Caxton FX Euro card

insignia

I've taken one out but am yet to use it abroad. So far I've been very impressed with the ease of setting it up and loading it using the website. I also get some satisfaction from being able "play the market" and buy euros at more favourable rates than you can generally get elsewhere. The things to remember are that you are tying your money up ahead of using it and if the company (Newcastle BS I think) goes broke you lose that money because it isn't covered by the deposit guarantee scheme.

V

We've got one. We've found it very handy. We draw out our weekly allowance from a cash machine one a week. We've used it in several automatic aire machines in France, but as a previous poster says it doesn't work in toll machines. I've never tried it in a shop but I don't think it works there either. Despie that I rate it. Highly recommended!

We use this to draw cash and Nationwide for purchases

including motorway tolls.

You get a competative exchange rate. You can top up the card by text. Within 30 seconds you get a confirmation text to say just what you have loaded and what it has cost you. Straight to the cash machine to get the cash with no service charges.

We have used it in Germany, France, Spain, Italy and Greece.

Works well.

We've had one for 3 years. Wouldn't be without it. Not tried it on motorway tolls, but it does work at unmanned fuel stations (at least in France). Only "mistake" I made was to forget that it was due to expire when I was on holiday last year. Quickly withdrew the balance as cash, but then had to rely on my normal credit cards for the rest of the holiday, at some cost on service charges and poorer exchange rates!

Richard.

Uncle Bulgaria - 2011-02-02 3:08 PM

We've had one for 3 years. Wouldn't be without it. Not tried it on motorway tolls, but it does work at unmanned fuel stations (at least in France). Only "mistake" I made was to forget that it was due to expire when I was on holiday last year. Quickly withdrew the balance as cash, but then had to rely on my normal credit cards for the rest of the holiday, at some cost on service charges and poorer exchange rates!

Richard.

Don't use it on motorways for tolls. This extract from the Caxton site here explains why:

5. Toll booths

Caxton FX currency cards require a merchant to seek authorisation before they provide the goods or services. The majority of European toll roads do not seek an authorisation, therefore you cannot use your Caxton FX currency card at most toll booths.

The best thing we did before coming to Spain 3 months ago was to get Caxton FX Euro cards.

A good exchange rate, can be topped up online with no fuss and very secure, the ATM's recognise it as an British Euro card and default to English, as long as the shop accepts Mastercard than they will accept the Caxton FX card, we have used it for 3 months with no problems. Highly recommended.

John D

Just found my first negative! I loaded the card with our spends, then realised it's been so long since we used it I've lost my pin number. (Yes, I know, I've heard all the points not in my favour in the last hour!)

I've tried to contact the company but customer services isn't open until Monday now. The phone number goes through to the lost card line and they can't help. So I just hope they can sort it 'cos we go away on the 14th. Not good customer service really to have no contact, other than an emergency, from Friday tea time to Monday morning.

• 2 months later...
terryW - 2011-04-23 9:07 PMJust tried to get on their web site and find that it appears to be down? Anyone else not able to contact them or know of a problem?

I'm a bit worried because I  was about to transfer a lump sum for our next trip!

Just tried myself and it is still down but it is the Easter week-end so hopefully...

• 2 weeks later...

I have three Caxton fx cards - US Dollar, Euro and Global Traveller.

I've used them all very successfully - the USD in Mexico, the Euro card in Germany, and Global Traveller also in Germany. Works just like Mastercard at all points of sales and ATM's.

These should only be used outside of the UK to avoid charges, of course.

One word of caution; do not use a prepaid card to check in at a hotel or any other establishment where it is necessary to swipe the card on arrival, but the bill is settled on checkout. What happens is that the establishment places shadow transactions on your card - reserving or placing a hold on your funds to match the amounts being charged to your bill. When you settle the bill at the end of your stay, on checkout, a real transaction is debitted to the card; the shadow ones will eventually be matched and removed but this can take up to 30 days. This is mentioned in the FAQ's or conditions documentation on the Caxton website.

What you should do is use a credit card to check in with, then your prepaid card when you check out. I got caught out with this in Mexico in February when we were on vacation. It was more an aggravation than a disaster but it meant I had to go online to top up with more US Dollars than I eventually needed.

homerlindsay - 2011-05-03 6:32 PMI have three Caxton fx cards - US Dollar, Euro and Global Traveller.I've used them all very successfully - the USD in Mexico, the Euro card in Germany, and Global Traveller also in Germany. Works just like Mastercard at all points of sales and ATM's.These should only be used outside of the UK to avoid charges, of course.One word of caution; do not use a prepaid card to check in at a hotel or any other establishment where it is necessary to swipe the card on arrival, but the bill is settled on checkout. What happens is that the establishment places shadow transactions on your card - reserving or placing a hold on your funds to match the amounts being charged to your bill. When you settle the bill at the end of your stay, on checkout, a real transaction is debitted to the card; the shadow ones will eventually be matched and removed but this can take up to 30 days. This is mentioned in the FAQ's or conditions documentation on the Caxton website.What you should do is use a credit card to check in with, then your prepaid card when you check out. I got caught out with this in Mexico in February when we were on vacation. It was more an aggravation than a disaster but it meant I had to go online to top up with more US Dollars than I eventually needed.

Thanks for the info, well worth being aware of this technicality.

Archived