Ferry tickets - open ended returns ? ?

ekka

Thinking about our wanderings this year, and being newly retired without time constraints, can anyone advise if it is possible to get an "open ended" return ferry ticket.

Or has anyone any experience of just buying a single ticket in France to get back to the UK ( I have been told this can be very expensive though) Thanks folks :-)

Guest Tracker

You can certainly get 'books' of multi journey tickets for the Tunnel which you can use at most times subject, I believe, to certain conditions - like avoiding peak times?

Never tried it but now we are closer to Dover it might be worth a thought for spur of the moment holidays.

ekka - 2011-02-12 8:15 PM

Cannot afford the tunnel, no what I specifically mean is going out on a single trip on a pre booked departure, but coming back on no pre booked date.

:-(

I've never heard of that, that said it's not something I've looked into.

The Tunnel pricing improves dramatically if you book multiple crossings, have you looked into it?

Norfolkline, the last time I looked got down as cheap as £19 per crossing with the multiple deal they have (had?) on offer. Yes restrictions apply but to retired folk that hardly matters.

Martyn

Martyn

ekka - 2011-02-12 6:46 PM

Thinking about our wanderings this year, and being newly retired without time constraints, can anyone advise if it is possible to get an "open ended" return ferry ticket.

Or has anyone any experience of just buying a single ticket in France to get back to the UK ( I have been told this can be very expensive though) Thanks folks :-)

Seafrance, buy 6 crossings, three returns, for around £34 a crossing. Completely flexible and usable on most dates and all times. Only dates not covered are bank holiday weekends and a £5 supplement in August. We have done this for the last three years and will again this year. if you do not use them all in 12 month period you can pass two on. You can sometimes get cheaper but nothing as flexible.

Hi

The last 2 times we have been away we booked an outward trip only as we did not know when we would return. When our plans were finalised we booked a single ferry trip using the net a couple of days before departure. Last October we came back P&O for £22 so dont see that it is more expensive than booking a return.

Bob

Open Return tickets have been available over the years, but I can't find reference to them on the current Seafrance or P&O website.

Why not 'phone or drop them an email explaning what you want to do?

Frankly, if they don't, and if you're concerned about going out on a single, I'd book the return leg at the maximum amount of time that you might want to spend, on the cheapest return leg sailing I could find, but make sure I got an amendable ticket.

Then either amend over the 'phone when you want to come back, or turn up at the port and ask to amend (though, of course, on the latter you may end up waiting).

You may pay an amendment fee and a supplement (for a higher priced crossing) for the privilege, but it may well be less than paying on the day, at the port, for a single ticket back.

(I have come back on earlier sailings than that booked, but only on the same day - generally, it has been no problem at all).

OK, lets open it up a bit, has anyone any experience of getting delayed for their pre-booked return that they could not amend, then buying a single ferry ticket at Calais / Dunkirk back to the UK, and was the cost prohibitive. Have tried email to Sea France who we have used in the past but even they do not seem to understand our requirements. I would have thought were fairly common place, i.e. go out on a fixed departure date, but have no return date for that particular single trip set in stone, any specific info gladly received from anyone that has done it *-)

Thanks for that information, I wonder if they would still honour a return if it was say three weeks, or six weeks difference though. I guess in the absence of anyone having direct experience of such a scenario I will try it and let you guys know how I get on, but I will have a conversation with Sea France when I'm next in Dover :-)

Don't think they are available any more, not sure which line did them but they were called 'flexible' tickets.

I normally book my return trip well after the date I expect to return on and change it when I arrive at the port. I think if it's a crossing at the same tariff Seafrance charge about 8E. last year it cost me 21E to change to a more expensive crossing.

Not the cheapest way but stops her fretting about missing the crossing.

Also I add an extra day or two into the return itinerary for emergencies, so I'm always destined to arrive at the port early and there is no way I'm sitting at the dock side to save few pounds.

Ekka

If there is nothing in the Ferry Operators Terms & Conditions, give them a ring.

Something along the lines "What if I have to return earleir than booked, i.e due to family illness or similar"

That won't alert them to your real concern, where they may see the opportunity to add "booking amendment" or other charges. ;-)

We've never bought an "open-ended return" In fact I don't know if you can, but you can certainly buy a one-way ticket.

What we have done several times is book the return date. When you know your definate date of return ring the CC or other booking agent to change the return date. We try to keep to the original return time of sailing and usually the day will be mid week, so as to keep within the same pricing structure.

The cost of the change has been the same each time we have done this and its been £10, we simply factor this cost in to our budget. Simples.

Knew I had read it somewhere.

MMM Feb 2011 - page 85

"Don't get caught out" -last sentence

"A flexible ticket also allows you to change the date & time of your journey in advance, perfect if something crops up on your trip tahat requires you to travel home a day earlier or later."

So if correct for this season, someone out there does do "Flexible" tickets.

*-)

Ekka - no probs, We both reget it happened, but already consigned to history this end. Cheers.

Guest Peter James

Don't just turn up at the port without a ticket or they will charge you rip off prices because they know they have got you by the b*******

I recently called in the ticket office in Calais on my way out, pretending I was on the way back and wanted a crossing. I was quoted minimum 145 Euros day or night, when web fares were selling for £30 -£40.

Apparently the Seafrance shop in Calais Town Centre (Place d Armes) gives a much better price than the port, but it is only open office hours.

You really do need to book online. I go to an internet cafe and then have always managed to get my return crossing next day for the normal £30 - £40.

Tourist Information Centres or Libraries will tell you where the nearest Internet Cafe is, if they don't have one on their premises.

In Calais there is a good Internet Cafe directly opposite the largest Church, which is in between the port and the town centre - open 12 hours a day 7 days a week. (It also offers cheap phone calls.)

Last week I used the Internet Cafe in Brugge (1 Euro for half an hour) and got a next day Crossing Dunkerque to Dover for 42 Euro (motorhome over 2.4m high, less than 8m long)

We have usually booked for a known period but sometimes have returned on an earlier ferry, even a day earlier, and sometimes found that the ticket can be amended at the port, sometimes at added cost, but never with any rebate if tarif was lower.

The thing that gets me , is the cost of insurance for single trip. So much for first 2 weeks, then ever increasing price for each extra week, which you have to know how long before you go.. Cant find decent price for annual open ended insurance for us oldies (over 70). Any recommendations?

tonyg3nwl

Don't know about 'open ended' tickets. We usally book 2 singles as we sometimes use different routes for different legs, as we live 'oop north'. As mentioned we book a return around when we plan to travel and amend it if required either by telephone or internet.

By the way, most crossings now have single fares in either direction and the 'return' is usually just twice the single. I played with the Web one night to find that out. You can also book from France back to the UK and pay in Pounds.

I agree about not arriving at the Termonal to book, unless you want to pay high prices, but even a few days ahead of your travel date can reveal reasonable prices. Play the dates however, as Fridays and often Saturdays are much higher than Sundays.

Guest Peter James
tonyg3nwl - 2011-02-20 3:28 PM

The thing that gets me , is the cost of insurance for single trip. So much for first 2 weeks, then ever increasing price for each extra week, which you have to know how long before you go.. Cant find decent price for annual open ended insurance for us oldies (over 70). Any recommendations?

tonyg3nwl

Me too, thats why I have never had any extra insurance. A normal motor policy has to cover you the legal minimum anywhere in Europe, for the duration of the policy. It makes me more careful, knowing I would have to pay if I caused an accident.

An insurance premium has to cover the extra costs of administration, fraud, and profits, so it must be statistically cheaper to take the risk on yourself. Especially when you can reduce the risk by being extra careful.

tonyg3nwl - 2011-02-20 3:28 PM

tonyg3nwl

Have you tried "The Caravan and Camping Club" multi-trip policy? I believe there is flexibility, allowing you a certain number of days/weeks in any one year.

Me too, thats why I have never had any extra insurance. A normal motor policy has to cover you the legal minimum anywhere in Europe, for the duration of the policy. It makes me more careful, knowing I would have to pay if I caused an accident.

An insurance premium has to cover the extra costs of administration, fraud, and profits, so it must be statistically cheaper to take the risk on yourself. Especially when you can reduce the risk by being extra careful.

Do you build in to your trip (or have savings to cover) the possible costs of:

repair to your vehicle in the event of accident

breakdown/towing fees

repatriation of your vehicle to UK in the event of an accident or serious breakdown

medical expenses and hospital fees for anything not covered by the basics

repatriation by ambulance in the event of serious illness or accident or death?

The choice, of course is yours but any one of the above could cost far more than the cost of the insurance.

You may be very careful but some of the above could arise through no fault of your own.

Bojitoes - 2011-02-12 9:09 PM

Hi

The last 2 times we have been away we booked an outward trip only as we did not know when we would return. When our plans were finalised we booked a single ferry trip using the net a couple of days before departure. Last October we came back P&O for £22 so dont see that it is more expensive than booking a return.

Bob

We have done the same thing and the fare was the same each way on SeaFrance

John

Guest Peter James
mel wood - 2011-02-21 4:06 PM

Do you build in to your trip (or have savings to cover) the possible costs of:

repair to your vehicle in the event of accident

breakdown/towing fees

repatriation of your vehicle to UK in the event of an accident or serious breakdown

medical expenses and hospital fees for anything not covered by the basics

repatriation by ambulance in the event of serious illness or accident or death?

The choice, of course is yours but any one of the above could cost far more than the cost of the insurance.

You may be very careful but some of the above could arise through no fault of your own.

I don't have unlimited savings but the insurance I have seen is not unlimited either.

I have been paying vehicle and house insurance for over 40 years, never made an insurance claim in my life, and the Prudential has helped themselves to a large slice of my hard earned pension, so I think Insurance Companies have had enough out of me. They are always trying to sell me more insurance. They don't like it when I tell them I would like to see comprehensive insurance made illegal so people drive more carefully.

ekka - 2011-02-13 2:15 PM Thanks for that information, I wonder if they would still honour a return if it was say three weeks, or six weeks difference though. I guess in the absence of anyone having direct experience of such a scenario I will try it and let you guys know how I get on, but I will have a conversation with Sea France when I'm next in Dover :-)

When you book, look at the ticket options, and the cost of altering date/time applicable to each ticket type.  They also stated, last time I looked, what the admin charge for changing the crossing would be.  This, you may not always actually pay.

Their advice when I asked regarding having to change the timing of a trip was to ensure, if you do need to change, that you do this before the booked date of your sailing.  It was stressed that this is particularly important on the return trip.  Once your booked date has passed, strictly, you are a "no-show", and your contract, based on dates, has expired, so you have no right of return.  They may carry you, but they are not obliged to do so. 

You can phone them (period of notice on booking conditions) before your intended date of travel and, subject to space, they will (subject to the admin charge) change the date/time of the crossing as requested.  If the day or time you want to travel is a more expensive crossing than the one you booked, you will have to pay the extra, if it is cheaper, they keep the change!  :-)

Simplest of all, it seems, is to turn up at the port offices as soon as you get to Calais, and ask if you can travel the next day (so giving 24 hours notice) at the same time.  Providing you have not booked a mid-week crossing and want to come back at a weekend, you may well find a new ticket is issued without any charge.  However, if you had booked a return in October, and you want to come back while the schools, or universities are still on holiday, expect to pay more, because the crossing, even at the same time, will be likely to be more costly.

If you are yourself uncertain about your travel dates, it is not really fair to expect any carrier to tell you how much you will be charged for your passage, whenever that may be.  If in doubt, just pay the extra for the more expensive fully flexible ticket, but read what it says about the degree of flexibility it provides.  Otherwise, as others have suggested, buy a book of tickets, and use the flexibility of those.

Archived