Dogs in Spain. Medication

Suet

We are off to Spain in a couple of weeks with the dogs but haven't taken them to southern Europe before, only north/mid France and Germany. I normally give them Advantix and Advocate for flea control, but I haven't used anything for Heartworm yet. Is Program Plus okay and can you use it alongside Advantix? I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks

I think you should consult your Vet for meds needed, we use Frontline and Drontel but like you only do France/Germany, I know the Frontline only covers for ticks which are the carrier of heartworm for 4 weeks and fleas for 8 ! as we do 6 weeks Im gambling with the other couple of weeks. I think someone else (maybe Melb) have said in the past that Advocate covers for ticks longer ! but not sure so its best to check facts.

We use Advantix for our dog as it covers sand flies as well. We were in Croatia last year no problems.

We also give the dog a Garlic pearl daily, and have done for several years, not seen a Flea or Tick on him for years. Garlic is an old Herbal remedy.

Our Dog is going into Kennels in Spain the end of next month, the Vet and Kennels owners have not suggested anything different than Advantix.

David

I shall have a look at that as well thanks David how often do you have to appy it though? I use the Frontline a week before we go and that means they are about ready again when we visit the vet after our 6 weeks, Im saying their as this year I have two its getting more expensive by the minuet :-D

Ask about this Avantix that Dave was on about, I read up on it last night and it does protect against the sand fly I think that is responsible for the Leismansia (sp) I bought one of these collors and never used it as we didnt stray into an area where it was needed! they dont come cheap either and I have one that is now out of date!!

Im going to stick to Frontline myself as the Advantix needs to be applied every 4 weeks and as we stay for 6 the Frontline is still active (8wks) when we next visit the Vet before coming home, its a case of horses for courses :-D

We have used Advantix in the past for fleas and ticks and also have taken our own for the vet to use prior to coming home again but we don't know anything about heartworm. I've read that this is contracted through mosquitos and is around in the south of France and Southern Spain. Apparently it's fatal if the dog contracts it. Somebody told me to get Program Plus, but I don't know anything about it or whether you can use it in conjunction with Advantix. I think I'll have to ask the vet.

Thanks. Sue

Hi

You also need to be aware of Processionary caterpillars the poison fron the spines of which can kill a dog quickly. The season ends around April but if you are off now they are a risk.

They nest in some tree types (the danger comes when they move across the ground to another nest site) so there can be a risk at some campsites. When i take my labrador to spain in April i usually keep her on a long lead and keep my eyes open. There has been lots of threads about these + there is also lots of info on the net.

Peter

Yes you have to be aware of the processional caterpillas even humans can be very ill with the hairs, they can be found where there are fir tree,s! It is as well to keep your dog on a lead at all times so you can see what is in front of you. My Son has a house near MontLucon and one of his neighbours told me if we are walking in the forest to wear wellingtons or socks /long trousers that protect the legs!!

But dont get parranoid its just a case of being sensable and aware that there are things lying around that an inquisitive dog can be quite ill with same as here in the countryside.

David Dwight - 2011-01-23 3:04 PM

Margaret,

With the Advantix you get 4 pippets in the pack. But it is not campatible with Frontline.

One advantage is that once it has been applied and entered the dogs system the animal can then go in Water.

David

Frontline is the same David but I dont have to worry about water my two Chihuahuas arent likely to go in water. lol

Suet - 2011-01-23 5:38 PM

We have used Advantix in the past for fleas and ticks and also have taken our own for the vet to use prior to coming home again but we don't know anything about heartworm. I've read that this is contracted through mosquitos and is around in the south of France and Southern Spain. Apparently it's fatal if the dog contracts it. Somebody told me to get Program Plus, but I don't know anything about it or whether you can use it in conjunction with Advantix. I think I'll have to ask the vet.

Thanks. Sue

Ive just gooled that Sue its in tablet form and does protect against heartworm but it is about £20 and is a monthly tab; there was another I found that protects against heartworm and t was quite cheap you only buy one tab at a time for my dogs it was 89p per tab I think of hand it was Milbmax!

I thought you might be put off Sue but dont be All these meds or things that are available!

As Mel says Frontline which we all use anyway and is all you really need for France plus worming tab which is normal but since someone has mentioned Heartworm I may just ask the Vet for a tablet and remember dogs in this country can be effected with heartworm. I have never noticed mossies either as usually they make a Bline for me.

The only difference going abroad with our dogs is the HEAT which were not bothered with much here (lol)

Spain though I would get the Scallibor Collar.

Thanks Maggy

We have taken our dogs abroad several times, but not down to the south. We've been to northern France and as far as the Dordogne, and to Germany and Bruges. In the north they don't seem to have as many nasties as in the south so I am being ultra careful this time. We have one 18 month old Springer Spaniel and a nearly 13 year old and have used Advantix before, but I think Frontline does the same thing. I'll ask the Vet about the Scalibar collar and the heartworm.

Sue

Archived