Algae build up in loo flush

Kipper

Hi to all

Hope I am doing this right as it's my first time a this.

I have a seperate water flush tank for my cassette toilet and have always used Thetford Pink fluid in it. The system has a bad algae build up such that when I flush the water, loads of black algae is flushed around the bowl.

Has anyone had similar problems or knows how to solve the problem?

We never had this until about 5 years ago. I suspect they must have changed the mix in the pink stuff. Our problem was that in spite of repeated draining and flushing it kept coming back and occasionally a piece of the 'black stuff' would block the pick up pipe for the flush. I ended up buying a length of 1/4in pipe so I blow down the flush pipe to clear it. Bit crude but effective. When we bought a new van I stopped using the pink stuff and we have had no problem so far (touch wood).

We never use the flush tank because of this, we got around the problem in two ways, first we strategically place a couple of sheets of loo paper in the bowl for a number 2, this in itself results in less need to flush, then a quick blast with the shower head does the rest for us. As for chemicals I simply don't see the point apart from keeping down smells, as others say we use a washing product like Oxyclean which I believe is biodegradable ;-)

ekka - 2011-02-17 6:21 AM

We never use the flush tank because of this, we got around the problem in two ways, first we strategically place a couple of sheets of loo paper in the bowl for a number 2, this in itself results in less need to flush, then a quick blast with the shower head does the rest for us. As for chemicals I simply don't see the point apart from keeping down smells, as others say we use a washing product like Oxyclean which I believe is biodegradable ;-)

You are missing the point of chemicals,.

If you have a SOG you don't need chemicals as the tank is permanently ventilated (similar system is available on some of the latest Thetford models).

If you have a non vented tank you need something in there to stop gas build up otherwise you end up with a methane bomb.

I am speaking from experience, some years ago when the children were young we were on our way home with caravan the loo had been emptied & I hadn't bothered to put ant chemicals in as I did not expect it to be used again. At a stop my daughter did a No.2 without me knowing, when cleaning out the van a couple of weeks later I opened the slide on the loo when cleaning the bowel there was an almighty "woop" and a shower of s**te over me & the shower room.

Don't underestimate the power of a No.2 (lol) (lol)

No especially after a good curry, and I must make sure the missus does not creep in there after it's been emptied. I'm in the S*** enough as it is.

Joking apart our holding tank does have a vent, perhaps the OP should check his, many folk I have spoke to don't use chemicals with or without a sog, this was a money saving tip I read some years ago. Having said that we always endeavour to empty the cassette on a daily basis trying to avoid the weight build up mainly, I'm guessing this may not be such a good idea if left any longer than a few days, although I'm personally uneasy at the use of any chemicals for most things . But your right of course a combination of high temperatures and not emptying the cassette could well end up with some not so useful methane, wonder if it could be redirected to the gas cooker, now that could be real self sufficiency for you.

Of course this has gone off topic as the OP was asking about the flush water tank :-(

All Thetford toilet-cassettes have a pressure-release valve designed to open when the cassette is inserted in the cassette locker. Snag is that the design of the valve means that it can close - and stay closed - afterwards. This can easily result in the volcanic effect lennyhb encountered.

Kipper,

The Thetford 'pink stuff' doesn't have a strong enough anti-bacterial agent in it, and we found the same type of problem.

After a good clean of the tank, we started to use Elsan's 'Pink stuff',

This cured the problem which has not returned, don't know if Thetford has changed their 'mix', but we won't be changing back, Also use Elsan's 'Blue' for the cassette, tried many of the 'cheaper' versions but found that in the long run Elsan works out cheaper. (and smells nicer). Considered a 'SOG' system until we were sited next door to someone who had one, with the nice little fan in the cassette door pointed towards us, as we sat outside in the Sun. We are not going to get one..... Long live Formaldehyde ! ;-)

Ray

Archived