Fee free debit card for abroad

fjmike

We had been thinking of changing our account from Nationwide to Norwich and Peterborough when we are next back in the UK but from what we have been reading about them it sems like they will have been sold by then and that the offer was a last stand of desperation. We have been using Caxton topped up from Nationwide since November and so far it seems to be working well for us.

You also need to remember that N & P unlike Nationwide, is not a member of the clearing banks system. Anything you pay into them has to go via Barclays into their account and then get allocated to your account. Also there may be delays in getting money out because of this roundabout route your money takes.

N & P is basicaly a savings bank, and will not provide as many facilities as a 'proper' bank, eg I do not know if you can do direct debits etc with them. In addition, it may be inconvenient if you do not live near Norwich or Peterborough, as they do not have a wide spread of branches outside East Anglia. Although I rarely go into a branch of Nationwide who I have my account with, it is nice to know that I have 3 of them within 15 mile radius. I did think of changing to Santander, who have some good deals for foreign travellers, but they have a rather dodgy reputation for customer service (see Jessica in most Saturdays Telegraph!) so I think I will stay with Nationwide anduse their credit card (fee free on purchases abroad) . N & P should perhaps stick to what they do best.

Have a look at Santander Zero One current account.

Just did my first Euro transaction and received the bank exchange rate at the time

no fees at all well worth changing to

(if you can meet there conditions min £1000 per month going in to a/c )

It works for me after the Nationwide charges

Mike

mike.T - 2011-01-10 11:43 AM

Have a look at Santander Zero One current account.

Just did my first Euro transaction and received the bank exchange rate at the time

no fees at all well worth changing to

(if you can meet there conditions min £1000 per month going in to a/c )

It works for me after the Nationwide charges

Mike

It's perhaps worth adding that Santander has recently altered its rules regarding existing Santander current-account holders 'upgrading' to a Zero Account. (See Santander website for more details.)

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-10 5:20 PM

It's perhaps worth adding that Santander has recently altered its rules regarding existing Santander current-account holders 'upgrading' to a Zero Account. (See Santander website for more details.)

Yes the new rules came in force 1st of January thus I changed mine then.

What with the Euro at 1.2 to the pound now is a good time to look for the sun !!

Mike

Archived