Recovery and Breakdown cover

bigal

braunston - 2011-01-16 8:20 PM Hi, I had a accident in Germany several years ago and I won't go into all of the details, but I was told the recovery after a Road Traffic Accident was paid for by my insurance company, and while my breakdown company may be the company that is used to recover the vehicle that decision would have to be made by my insurance company as they would be the ones picking up the tab so to speak as the recovery and repairs would all be down to them. They appear to see the words recovery after and accident to be different from Road Traffic Accident, don't ask me why it just seems like its a grey area with insurance.

Sorry, but unless this unspecified insurer and unspecified recovery contractor were in fact Comfort, and their "Advantage" RAC recovery package, I have to ask whether this comment has any relevance to the case in point.  What other insurers, or other recovery contractors, do under particular circumstances, just cannot be taken as general guidance applicable across the board.

How Much??????? - 2011-01-16 6:25 PM Given that it appears members here know more about Comforts obligations than they do, i am even more resolved not to touch this company with a bargepole. Its all very well having it in front of you in 'black and white', but if they refuse to acknowledge this at a time when you really dont want to start arguing the toss (ie when youve already broke down), i personally want no truck with them. Interestingly, i asked what happens should i take their RAC cover option, and was told that they would unquestionably repatriate myself and the vehicle to my home or destination. But would they?? *-) ...............

I think you perhaps rush to judgement, and have not fully understood the difference (and relationships) between Comfort, Aviva, and RAC.  There is a mix up.  This can happen with any arrangement, so merely choosing a different provider will not guarantee freedom from mix ups.  What I think we all need to know is the outcome, and how it is settled, and until we do, we cannot fairly judge how the parties perform when the chips are down.

Having said that, you must, of course, insure with whoever appeals to you.  It is your van, and your money.

Well, we've just waved the 'van goodbye as it went down the road on a huge low-loader.

I'll try to cut a long story short: no contact from anyone, so at around 11.30 Roger rang Comfort, but couldn't get hold of the underwriters. He then decided to contact the Mercedes garage to find out how much a low-loader would be from the company they use (if we had to pay there was no way we would go via the RAC). On ringing the number he was asked for the registration number to sort it out, and was told that the RAC had already requested them to pick up the vehicle at 11am. Luck or what, hitting the same company? A short while later it duly arrived, except it wasn't big enough (the driver blamed the RAC for not passing on the correct info re size etc) so arranged for the above huge low-loader and it has not long since left.

Received email from Comfort a short while ago, saying they had tried to ring, and that the Director has authorised the 'van to be taken to the Mercedes garage (at that point we were outside with the vehicle).

Just rang Comfort to discuss the problems we have had, but the lady on the other end would not be drawn into any discussion, other than to say "it is sorted out now". She said that, as it was such a short distance on top of the 10 miles (!!!), they had authorised it and should anything like this happen in the future, a decision would then have to be made again. She would not be drawn further on questioning.

There was no explanation of the problems encountered by the RAC and ourselves reading from different policy booklets. The issue has been side-stepped, but at least we have got what we wanted and, as far as we are concerned, entitled to.

We still feel that the whole issue re "10 miles" and "nearby garage" is a very grey area, although we have succeeded this time.

Ina.

silverback - 2011-01-16 6:29 PM

How Much??????? - 2011-01-16 6:25 PM

As for my impending renewal, i think i am going to opt for Frank Pickles Insurers. This affords the benefit of their office being relatively close to me (id never heard of them until this week!), therefore i can hopefully approach them face to face, and hammer things out in detail prior to purchase.

could you tell me where and who this Frank Pickles insurers is

cos im in the same area as you and could be worth investigating when its renewal time

jonathan

Hi, they are in Otley, on the main road out towards Caseys camping place. They seem like a family run outfit, which is always good, as they cant afford bad press.

They also seem to know what they are about having spoken to them. I dont think you can beat face-to-face questioning with your broker, as opposed to some flyboy on the phone in nowheresville whos only interested in taking your money. Theyve also quoted me £30 less than my old insurers, which is a bonus!

Archived