquiries off my feedback!

Youll be the first to know anyway, mate.

Mick.

cheers Mick,

not needed till later in the year, but worth nowing about ;-)

jon

ips - 2011-02-15 7:43 PM Mel Seems like i was wrong then we only have a poxy 2 yrs warranty. On the up side I dont need to worry about having a hab serive this year. Will have a word with dealer about just doing a damp test to keep 5 yr leak warrnty valid.

Forgive the intrusion, but if your booklet is the same as Mel's, and you want to preserve that 24 month warranty, you do need to have the items listed under Maintenance visit, on pages 9 and 10, carried out by a "member if the brand's dealer network".  No ticks in the boxes, no warranty!

Brian Kirby - 2011-02-16 12:34 AM
ips - 2011-02-15 7:43 PM Mel Seems like i was wrong then we only have a poxy 2 yrs warranty. On the up side I dont need to worry about having a hab serive this year. Will have a word with dealer about just doing a damp test to keep 5 yr leak warrnty valid.

Forgive the intrusion, but if your booklet is the same as Mel's, and you want to preserve that 24 month warranty, you do need to have the items listed under Maintenance visit, on pages 9 and 10, carried out by a "member if the brand's dealer network".  No ticks in the boxes, no warranty!

Understood. van will be 2 yrs old this june so if hab warranty runs out in june cant see the point in a hab service in may ? Unless they find a fault, which they wont.

Brian Kirby - 2011-02-16 1:06 PM

Agreed.  Besides, if you didn't have the service check in June 2010, the warranty is already dead!

I did have a full service in june 2010 at a ridiculous cost hence my reluctance to have it done again when the warranty will expire a week or so after having it done. I cant see the point as I know there are no faults and even if there was I could probably repair it myself at less then the service cost. I will however give them the £44 or so to carry out the damp test in order to retain the 5yr water leak warranty (even though its probably not worth the paper its written on)

Archived