Compact vacuum cleaner for campervan

mikemelson

Can anyone out there recommend a mini vacuum cleaner powerful enough to hoover up the usual muck (crumbs, sand & dust etc.) that seem to gather in a campervan.

I was going for the Black & Decker 12v Dustbuster PAV1205 but have heard conflicting reports on this model.

Owning a Symbol, my space is almost non-existant so the 'vac will have to be very small yet powerful. There must be something out there that fits the bill.

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Mike.

Guest Tracker
Over the years we have found compact vacuum cleaners, mains, rechargeable or 12v, to be not very effective and occupying valuable storage space in exchange for the dubious benefit so we now give the van a good going over, seats and floors, with the domestic vacuum before leaving home and make do with a brush and dustpan which seems to work just as well and cvosts nowt whilst we are away - plus even less need for a ehu as well!

We bought a 12 rechargeable just to clean up the upholstery in the Caravan now and again but it was pretty much useless,we have one that came with the Motorhome,not yet tried it but don't hold out much hope for it, we did buy a hoover off e bay,a  Factory refurbished job for £30  not the stand up and push type as I find they bump into the  furnishings within the M/H, Like Tracker we use a dust pan and Brush to freshen things up when out and about,then give everything a good hoovering out when home prior to our next outing. but I would save your money and not buy a rechargeable,only good for lifting the crumbs from the table.

I've had a Black & Decker Dustbuster 12V vacuum-cleaner for about 5 years. I think it's an AV1200 model - an earlier (and definitely cheaper!) version of this one:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/209702/black_decker_dustbuster_auto_cyclonic_action_12v.html

I'm happy enough with it and the 5m-long power cable allows me to reach to the back of the motorhome from the dashboard 12V socket. (If you do opt for a 12V vacuum-cleaner that plugs into a dashboard socket, you'd be wise to check that the socket's amperage-capability is adequate for the cleaner's current draw.)

Having had one previously, I'm not keen on rechargeable models.

Tracker - 2011-01-05 2:07 PM

Over the years we have found compact vacuum cleaners, mains, rechargeable or 12v, to be not very effective and occupying valuable storage space in exchange for the dubious benefit so we now give the van a good going over, seats and floors, with the domestic vacuum before leaving home and make do with a brush and dustpan which seems to work just as well and cvosts nowt whilst we are away - plus even less need for a ehu as well!

+1, if you have 'almost non-existant' storage space, then dust pan and brush are way to go.

We have the Dyson rechargable hand held vac, very powerful and does not take up that much space. When we collected our new Autotrail in May it came with an electric rechargeable carpet cleaner. It has an extendable handle that breaks down in to 3 parts for easier storage, not bad for picking up loose crumbs etc but not as good as the Dyson so we don't use it.

We have had acouple of Dirt Deveils which were so-so but the last was really noisy. The best on the market is the Dyson handheld Animal DC31 with rotating brush. It does require charging on mains but is quite compact and easy to store. No bag, so no mess and brilliant suction. Expensive at about £145 but we got ours from B&Q when they had a 20% sale and used our over 60's card as well to get another 10%. My wife has also found it to be brilliant for the stairs at home.

Having given upon 'rechargables' which last about 10 mins per charge and have cvery little power anyway, several years ago,I think it was at one of the shows, we purchased a Beaumark V600, which is is very small 600W cleaner. Model quotes BM222

It's very powerful, and has always served us very well. I've tried looking for one on the internet, and there seems to be several on e-bay. Didnt cost a lot, and is very easy to store, so you might find one at a show, or else search on-line

Archived