LDV Convoy

Ranger

I sold my Lovelly Legend on a Transit rear wheel drive automatic last year, very silly!!! We miss motorhoming and are looking around for another. One with a layout we fancy is on a LDV Convoy 2.5 diesel, but have heard that LDVs are a load of big problems. Any one any experience with LDV Convoys???????? I have something else lined up but it is a front wheel drive......

Plenty of information on-line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDV_Convoy

http://www.parkers.co.uk/vans/reviews/ldv/convoy-1996.aspx

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews64473.html

As far as I'm aware the Convoy was/is no worse than its contemporaries reliability-wise and later versions had the Ford motor you will be familiar with. I know that Devon produced a high-top Convoy-based PVC ("Sahara") in the late-1990s, but I can't recall any other motorhome manufacturer employing it.

Ranger - 2011-02-13 10:47 AM I sold my Lovelly Legend on a Transit rear wheel drive automatic last year, very silly!!! We miss motorhoming and are looking around for another. One with a layout we fancy is on a LDV Convoy 2.5 diesel, but have heard that LDVs are a load of big problems. Any one any experience with LDV Convoys???????? I have something else lined up but it is a front wheel drive......

A bit sparse Ranger, but the post office had thousands of them and still do. Not my cup of tea but if I weren't to bothered about style or all the gizmo's on to-days offerings then why not. After the PO have finished with them, the local builders seem to get a decent life out of them.

I did have a good look at one on a site and must admit it looked OK, and the people who owned it said it did everything they wanted it to do and it had everything that other vans had.

Dave 

The Convoy shares its DNA with Fred Flintstone's car! What that means is its had 5,000 years of development and although basic in the mechanicals and therefore handling departments they were actually well put together. The body shells were galvanised from sometime in the nineties so thety don't generally rust like Transits do. Power plants came from Peugeot in older versions and Ford in more recent times. Problem areas tend to centre around the front king pins if they're not regularly greased. I had a customer several years ago who had replaced his entire fleet of Sprinters with Convoys and was more than happy with his choice as they cost lots less to service and proved to be far more reliable.

D.

I spotted a British registered one in Gran Canaria a few years ago. The engine was running with an elderly chap parked up in it and I remember thinking that the engine did sound sweet. He was obviously confident enough to take over that distance.

Hello,

As long as you are not too tall (so you don't hit your head every time you get in and out of the driver's door, the Convoy is pretty solid. The later (about 2003) 2.4 Ford set-up was ok but introduced gearbox problems and endless heater matrix leaks. They also suffer the same clutch and flywheel problems as rear wheel drive transits, but this can be overcome with a solid flywheel conversion kit.

The best engine (in my opinion) was about 1998 when they had a Peugeot 2.5 Turbo that not only went like the clappers, but also was remarkably economical. We always got 35mpg in the two luton vans we ran, albeit for only a few months.

The main reason that most of the panel vans that Royal Mail had were converted to rear roller shutter doors was less about convenience than getting around the rear doors that still fell apart alarmingly early even on the later supposedly galvanised vans.

Also, while corrosion was overcome on most of the body panels, there were still major problems with the front suspension mounts where they meet the subframe. When bushes need to be changed you have to cut them off and weld new ones in place (if there is anything left to weld them to!)

I would leave any older vehicles that have not been loved well alone.

Nick

Archived