French speed limit reminder.

Brian Kirby

Thanks Brian.We do tend to like the autoroutes on long journeys and agree with some posters about having to slow down for villages all the time.However I do sympathize with them and if I was living in a French village I would want those speed limits enforcing as well.We have never had any difficulty finding somewhere to stop though, either for a break or to overnight.We have the same van as you so these limits don't apply to us and when the time comes for changing the van we will bear these things in mind as well.Owning and running a motorhome is becoming a bit of a minefield isn't it?

When in France I have to admit I,M a Poodler, (but it doesn't hurt) I dont use the toll roads and after the A16 go for the "N" roads and even the "D" roads, after all I went to France to see France  not the embankment of Motorways , if I am Heading somewhere in Particular I just allow more time , being Retired I can afford to, what I have see so far of France I like and I,must say Most of the French People I have met / had dealings with have been helpful and Polite,( not Laughing too much at my attempt at French ), like Brian has said going slower you find some gems of campsites littered along the way,My Autotrail is 3.800kg so I will have a card on the dash to keep reminding of the Limits till they sink in.    Dur....... Safe Journey,s

Since my original post several days ago this thread has kept me occupuied for quite a while and the information shared will be very useful to us when next in France, especially as we are well over 3.5 tonnes. Thanks to all who contributed.

However, I don't seem to recall any views or comments (except one) on the requirement to display speed limit stickers on the rear of our vehicles. Do fellow motorhomers ignor this requirement, or is it an option?

Your further views would be appreciated.

Greatful, as always - John & Anne.

• 1 month later...

Having just received my April's MMM, I was concerned to read your article, having never seen anything mentioned anywhere else concerning this very important change to legislation. I have to say, that I initially thought that you had got it wrong, because the Caravan Club quoted different speeds.

However, I must thank you very much for your post and the comments relative to it and lets hope the message continues to be spread loud and wide.

Alan

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-27 12:53 PM

One other think I came across later, is that vehicles towing trailers are not allowed into the third lane of three lane dual carriageways, whether autoroutes or (as I understand it) not.

And just as an addition to that, on German Autobahns on 'some stretches where signed' you can only use the inside lane if you are towing a trailer (this includes a trailer tent) and this means you cannot overtake a slower vehicle. The only rider I will add is that it is some time since I have driven in gemany so do not know if this rule has changed. I will be touring Germany this summer though and will look to see if it still applies.

Archived