TV for the Van

starvin marvin

I'm looking for a new TV for the van. Flat screen LCD or LED about 16" screen size, 12&230v. I've been looking around and I'm now slowly losing the will to live, there appears to be more tellies in Tesco than shampoo!

The choice appears to be Visionplus, Avtex or Meos. I'm prepared to buy one with an integrated DVD player, but this is not essential, just a telly is fine. I notice that Avtex along with the other manufacturers are now only offering a 1 year guarantee.

Anyone got a view on a best buy? and retailers.

Many thanks

How Much??????? - 2011-01-25 7:27 PM

We just take the LCD telly out of the bedroom every trip. It has freeview/dvd, but its 230v only. If we arent on EHU, we just watch dvd's or listen to t'wireless. Cant see the point of paying silly money for a 12v telly myself.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You may not see the point in buying 12v and believe me when I say it I don't like spending excessive sums either, but I need access to a 12v TV. It would just take too long to explain why and life is just too short. I've considered all the options and its a 12/230v TV with or without DVD or nothing, end of story.

thebishbus - 2011-01-25 5:25 PM

Hi, check with John Lewis, I think you will find they have a 5 year guarantee on the Avtex TV, with 2 years on the DVD unit.

Brian B.

Thanks, I think I've checked this before and it appears that none of the major TV stockist hold 12v TV's anymore. The main manufacturers seem to have the market stitched up and consequently the price is high. I'm not suggesting a cartel but there appears to be little price competition.

I know Avtex where offering a 3 year guarantee on the TV and the DVD but this is now 1year and its the difference in guarantee periods that I don't like.

I'll try John Lewis's web site, and report back if I find anything.

starvin marvin - 2011-01-25 8:52 PM

thebishbus - 2011-01-25 5:25 PM

Hi, check with John Lewis, I think you will find they have a 5 year guarantee on the Avtex TV, with 2 years on the DVD unit.

Brian B.

Thanks, I think I've checked this before and it appears that none of the major TV stockist hold 12v TV's anymore. The main manufacturers seem to have the market stitched up and consequently the price is high. I'm not suggesting a cartel but there appears to be little price competition.

I know Avtex where offering a 3 year guarantee on the TV and the DVD but this is now 1year and its the difference in guarantee periods that I don't like.

I'll try John Lewis's web site, and report back if I find anything.

I've checked John Lewis and the model is 18.5" which is too large. Its 4.3 kg which is too heavy. At £399 it is too expensive, believe it or not Brownhillls at Newark are cheaper!! Apart from that it would be perfect, but thanks for the reply.

Hi,

We bought a cheap Tesco own brand Technika 15 inch with freeview and DVD which works fine as the 230volts is supplied via an external transformer which supplies 12volts to the TV. I also bought an Amperor 12v voltage stabiliser but some MH'ers have used the same TV straight off the battery without problems. The viewing angle may not be quite as good as an Avtex but it's half the price!

Steve

As the previous poster has said.....

Our solution was a 600watt £40 inverter from TLC direct, a 15inch LCD cost £95, a £25 DVD player from Argos ( yes cheep-skate I know ) plus the benefit of being able to charge the laptop, It all works great. I would love the Avtex just for the compactness but nearly £400 is a bit hard to swallow for us, the wife does moan she cannot use her hair dryer though from the inverter, boo hoo, Ekka.

Sorry I've just re-read your post and you plainly state this is not a route you want to go, but cannot find a way to delete this post. :-(

We also have a Technika 15" from Tesco but use it with a 600 watt inverter from Maplin, £30 in a sale, when off mains hook up. I have been told that I can run the TV from a 12 volt supply but on mine the mains lead goes direct to the TV without a transformer. We have used this for three years with a Lidl briefcase satellite dish as far south as La Rochelle and had no problems.

Our van came with a Camos another expensive 12v TV like the Avtex, had it replaced twice under warranty.

The viewing angle is poor picture quality not that good.

I wouldn't waste your money, buy a cheaper one that will work on 12v, if you feel you need buy a voltage stabiliser, I would just take the chance it will be under warranty for the first year as least.

Just another thought we also have an Aver Media freeview dongle which we connect to our laptop, of course a small inverter is still needed to run the laptop, but this also gives us two bites of the cherry should our cheepo TV gives up the ghost whilst we are away.

Having recently had a 32 inch Hitachi that we use in the house give up the ghost just 14 months old, and with very little use my worry is that an expensive one for the van subjected to the inevitable vibrations, dampness and temperature variations may just go the same way even assuming I had the odd £400 kicking around.

We have a Technika from Tesco, £120 (or thereabouts) including Freeview and DVD player. We plug it in directly to our 12v socket and it works perfectly, with a decent viewing angle too. We have also been able to tune it to Portuguese analogue and currently have it tuned to Spanish digital TV.

JudgeMental - 2011-01-26 1:39 AM

what about the new ALDEN sets, spec looks very good to me, I might get one for the new van. You can record to memory card or external HD. 12 volt and DVD etc...and different sizes. or if you want very cheap just buy a 230v and a small inverter

http://www.elecleisure.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2

Thanks for the reply, as usual good info. Yes the spec looks very good and the price is much better, but will depend on the length of guarantee for both the TV and the DVD. Although it always makes me smile when a product is offered at a competetive price but is out of stock, was it ever in stock???

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2011-01-27 11:18 AM

JudgeMental - 2011-01-26 1:39 AM

what about the new ALDEN sets, spec looks very good to me, I might get one for the new van. You can record to memory card or external HD. 12 volt and DVD etc...and different sizes. or if you want very cheap just buy a 230v and a small inverter

http://www.elecleisure.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2

Thanks for the reply, as usual good info. Yes the spec looks very good and the price is much better, but will depend on the length of guarantee for both the TV and the DVD. Although it always makes me smile when a product is offered at a competetive price but is out of stock, was it ever in stock???

Yes I like the look of it, viewing angles look excellent. there are lots of dealers who sell them, just google it

We have a couple of Akura TV/DVD combos which are sold by Makro, we have one in the van and one in the bedroom:

Makro TVs

They have a separate in-line transformer (ie not built into the casing) so we just don't use it and have a connection so we can plug straight into the 12v in our van - so far no problems at all (over a year).

Mel B - 2011-01-27 5:14 PM

We have a couple of Akura TV/DVD combos which are sold by Makro, we have one in the van and one in the bedroom:

Makro TVs

They have a separate in-line transformer (ie not built into the casing) so we just don't use it and have a connection so we can plug straight into the 12v in our van - so far no problems at all (over a year).

Thanks Mel, I may be able to call in at Makro tomorrow, I've checked the web site and the TV's are a bit on the large size, nothing less than 18.5", really looking for 16.5" or thereabouts, smaller rather than larger. Will give them a good look though.

Many thanks

• 2 months later...

MEL B

hOW ARE YOU GETTING ON WITH YOUR aKURA TV?

We bought an 18.5inch one yesterday for £98 + vat at Makro. It had a 240v/12v adaptor with it but we only ever use 12v.

Question is, is how is the tv on 12v? We have a regulator from our solar panel to the battery and was wondering if its ok to plug tv straight into 12v socket or should we purchase one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amperor-LCD-Volt-Stabiliser-Regulator/dp/B000ZLRXG8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks

Chris

Guest pelmetman

Our cheap tv runs on 12v via a transformer, and according to the instructions I have read!! (broke a lifetimes habit (lol) ) apparantly you can plug it straight into a cigarette lighter socket.....no mention of a voltage regulator?, so I assume it is ok to plug straight into the vans 12v system :D ......Still got to find a lead yet, hopefully there will someone at Peterborough flogging them (?)

2 year guarantee as well B-)

Hi Chris

We've not had a problem with our TV at all on 12v, we also have a solar panel, plus a second leisure battery.

When we were away on holiday last year we used aires and/or CLs (without hook up usually) so 12v was all we had as we didn't want to run in through an inverter. We often watched a DVD and it performed perfectly. Our previous TV, a Relysis, was used in this way for many years and it was never a problem.

Some people say you need a stabiliser but we've never bothered. It's up to you really.

chris - 2011-04-04 7:28 AM

MEL B

hOW ARE YOU GETTING ON WITH YOUR aKURA TV?

We bought an 18.5inch one yesterday for £98 + vat at Makro. It had a 240v/12v adaptor with it but we only ever use 12v.

Question is, is how is the tv on 12v? We have a regulator from our solar panel to the battery and was wondering if its ok to plug tv straight into 12v socket or should we purchase one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amperor-LCD-Volt-Stabiliser-Regulator/dp/B000ZLRXG8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks

Chris

As the TV was under a 100 quid why spend nearly 40 on a stabiliser, if the TV fails in the first year it will be under warranty & if it doesn't there's a good chance it will go on for ever.

Archived