Reversing Camera - should we?

Dixie

Derek Uzzell - 2011-02-04 9:35 AM ................. There is a French mirror-based kit that can be fitted to a single-lens non-motorised reversing-camera to provide a 'split screen' view. Details are on http://www.kitmiroirderenvoi.com/ As the camera points directly downwards, it might help with the glare problem mentioned on the earlier forum thread.

Not sure I'd want the task of cleaning his mirror, though!  As it is I have to keep wiping the eyes on ours to maintain a good picture in the wet.

Spoilers look pretty, but when mounted at roof level they merely prevent the lift inducing downdraught from the roof, resulting in all the dwang from the road being sucked up the back panel.  If I ever get to speeds where the rear of the van is coming unstuck because of aerodynamic lift, I don't think my biggest problem will be lack of rear wheel adhesion.  It'll be because I should have turned off before the edge of the cliff!  :-D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geoff Tuckley - 2011-02-04 3:02 PM

I fitted a reversing camera about 2 years ago. Again after reversing into a French car which had come so close behind that I couldn't see it.

The present camera is wired to the reversing light of the Duccato and so comes on as the light is energised. I would love to wire the camera into some other feed and fit a flick switch to the facia so I could check the motorbike trailer with it whilst travelling. I have to take out the radio in the facia soon to fit a proper aerial and I am wondering if it would be feasable to wire the camera from the radio feed. If not, does anybody have any ideas?

I 'piggy-backed' power for my reversing-camera system from one of the two 12V dashboard-sockets fitted to my Transit, a) because it was convenient and b) because the socket had plenty of Amperage/fuse/cabling capacity. Not sure how much capacity your radio's 12V feed would have but my camera system draws no more than 1.5A, so it may be OK. Does the fact that you are proposing to install a dashboard-switch imply that your system is 'wireless'? If that's the case and you'll only be powering the rear camera from the radio's feed, there should be no problem.

When I bought my current van, a reversing camera was on my shopping list. Hymer UK advised against fitting a reversing camera unless I needed one. In over 10 years of driving A-classes with no rear visibility, I have only ever thought once that I needed one. I had just gone through a green traffic light when a car shot in front of me leaving me stranded just short of a box junction and part way through the lights. As there didn't seem to be anything behind me, I thought I'd reverse a bit to be absolutely clear of the junction. I heard a loud honking noise from behind. A car had also pulled up behind me and I hadn't seen it. I stopped in good time fortunately.

My insurer told me that it was actually cheaper to pay the increased premium for a prang than buy a reversing camera. I don't if this is true and even if it is, it probably would not be cheaper for several prangs.

All other times I've had to reverse, I've asked the missus to act as look out and she has been brilliant at it.

Sixteen years of motorhoming and I have not been convinced I need one. Ask me tomorrow when I have had a near miss or worse, and I might be convinced of the need.

Hi Brock

Consider when you are not travelling together (i.e. taking M/H in for a service) or OH is not able to get out & take a look (not so easy in traffic in many "A" Class models).

Due to disability my wife is unable to get out & look for me, so I normally get out, but what's behind can change by the time I get back in the Cab.

So I would not be without a Reversing Camera.

Brock - 2011-02-04 10:55 PM ............. Sixteen years of motorhoming and I have not been convinced I need one. Ask me tomorrow when I have had a near miss or worse, and I might be convinced of the need.

As ever each to his own, and clearly after that time it would be ridiculous (and impertinent) to suggest you "need" one. 

Indeed, I don't think I really "need" one - but having one doesn't half make things like reversing out of supermarket parking bays easier, especially as half the other shoppers "just nip past behind you" as you start rolling! 

So need?  No.  But as an aid to difficult manoeuvres when reversing?  Priceless!  :-)

Hi, Derek,

Thanks for the reply. The system is wireless so the "sender unit is in the rear of the vehicle and wired to the camera. There are 2 x 12 volt outlets on the facia and I use one of these for the reversing camera display and the other for satnav, thus needing to wire the sender unit in elsewhere.

Could try the radio feed but would like to do it correctly if there is a better way

art338 - 2011-02-03 12:03 AM

The first rule of reversing is get out and look, assume nothing, you could have run over a child, the same applies when starting from parking, it could be someone's pet rabbit you've just casserolled!

Why did you not see the car earlier in your travel?

art

And how do you deal with the car, infant, rabbit that arrives in the blind spot during the time you spend getting back into the cab selecting gear and moving off .

Bear in mind that on seeing the oncoming vehicle+trailer I had braked and immediatly selected reverse and checked the mirrors.

Having seen the lady drive off after the incident I am pretty sure the reason I had not spotted her during regular mirror checks had more tha a little to do with the stupidly high speed she drove at along a narrow winding village street.

JudgeMental - 2011-02-05 4:56 PM

Just wondering if these tilting ones are reliable? and if a twin camera job a better option.......

I've fitted quite a few of the Camos tilt camera systems and I have one on my own camper and can honestly say we've seen no problems with reliability. The only issue I have had is occasionally in cold weather the screen has a bluish tinge for the first couple of minutes but I've seen the same thing on other systems too.

Although it doesn't have the longer view of the Waeco twin view system when looking straight back I haven't found it to be a problem, I only need to see the first vehicle behind me. Having said that if I were travelling slowly and holding up traffic it might just give me the heads up on a "train" developing and then I could pull over when safe to let them all past. Not the most likely of scenarios to be honest.

D.

In support of the twin lens variety (at least the Waeco one) its strength, in terms of performance, is that the "look back" lens is a narrower angle than the "look down" lens.  Thus, when travelling forward, the view you get approximates to a normal, convex, rear view mirror (so similar to the external door mirrors), but when reversing, you get a wide angle view that extends beyond the width of the van, but includes the full rear bumper width, and for some 4M/12' to the rear.

The snag with any high mounted reversing camera will be when bikes are carried on a rear rack, when all you are likely to see is the bikes, and not the ground.  The camera then really needs to be mounted low, to see under the bikes, or somewhere on the rack, or on an extended high level bracket, so that it can see beyond them.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-02-04 9:35 AM

There is a French mirror-based kit that can be fitted to a single-lens non-motorised reversing-camera to provide a 'split screen' view. Details are on

http://www.kitmiroirderenvoi.com/

As the camera points directly downwards, it might help with the glare problem mentioned on the earlier forum thread.

I first thought this seemed a brilliant idea. But surely this setup will give you one mirror image and one correct image on the split screen. That could be confusing. I try it with a small camera at work on Monday.

Dixie,

I'd say definately fit one ! or get someone to fit it for you. Dave Newell fitted one for me, works going foward, so able to check for 'tailgaters in the blindspot' as well. My van has a backbox on the rear bike carrier, but vision is fine for reversing upto obstructions. Only a 'single lens' but found it to be fine for my needs. Ray

Apart from cost, there is no downside to fitting a reversing camera and I now would not be without one.

I use mine angled down to see the rear corners of the motorhome and enable easy reversing onto the trailer hitch of the racecar.

For not squashing humans / pets / hitting solid things they're great.

Shameless plug alert:

I tested 10 different reversing camera systems in the November 2009 issue of MMM (p225).

After forty odd years of motorhoming with and without reversing cameras I can honestly say that it doesn't make much difference to me. My current van has one but I've never used it.

How many times do you actualy reverse? For those 'must' occasions I have the best system in the world. She is called Eileen, has twin lenses, can see in any direction, and the noise if I don't obey is something else.

I think it's very difficult to be objective in a discussion like this because we're all talking about an experience based on different products which inevitably will lead to different experiences both good and bad.

I originally had a factory fitted system in a Swift Bolero which was useless because of the positioning of the monitor which could not be seen clearly from the driving position and could not be adjusted. I now have fitted a tilting camera system to my PVC which is excellent. Great for keeping an eye on the bikes, for backing up close to anything and for that quick reassuring glance to check your blind spots before pulling out. Wouldn't be without this system.

Graham

I keep looking at fitting a camera of sorts..

..but as we already have a small rear window(handy),a Towtal bumper(reassuring)and reverse sensors(bl**dy irratating!),I think in our case I would probably be just fitting a gadget for the sake of it.. :-D

(However..if I *was* to fit one :$..it'd probably be a simple low level camera(with a mirror monitor).. and with that in mind,can the cable just be run underneath the van without sheathing or is it to delicate for that..? )

peterrosey - 2011-02-07 4:42 PM

Apart from cost, there is no downside to fitting a reversing camera and I now would not be without one.

I use mine angled down to see the rear corners of the motorhome and enable easy reversing onto the trailer hitch of the racecar.

For not squashing humans / pets / hitting solid things they're great.

Shameless plug alert:

I tested 10 different reversing camera systems in the November 2009 issue of MMM (p225).

And very pleased we were too Peter - it helped us decide which one to have fitted last year - twin camera - perfect! Slightly embarrased when we left the dealer the other week as we had never used the sound function on it, but the engineer had turned the radio sound up slightly and we thought the engine was making a funny noise every time the gears were changed - we actually turned round to "tell them to sort it out" when the driver (not me) realised we were hearing the sound outside the van! :$ :$ :$ :$ As we were by now back in front of the office I quickly pretended to have "found" my mobile after all and we beat a fairly hasty retreat, with the sound turned off! *-) :$ It certainly reminded us we had a non used function and it is absolutely brilliant now for giving reversing advice without the usual walkie talkies. So thank you. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
do most of these dash board screens clip of to hide away? as they must be tempting to thieves thinking they are a sat nav.....

JudgeMental - 2011-02-09 1:07 PM

do most of these dash board screens clip of to hide away? as they must be tempting to thieves thinking they are a sat nav.....

Hi Eddie

On our previous Bessacarr, it had a mount fixed on the Dash Clipboard, but I took the view that it would l be in full view for any lightfingered tealeaf. We modified the mount so that it sat in the Dash Cupholder and could easily be transfered to the Glove compartment when laeving the VAN.

Our Autocruise has the Rearview screen which clips on the rearview mirror and is very difficult to identify from outside the Van, :-)

(unless they have binoculars) :-(

Most camera systems monitors can be completely removed very easily but some are hard wired. When installing the hard wired variety I always leave a long enough length of the cable so that the monitor can be removed from its mount and hidden away in a nearby cubby hole. I always advise customers to not leave the monitors in place as some toerag will invariably chuck a brick through the window and nick it. It matters not one jot to them whether its any good without a camera attached as they will sell it down the pub or wherever for a fiver or tenner. Personally I don't like the mirror type monitors as I've always found they have far too reflective a surface that in bright ambient light can make itr difficult to see the camera picture.

D.

Dave Newell - 2011-02-10 7:26 AM

Personally I don't like the mirror type monitors as I've always found they have far too reflective a surface that in bright ambient light can make itr difficult to see the camera picture.

D.

Definately agree about the mirror-type monitors. Also prone to vibration on bumpy roads.

I keeping asking myself why I still have one fitted to our van when we sell monitors!

AliB - 2011-02-10 8:58 AM

Dave Newell - 2011-02-10 7:26 AM

Personally I don't like the mirror type monitors as I've always found they have far too reflective a surface that in bright ambient light can make itr difficult to see the camera picture.

D.

Definately agree about the mirror-type monitors. Also prone to vibration on bumpy roads.

I keeping asking myself why I still have one fitted to our van when we sell monitors!

That's intersting to hear..so they're a no-no then..;-)

(..Am I right in assuming that wireless set ups are to be avoided if possible..? )

Chris

Archived