Morocco- Water sterilization

Charles Chodkowski

I have a water filter which removes 99.999 percent of nasties in the fresh water supply and have been told by the supplier that I do not need to treat the water in the tank in anyway. We will be travelling to Morocco in the New Year and touring there for six weeks and I think it might be wise to take extra precautions with our on board water supply, can anyone suggest the best treatment.

And a happy New Year to all!

Guest Tracker
Try only using tap water for washing etc as bottled water is so cheap in Morocco that it really is not worth an upset stomach and the galloping doodas by using anything else for drinking, tea making or teeth brushing!

Guest Tracker
We bought drinking water in either 5L containers or packs of 6 x 1.5 L bottles and it is widely available - always ensuring that the bottles were sealed before paying - if that much 'extra' weight poses a problem you may need to rethink your payload - or just put less in the main water tank and empty the waste more often!

"Elsin" a tastless, odourless water treatment, add a few drops to a tankful and it's good to drink.

Made by Elsan and they will sell direct.

I always use it in warm climes, a tank of warm water must get a few bugs after 4 days, (that's how long my tank lasts).

H

We have always used Milton Baby Bottle Sterilizing Fluid (can be bought in any pharmacy) after seeing one tap being used at a French Aire for rinsing  cassettes and filling fresh water tanks!!!!!!!!!  Only half a cap per tankful to avoid that just been in a swimming pool aroma.

I don't normally criticize other people's point of view but in Morocco's defence I've got to say that I found it to be a friendly and exciting country to visit and I can't wait to get back there in February.  If you are expecting "Caravan Club" / UK standards stay at home but where's the fun and adventure in that.

Guest Tracker

We found Morocco to be a friendly and fascinating country and we never once felt threatened or at risk.

That said it is still a developing country and the standards of most things including hygene are not up to what we are used to at home and there are of course thieves and conmen just as there are in the UK and every other country.

The biggest issue is beggars and itinerant sellers who appear from nowhere whenever you stop and who can be very very persistent - but to be fair to them when they see what we have compared to what they have can you blame them for trying and in most cases a polite smile, shake of the head and 'no thanks' or 'non merci' is enough to get you some peace and quiet - at least until the next one arrives.

Many of the roads are 'interesting' in their condition and routing and many do not have a tarmac surface as we know it but drive with appropriate care and alertness and exploring the country is a delight because you never know what you will find around the next corner. NEVER drive through a pothole full of water as you will not know how deep it is!

All in all a Motorhome touring delight but, as with all things, you have to accept the bad with the good and I can see that it might not be everyone's ideal destination.

Well said Tracker!

We found Morocco well worth the visit.

It is a very interesting country, full of surprises and wonderful scenery. Yes some of the people are persistent, but they are friendly and will move on with a smile and a definite "no thank you"

My advice to our readers with any thoughts on the matter- go for it. If unsure go with Desert Detours. A great experience!

Tomo3090 - 2010-12-28 8:54 PM

Is your filter a Nature Pure one? If so we've got one and we've been assured it will be fine to use tank water drawn through it for cooking and drinking. We got it to save weight on bottled water for when we go to Morocco in March.

Tomo,

We too have a 'nature pure' filter and tap in our recently aquired van, can you tell me when the filter will need changing ? only they are not cheap, the cheapest I have seen is £50. so very expensive if it's annually.

(or am I being 'stingy' ?). ;-) Ray

Hi

We went about 4 years ago. Had a great time, some of traffic around the cities was exiting but i have seen just as bad elsewhere.

We drank bottled water but kept the tank full from local water points for washing - never even thought about filtering the water - still no problems.

I will definitely return - there is much more to see.

Peter

Rayjsj - 2010-12-31 5:34 PM

Tomo3090 - 2010-12-28 8:54 PM

Is your filter a Nature Pure one? If so we've got one and we've been assured it will be fine to use tank water drawn through it for cooking and drinking. We got it to save weight on bottled water for when we go to Morocco in March.

Tomo,

We too have a 'nature pure' filter and tap in our recently aquired van, can you tell me when the filter will need changing ? only they are not cheap, the cheapest I have seen is £50. so very expensive if it's annually.

(or am I being 'stingy' ?). ;-) Ray

You only need to change the filter cartridge when the flow slows down too much. As it's only filtering the 'drinking' water it shouldn't need changing too often if the water you take on board is relatively clean. Ours tends to need changing about every couple of years.

We have have had no problems drinking the water from it throughout Morocco.

Andy

Have been to Morocco twice for a number of weeks both times. Allyou need to do is put a number of steralisation tablets in your tank. You only need bottled water for direct drinking. Your tank water will be fine for tea, coffee and cleaning your teeth . I have had no trouble at all.

Please ignore the comments from K-1 who obviously expected British type camping sites and has no sence of adventure. The comment about robbery is complete nonsence. Have a look at the web site of Blue Camel Tours for some idea of what you will come across. You will enjoy it if you have an open mind.

One thing is for sure, you will have a great time in Morocco, as long as you keep an open mind and except that you are visiting a third world country, different culture and often lower standards.

Crime is minimal and effects tourist little. If fact the only “crime” we experienced on our two visits to Morocco were on the way there, in France and Spain. You will be surprised regarding the excellent condition of most of the main roads and if it is your intension I be leave you can now drive from Ceuta/Tangier to Agadir on motorway. Water, the subject in question will present no problem at all.

We have now been to Morocco twice, both times with Desert Detours and had a fantastic time. In fact we are retuning with them again later this year.

They used to issue a free 50 page Q&A doc on request that covers most points and they send out a superb free bi-monthly news letter about Morocco, interestingly not about themselves.

Have a great time.

doonhamer - 2010-12-29 5:09 PM We have always used Milton Baby Bottle Sterilizing Fluid (can be bought in any pharmacy) after seeing one tap being used at a French Aire for rinsing  cassettes and filling fresh water tanks!!!!!!!!!  Only half a cap per tankful to avoid that just been in a swimming pool aroma.

Be very careful with this.  Milton contains chlorine, and chlorine base products are specifically warned against by Truma for use in any of their stainless steel jacketed water heaters, Combi or other.  Chlorine eats stainless steel and should not be left in contact with it.  Ignoring this advice risks perforation of the stainless steel jacket. 

Truma advise that Milton may be used to sterilise the system before use, providing: a) it is used in the recommended concentration, b) it is immediately drained out after the minimum recommended contact time, and c) the whole system is immediately thoroughly flushed.  New water heaters, especially Combis, are VERY expensive.

hallii - 2010-12-29 3:21 PM "Elsin" a tastless, odourless water treatment, add a few drops to a tankful and it's good to drink. Made by Elsan and they will sell direct. I always use it in warm climes, a tank of warm water must get a few bugs after 4 days, (that's how long my tank lasts). H

Well, nearly!  :-)  But, this is good news, thanks Geoff! 

The product is actually called Elsil, not Elsin.  It is, as stated, intended to maintain stored water in sterile condition.  There is also Elsan Fresh Water Tank Clean, which is for cleaning, de-scaling, and sterilising the fresh water tank before use.  Both products are stated to be chlorine free.  Link here: http://tinyurl.com/24vs59x

Elsan do not sell direct, but their website has links to two possible on-line sources. 

The first, World of Camping has both, here: http://tinyurl.com/29znyqw and here: http://tinyurl.com/24vfsyu

The second, Bridgend Camping and Leisure, has only the Elsil, here: http://tinyurl.com/2vx9qcv

On the face of it, either product would be preferable to using Milton in systems containing stainless-steel elements, and both look reasonably priced.  Since both on-line retailers charge for delivery it would be worth asking in camping /caravan /motorhome accessories shops to see if they have stock, and at what price.

I can bear testament to Brians comments, i always used to use Milton to sterilise my water system, running it though and then leaving it in the waste tank to sterilise that too. That was until I developed a leak in the bottom of my 'Carver' round boiler tank, when removed i found that 'Residue' had formed in the bottom (calcium ?) and absorbed the chorine, which had then 'Eaten' it's way through the plastic liner and the stainless steel tank. Our low wattage kettle also got destroyed by water not sufficiantly 'Flushed through' on another occasion.

I stick to 'proper' non-chorine products since then. Ray

sorry a bit 'off subject'.

sorry if my post sounded so different from other readers, just did not like the place felt insecure several attempts made in the walled souk in cassablanca to lure us up side streets and up staircases to view goods which we declined. found traffic lights have no meaning unless a uniformed police officer was in the centre of the junction, no one gave way in traffic it was just a free for all scrum. groups of young boys seem to throw stones at anything that moves. everyone and everythink seemed so filthy. perhaps we just went to the wrong area's.

as i said before the fresh fruit ad veg markets were excellent only good bit.

Ahhhhh. If you went to places such as Casablanca that says it all. Probaly the worst representitive place [after Tangier] in Morocco.

If there is a nextime try a few of the wonferful, safe and friendly inland towns and villages.

Quite by chance today I received the latest Desert Detours News Letter. Usual interesting and helpful stuff for solo travelers plus a couple of articicles covering the WATER subject in Morocco.

duetto owner - 2011-01-03 1:38 PM

just did not like the place felt insecure several attempts made in the walled souk in cassablanca to lure us up side streets and up staircases to view goods which we declined. perhaps we just went to the wrong area's.

as i said before the fresh fruit ad veg markets were excellent only good bit.

I have spent a lot of time in the Middle East and some northern parts of Africa and what you describe is just the 'norm' for these areas. However, it can be a little scary at first but you should not feel unsafe. If you do not like the bartering or what you may consider persistent harrassment then stay away from the tourist areas. If you go to the areas of the Souks where the locals shop then you will not get any of this and you will find it a much more pleasant experience. The bartering for me is part of the fun, if you really are not interested in buying something but the shop person won't let you go then offer a really ridiculous price and they will soon wave you away :D I think that all you need to remember is that these people are just trying to earn a living and if they can make a huge profit, usually by inexperienced travellers not bartering, then they will take it. If you ever are in a bazaar and an American enters you can be assured that whoever was pestering you to buy will soon disappear over to the American's as they rarely barter and have lots of dollars.

Archived