Channel Crossings; Best price for this summer?

Jackal

Currently got a school holiday (26/07/11 04/09/11) with human times (13.00 - 09.00) (Dover - Calais) with SeaFrance at £105.

Usually only pay £55-£70 with Norfolkline via the CC but they seem to want roughly £150 at the mo'.

Anyone beat that or got any opinions?

Agree with Mandy - the tunnel every time ... We do get good use out of it as we go to France every 8 weeks or so - that means frequent traveller at £39 each way for a a car and an extra £9 for a MH of any size is good for us.

We have tried the DFDS line (? formerly the Norfolk Line) but the cheapness was counteracted big time by the longish journey (compared to the tunnel). By the time we arrived in Dover we could have been almost home if we had taken the tunnel route. :-|

Guest JudgeMental

Tunnel! £14 more then NFL/P&O for our month in the sun (mid July out - mid August back) and far better crossing times

Had such a poor return journey with NFL after a long drive up last August (packed, noisy ship, truly horrible!) I was surprised to find the tunnel reasonable again with excellent crossing times......

JudgeMental - 2011-01-12 11:47 AM

Tunnel! £14 more then NFL/P&O for our month in the sun (mid July out - mid August back) and far better crossing times

Had such a poor return journey with NFL after a long drive up last August (packed, noisy ship, truly horrible!) I was surprised to find the tunnel reasonable again with excellent crossing times......

Agreed Judge! Another plus point - you can cancel at the last minute, make changes or arrive early (sometimes VERY early) the most it will cost you - and only when you cross into peak time - will be £20 (nothing if off peak). Can't wait for the next trip now.... 11th February B-)

Have yet to get the Tunnel at a realistic price. Crossing in June quote of £103.00 as against £42.00 on the brand new P&O ferry. I appreciate the tunnel is quicker but I really enjoy the sea views rather than being stuck in the cupboard under the stairs. You never no, the tunnel may sometime come into the competitive world

catinou - 2011-01-12 11:53 AM
JudgeMental - 2011-01-12 11:47 AMTunnel! £14 more then NFL/P&O for our month in the sun (mid July out - mid August back) and far better crossing timesHad such a poor return journey with NFL after a long drive up last August (packed, noisy ship, truly horrible!) I was surprised to find the tunnel reasonable again with excellent crossing times......
Agreed Judge! Another plus point - you can cancel at the last minute, make changes or arrive early (sometimes VERY early) the most it will cost you - and only when you cross into peak time - will be £20 (nothing if off peak). Can't wait for the next trip now.... 11th February B-)

Believe me, I'd prefer the Tunnel in some ways, apart from it doesn't really offer you a break when you may have been on the road for 2 days already (think the Southern tip of Italy last time and Venice this time) but the main reason is cost. It's never been the cheapest option whenever we've searched.

NFL is £150 plus with the CC and sadly the Sunday and Friday crossings aren't an option. We arrive back in Venice from Greece at 08:00 on Friday the 2nd of September and are back at work on Monday the 5th!

The CC have The Tunnel at £138. Not worth the extra 25%, IMHO. The least I can offer my kids is a sea of balls at the end of such a massive journey!!!!!

Guest JudgeMental
believe me the journey back last August offered no kind of break or respite! we had difficultly finding somewhere to sit let alone a Chance for some shut eye which I desperately needed (I had my pillow :-S) It was horrendous! thats what you get for coming back on a weekend. Cant wait for a speedy and efficient tunnel crossing.....Heaven :-D

Archived