Long Range WiFi- require update please

Ocsid

A bit of guidance please; I am out of my knowledge zone here.

What is the current consensus on which antennas/adaptors to use for getting viable connections to distance WiFi “hotspots”?

My main target is linking to domestic BT FON members BT Homehubs, to exploit their BTOpenzone hotspots.

Put simply I want to park up and discreetly benefit from one of these members hotspot, without being too close.

I believe the latest Homehub 2 operates with 802.11.n and the earlier unit are on 802.11.g.

Probably there are many routes but two seem to have been mentioned in these pages : -

Alpha Networks AWUS036H with its included omni directional antenna or a separate Yagi directional aerial. Then is it beneficial to get the 802.11.b/g unit or specifically the “n” unit [as the greater range HomeHub 2s operate on this]?

The other solution is a completely integrated long range USB antenna from Faculty-x.

http://www.faculty-x.net/NET-WL-usb-cpe2512bg

The current thinking please. John

Guest Tracker

The antenna looks good but assuming one has a facility to access one of the mobile phone networks via a dongle you will still, I presume, need to use the relevant dongle to be able to communicate with the isp - or is the info stored on the computer not on the dongle? Maybe with FON the computer has the info needed to connect unlike other isps that need a dongle? I wish I knew!

As most of us already have dongles, and many of them will identify all available services possibly of greater benefit would be a range extending aerial / booster that allows an existing usb dongle to plug into it?

Extending the usb lead and getting the dongle as high in the van as possible - up in the skylight usually - certainly helps a lot.

• 2 months later...

As a follow up; what I ended with to improve getting WiFi signals.

I got one of the well reputed Alfa AWUS series USB adaptors. The one I chose was the more basic 802.11b/g with a 1000mW capability but I installed it with the reduced power option software/driver legal in Europe. On reflection I possibly ought to have gone for a version with the 802.11b/g and N capability but even mine is mightily impressive when compared to my laptops.

Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi network Adapter with 5dBi Antenna

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-802-11b-Wireless-network/dp/B002WCEWU8/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

This comes with a 5dB omni directional antenna and this antenna is proving adequate in most cases. Where a laptop is unable to find any “networks” this unit has found a number, generally with enough strength to be viable, if at quite lowly transfer rates. In use it is compact enough and provided with a sucker pouch that can be discretely fixed to the exterior of the cab’s window whilst sitting inside with the laptop. Sitting thus parked up near dwellings it is proving very fruitful and I am finding a pleasing number of “Openzone” mini hotspots used this way. It is leagues better than with the unaided HP and Sony laptops.

For on site targeted signal gathering I have purchased a high gain “yagi” type directional antenna wired correctly to be used with the Alfa, in-place of its antenna..

2.4GHz 16dBi Directional High Gain 16-Unit Antenna for Wifi/Wireless Network (RP-SMA)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-4ghz-16dbi-directional-high-gain-16-unit-antenna-for-wifi-wireless-network-rp-sma-33016

This is proving a reasonable addition though not yielding quite as good results as I had wished. It does add to the capability of the Alfa but not seemingly by much. Monitoring its gain its not proving quite as directional as I would have expected however it is still worth taking. Maybe I expected too much for the modest outlay. Where it has been “good” is aimed through gaps in caravans/motorhomes on sites where the line of site to a hotspot is very restricted; here it way out performs the Alfa’s antenna. I have used this yagi /Alfa combination on a 5 metre USB extension lead with the mounting tripod strategically positioned way into the pitch for optimum targeting; now that was a conversation initiating piece!

I did play with a standard USB WiFi adaptor some home made reflectors and a satellite dish but the results were not good and the contraptions far from discreet.

Archived