Tambour bathroom door "fix"..?

pepe63xnotuse

Hi all.. :-)

What do folk do to keep their tambour doors "square" (..stopping them from jamming whilst they are being opened)?...

I've tried using a couple of runs of wide gaffa tape(top & btm)to help keep it square,which does work but doesn't seem to last very long...

Is there another "fix" that I'm not aware of?

(..I did consider packing the underside of the lower track but there doesn't seem that much end float anyway..)

Ideas..? :-S

Chris

The lathes themselves,interlock and form the hinge(roller shutter style),so there is nothing fixing them "square".

I should point out,it doesn't jam to the degree that you can't move it..it's just that it can/does shuffle and bind when opening...

As the runs of tape did work for a while..I think I'll just look at renewing them(tape,not lathes!).

..and with something better than the Wilkos/Poundshop grade of tape that I originally used.. *-)

The wider the tape you use the better. When I made tambours in wood for the furniture industry we used to glue on a flexible backing over most of the back to form the hinge. This not only gave a long hinge line but gave the hinge a long life.

I suggest that you use a number of tapes close together in order to prevnt the door going out of square which appears to be the trouble. Better still use a wide fabric and bond it to the door. It may be best to remove and lay the door flat whilst you do this.

Well,I've renewed the tape this morning(..and used a branded tape this time,not cheapie stuff as before :$ )

..and doubled it,width wise,as you suggested John...which has helped a little..

But looking at the door again,although the aluminium "handle-lath",is quite snug in the tracks,there is about 8-10mm "end float" on the plastic laths which make up the main body of the door(..I hadn't noticed this before).

It almost looks as if the laths should have(or could do with!)some form of nylon,runner inserts..although I doubt very much they would've had them when new.. :-S

I suppose the simplest way out would be to just pack one of the tracks to fit the laths and then reduce the handle-lath to suit... *-)

Oh well..it keeps me off the streets.. :-)

Archived