Should I take my laptop?

hallii

A Lap top is made for traveling, hence the size and its own power supply,We used our,s in conjunction with our Road Atlas,We use Google Earth to check Aires and Site before we go there, I,m now in the process of adding Aires and ACSI sites onto our 2010 Autoroute ,we can use our laptop as a Road atlas whilst on the move in Larger format as well,, keep it on charge via a inverter plugged into the cigar socket, Handy tool,if stolen its still only a tool. Whats the word I,m looking for........Ah yes   "Simples"

Went to France/Spain/Portugal in 2009 and 2010

Found lots of free wiFi, especialy in Portugal. My advice is Take your laptop if you use it a lot at home. We download photos, keep diary of places visited and a list of costs ie fuel, sites fees .

I would also recommend ACSI, you will save a lot on sites. If away for a longish time you wil find sites usefull for laundry as much as anthing else

We saved at El Rocio Paid 11euros with elec, and a cople in a car and tent no elec, were paying 20euros a night. ( they had never heard of ACSI) so even one night you would cover the cost of the Acsi Card.

Have a good trip

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
hallii - 2011-02-14 8:33 PM

My thanks to all for your thoughts, you have enabled me to make a decision, and that's not to take it.

JudgeMental, you are to blame for me now wanting a Blackberry, I have told my wife it's your fault!

H

go with T mobile its £15 a month extra for BBM and data service in Europe. we just take the one on holidays and it has the wifes email and mine on it, so both get our mail on the one phone.......

If you need a new phone anyway they make sense - but only if friends and family have them, otherwise the Blackberry instant mesaaging is a bit pointless (if no one to talk to*-))

Guest JudgeMental
worse food poisoning we ever had was in a SUBWAY at the NEC. the wife a vegetarian and me a carnivore where both struck fown...It must have been the salad *-)

My laptop abroad is almost as essential as the sat nav! Firstly as I work in IT on a long month trip I can use it for remote support. I spent two hours once with my feet in Lake Maggoire in Italy fixing a computer in the UK afterwards I emailed them an invoice. We also use it for researching Aires, places to visit and whats around us.

I have a Repeat IT wifi antenna with a range of up to 4 miles (line of sight) as well as access to an SFR wifi hotspot account (I have a friend in France) so most places I can get online. However even without the SFR account the antenna often brings in hotspots. The particular model I have is no longer available. A new less powerful model is available here http://www.faculty-x.net/NET-WL-usb-cpe2512bg

Also Vodafone now do the data traveller package at either £2 a day or £10 per month. Its only an allowance of 25MB per day but thats enough to check emails or do a bit of research. You can plug your phone into your laptop and use it access the net.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/price-plans/managing-my-costs/travelling-abroad/using-the-internet-abroad/index.htm

My laptop is an Acer Time line which is designed to offer 8 hours battery life and will charge from the vans engine on the move so we dont have to worry about hookup.

We usually take our laptop but its rather large and bulky being a 17" screen , so I am considering the purchase of a 10" netbook just for using on our motorhome travels the HP Mini 210 seems to fit the bill has anyone out there got one or something simular ,we have never had any problems logging on in the McD's car park having the  McD's poi's on TomTom and if one is not available using the local tourist info office usually come up trumps.

kelly58 - 2011-02-18 10:04 AM

We usually take our laptop but its rather large and bulky being a 17" screen , so I am considering the purchase of a 10" netbook just for using on our motorhome travels the HP Mini 210 seems to fit the bill has anyone out there got one or something simular ,we have never had any problems logging on in the McD's car park having the  McD's poi's on TomTom and if one is not available using the local tourist info office usually come up trumps.

Wecpurchased an ASUS 10" screen last year, and took it all round Canada with us. Mostly managed to get free wifi in all hotels we stayed at, and found it very convenient size. Also good for downloading photos each day, and once we got used to smaller screen size than the 'home'laptop,it was really great. Also very good for planning routes etc.

When we next go to France ,I shall probably take both,as if we go out wihtout the motorhome using public transport,that's when we shallfind coffee shops/eateries where we can get wifi I guess.

Archived