2012 Olympics the money making starts here

fjmike

Just noticed that the CCC are opening some Temporary Holiday sites for the above event. Very nice you might say but then look at the rates £30 per night with a minimum stay of three nights . The "Club" then show their true motives (IE make as much money as possible) by offering camping to non- members, surely this breaks their own rules that THS's can only be used by members????

have a look http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/news/2011/jan/club-offer-campsites-during-summer-2012/

Surely you don't think the "Clubs" are not a "Business"! (Like the Olympics)

I expect that some of the profits will trickle down to us poor members and not just be spent on "Hospitality" :-D

I recon I can get 5 vans and a doz tents in my back garden........Hmmmmm

Not a bad income, have to cut the grass and dig a toilet pit...............Naw, not worth the hassle.........but if we're away and the kids are looking after the place...............

THS are run by the DA's concerned and not by the CCC, it is there fore them that set the prices.

I would also suggest that the sites on which the THS's are located are owned by someone else and it is them that will set the unit price not the DA. The DA will then add on a bit for them selves this goes in to the DA's funds for their members not to the CCC.

As to the lenght of stay it is also for the DA's to make this decision. I would also hazzard a guess that you will be lucky to get a cheaper deal else where.

The people that run these DA's are members and do not take payment for their services, I feel that we should be greatful that they take the time to find these venues and are prepared to run these sites so we can use them.

Although these sites are being referred to as Temporary Holiday Sites by the C&CC I think they will be centrally rather than DA run, with a temporary licence. Like the one they run for the British Leisure Show at Windsor and used to run for the NEC show. That's how they can be open to non-members.

I bet that £30/night is the cheapest accommodation to be had anywhere near the Olympic site, not that it bothers me one bit - I won't be going anywhere near it and if I can contrive to be out out of the country when it's on so much the better...

Andy

I am someone else who also plans to be as far away as possible from the olympics in August next year, especially at the eyewatering prices the CCC are planning on charging. However, I would be interested in seeing more campsites in London after the olympics finish. I am sure there will be a lot of spare land around the stadium - VIP car parks, practice fields, sites of corporate hospitality tents for expensive junketing of all those VIPs, etc.

The olympic organisers witter on at length about 'the olympic legacy' in justifying the large amount of money they are spending. How about another campsite to relieve the pressure on Crystal Palace and others within public transport reach of London? That way we would get great tourist benefits for the future - bear in mind the country is bust and we need the euros from all those foreigners!

London is by train for me and at a time when the cost reasonable........

They don't want me driving there and I don't want to drive there anymore.

As for the cost, although us tykes are s'posed to watch our cash I think it is a reasonable charge...... Just wait until nearer the time and see how much hotels and B n Bs cost!

Archived