Reversing Camera - should we?

Dixie

I would not go so far as to say mirror-type monitors are a no-no. Just be aware of their limitations. If you cannot find a suitable place for a standard monitor then the mirror-fit comes into its own.

Wireless systems will give an inferior picture quality and are prone to interfernce. As they operate on the 2.4GHz band if 2 vans park alongside each other you could easily see the image from your neighbour's camera on your screen.

You still need to run a power feed to the camera/transmitter so not much more effort to run a video cable to a monitor.

Wireless cameras kits tend to use a lower quality camera to keep the price down. They are aimed at the DIY budget market. Your money, your choice.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only wireless camera system I've found that works is the "trailer vision" unit supplied by Roadpro (and therefore us too :D ). This system does not suffer any interference as it has a MJPEG compressor in the camera and a decompressor built into the monitor. What this means is that the video signal is digitally encoded to AVI and this digital stream is transmitted so no interference. Only downside is a minute time delay of about 0.25 seconds. For a motorhome I'd always go for a hard wired system but the Trailer Vision unit is ideal for caravans or trailers, in fact I'm fitting our demo unit to my new (to me) exhibition trailer because as it is nearly 8' tall it obscures my motorhome camera's rearwards view.

D.

pepe63 - 2011-02-10 9:17 AM

AliB - 2011-02-10 8:58 AM

Dave Newell - 2011-02-10 7:26 AM

Personally I don't like the mirror type monitors as I've always found they have far too reflective a surface that in bright ambient light can make itr difficult to see the camera picture.

D.

Definately agree about the mirror-type monitors. Also prone to vibration on bumpy roads.

I keeping asking myself why I still have one fitted to our van when we sell monitors!

That's intersting to hear..so they're a no-no then..;-)

(..Am I right in assuming that wireless set ups are to be avoided if possible..? )

Chris

I am of the totally opposite view here - we have had a mirror mounted monitor for quite a while now and we have never had a problem with reflection or vibration - that includes going round the Isle of Skye with it's small bumpy roads, as well as many other places too, plus using it in high summer in France ..... :-D

Mel B - 2011-02-09 5:13 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-02-09 1:07 PM

do most of these dash board screens clip of to hide away? as they must be tempting to thieves thinking they are a sat nav.....

A strategically placed baseball cap works wonders ... :-D

Thats a good idea Mel, I've got a couple of them, that I'm not allowed to wear in public. You've given me a good reason to justify owning them (lol)

You guys really need to start thinking like a thief. Wandering along a row of parked motorhomes he spots a baseball cap sitting on the dashand what does he think? "Oh look someone's left a baseball cap on their dashboard, I won't bother breaking the window for that" or " Oh look someone's left a baseball cap strategically placed on their dashboard to cover their satnav/monitor, I'll bust the window, nock the sat nav/monitor AND have the baseball cap for good measure". I'll leave you lot to decide which is the likeliest outcome.

D.

Dave has a point here - my motorhome got broken into recently and they nicked the reversing camera screen. It had just been plonked on top of the dash on the supplied bracket. But its replacement (the same kind - MMM's best buy one) is going to live in a hidden-from-view pod.

With an axe suspended above it...

Dave Newell - 2011-02-11 11:07 AM

You guys really need to start thinking like a thief. Wandering along a row of parked motorhomes he spots a baseball cap sitting on the dashand what does he think? "Oh look someone's left a baseball cap on their dashboard, I won't bother breaking the window for that" or " Oh look someone's left a baseball cap strategically placed on their dashboard to cover their satnav/monitor, I'll bust the window, nock the sat nav/monitor AND have the baseball cap for good measure". I'll leave you lot to decide which is the likeliest outcome.

D.

To be honest Dave, I'd rather not :-D!

Give me a bit of credit please ... *-) We have several things on the dash when we leave our camper: a couple of tatty old baseball caps, large map, cushion, and cloths - basically we leave it looking like a bit of a 'mess' so the cap doesn't look out of place. The sat nav monitor itself is removed and put in a cupboard so its only the holder that is left in situ as it would be too difficult to keep removing it every time due to the way we have it fastened on so hence why it's left on the dash with the cap on top of it - I seriously doubt it anyone would want the cap!!! 8-)

I much prefer the camera monitor to be on the mirror as it doesn't look out of place so is not obvious to anyone peering in the window, as a dash mounted (and permanently fixed) monitor would be.

Then perhaps you need to give "credit" to others who don't leave their dash looking like a jumble sale (lol) , which in my experience is the case with the majority of motorhome owners. If they followed your advice to just put "a strategically placed baseball cap over the sat nav/monitor" they would be prime targets. This is why I say we all need to try and think like thieves, simply because they don't think like normal law abiding citizens. what we think looks like a carelessly discarded baseball cap on the dash looks like an invitation to them, especially if there's no other clutter there.

Today I had a motorhome in with a LCD TV mounted on a bracket in the lounge area, very near to a window. It was disguised by a very neatly made fabric cover, except it wasn't disguised at all. What it appears to be to a ne'er do well is a 15" LCD TV with a neatly made fabric cover just six inches from an easily beaten plastic motorhome window!

My point is that we are generally law abiding citizens and we think like law abiding citizens, many of us will rmember with fondness the times when our parents didn't lock the door at night. The problem is that there are a small number of selfish little toerags out there who are all too happy to prove us wrong. All I'm saying is that if we try to think like them we can all but put them out of business!

D.

Dave Newell - 2011-02-11 10:41 PM

Then perhaps you need to give "credit" to others who don't leave their dash looking like a jumble sale (lol) , which in my experience is the case with the majority of motorhome owners. If they followed your advice to just put "a strategically placed baseball cap over the sat nav/monitor" they would be prime targets. This is why I say we all need to try and think like thieves, simply because they don't think like normal law abiding citizens. what we think looks like a carelessly discarded baseball cap on the dash looks like an invitation to them, especially if there's no other clutter there.

Today I had a motorhome in with a LCD TV mounted on a bracket in the lounge area, very near to a window. It was disguised by a very neatly made fabric cover, except it wasn't disguised at all. What it appears to be to a ne'er do well is a 15" LCD TV with a neatly made fabric cover just six inches from an easily beaten plastic motorhome window!

My point is that we are generally law abiding citizens and we think like law abiding citizens, many of us will rmember with fondness the times when our parents didn't lock the door at night. The problem is that there are a small number of selfish little toerags out there who are all too happy to prove us wrong. All I'm saying is that if we try to think like them we can all but put them out of business!

D.

Oi! Less of the jumble sale thank you ... but car boot sale is fine .... :D

To comment seriously, why not just pull the cab blinds. It takes no longer than dismounting the monitor and whatever else is visible, and with the darkened rear windows, it is impossible to see into the interior.

I invariably do this as a matter of course in spite of often being accused of paranoia, amongst other things.

I spent most of my working life on the road, and security was looked upon as important as safe driving.

Sundowner.

• 1 year later...

When I lost my co-driver Dave Newell fitted a rear camera that is on constantly and invaluable for forward driving as well as reversing. It is particularly useful when overtaking on the continent so I wouldn't be without it. The lead came unscrewed once and I was lost without it!

BTW does Dave still come on here?

Patricia - 2012-12-03 9:46 AM

...BTW does Dave still come on here?

Dave Newell's last logon was yesterday.

I'm not sure to whom donbarry (Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums) was addressing his inquiry (this is an old thread), but I note that he has asked about wireless reversing camera systems on the Hints and Tips forum

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/reversing-cameras/29688/#M343574

As donbarry has provided more detail there, it might be more effective to use the Hints and Tips thread to offer advice than this one.

George Collings - 2011-02-02 10:57 PM

What it was- I was travelling slowly throgh a very narrow french village when I met this van coming the other way towing a trailer with a mini digger aboard. I stopped checked my mirrors and straight into reverse and backed a foot into the car that had driven right into the blind spot below my back window.

The van driver gave the driver behind me a right earfull. You are a total pratt sounds the same in most languages.

She did not bother to claim for minor scratch and I fixed my own torn GRP back bumper when I got home. There are no spares as the moulds were scrapped some years ago.

I now have a integrated twin camera set up mounted high up. One acts as a rear view mirror the other looks straight down for close work.

The downward one is great for backing up to walls or hanging the tail over a flower bed in a car park.

Cheapish set up with picture quality to match but it only needs to save one claim with resultant excess to pay for itself.

It's all too easy, and un-necessary, to criticise anyone for making a low speed error and most of us have done something similar at some time or another? It is so easy to concentrate on what is in front and to each side in a confined space when piloting a wide and delicate behemoth in a confined space - especially when some pratt creeps up tight behind you below your line of vision at window level!.

We too prefer a reversing camera that we can use all the time as a mirror and although I can reverse without one it just helps to preserve the delicate bits at my rear end and removes the need for Mrs T to run to the back of the van to be my eyes!

Reversing sensors we find irritatingly noisy and even worse unreliable as even the best ones can miss narrow or low obstructions - but that's just a personal view.

nowtelse2do - 2012-12-03 2:47 PM

Can't remember when last time re-newing my insurance if it was there, but this time insurance company are asking if I have a reversing camera or sensor's. Sounds like you may get a bit off if you have either.

Dave

Or a bit added - or higher excess - if you don't??

Guest pelmetman
Eh?...................I need to notify my insurer that I've fitted a reversing camera :-S............I told them about the airbags as that was a mechanical mod.........but a camera? 8-)

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-12-03 6:41 PM

pelmetman - 2012-12-03 5:10 PM

Eh?..............................I told them about the airbags 8-)

I don't think you qualify :D :D :->

Dave

I wasn't talking about my manboobs *-)

Just an update on my camera. £200 but fitted myself. Touch wood its still working as new.

I wish I had it when a cat tried twice to get on the roof while we were parked overnight on an aire on the France-Italy border. We head a thump and squeal as it fell from the highly polished stainles steel ladder and in the morning there were muddy skidmarks and pawprints up the front wing and on the overhang of the luton. Very persistent but a slow learner. It was on the roof of a car nearby the next morning.

Archived