Towbar and motorcycle trailer question

Hopesy

You can get a handlebar tie down strap which fits over the bars and then can be connected by a normal tie down strap to the trailer. I use one when I trailer my race bike around the country. Very easy to use. Fit it on the bike, push it up the ramp and then tie down with normal straps. Available from Demon Tweeks, Motrax and many other accessory dealers such as M@P. About £10.

• 1 month later...

Just for those that showed an interest and offered advice. I had a towbar fabricated and fitted at a very professional company called Devon Valley Fabrications in Collumpton. I went with them because of their attitude and professionalism. Just before i went there the bracket on the electric step broke (only 3 years old c""p material and finishing ) so they removed th bracket repaired and strengthened it. They also rent out trailers and had a bike trailer that wasn't being used so i bought it from them. Went down form Bristol on the bike and collected. They couldn't have been more helpful loading my bike onto the trailer and other odds and sods. I have no connection to the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Roll on Bavaria in June!! :-D

Hi, Graham,

Would be interested in one of these as I just put the tie down straps around the handlebar grips and when I got home from Spain this time the throttle twistgrip had turned on the bar and was only halted by the cable jamming against the fairing. not to be recommended. Would these straps stop such action?

My bike is street fighter style so no fairing and i tied down around the yoke and rear hangers. Didn't have a problem on the way home. I looked at the link and from what i can see the extra strap would help just to keep the straps away from the fairing? M and P had an inconclusive picture so i may have got the wrong end of the stick.

Geoff

The bar strap system should be fine for what you want. I don't have a picture of mine in use (and wouldn't know how to load it on here anyway). If you go to demon-tweeks.co.uk, select the motor cycle catalogue then go to page 70 item 2 it shows it very clearly. I am sure you will find them in any large motor cycle dealer. Years ago I used to tie down using fairing supports etc but this is far better and easy to use. I do about 8 meetings a year and have used it for the last 10 years so it is pretty durable. Hope this helps.

Archived