Caravan Club "Standard W/O Awning Pitch Type"

everhopeful

The CC seem to have introduced a new category of pitch at some sites. The CCC have long had this type of selection as their pitches are all shapes and sizes, but the CC pitches have mostly all been of similar size.

So, what are they up to? I've seen odd small pitches marked as not suitable for awnings on some sites, but what will selecting this new category mean?

They ask that those without an awning select this type of pitch first, and then, if full, select a Standard pitch. But will this not just guarantee that you are pushed onto a tiny pitch with only a few to choose from?

I'm particularly interested what this will mean for Motorhomes, because on CCC sites it usually means you end up on a postage stamp!

Has anyone experience of this new CC pitch category with a Motorhome?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've used 'W/O awning' pitches at Rowntree Park CC site in York.

No problem, plenty of room. On this site if anything they are our preferred pitches as they tend to be around the edges and are a bit more secluded and many have a patch of grass alongside. (This is a city centre site and is nearly all hardstanding.)

John.

The CC has always had some pitches which won't take awnings, for whatever reason, sometimes we've been on them, other times we haven't. On the whole we've usually found them to be smaller than the standard pitch but if we're only there for one night we aren't really bothered and would happily do this if it means someone who wants to use an awning and/or is staying a few days is able to get a more usable pitch.

You should have seen the size of the pitch we were offered earlier last year when we still had our Rimor (7.14m) - we couldn't get it's nose off the roadway! The warden didn't want us to go up to the 'nice' pitches in the grassed area up the hill as he thought we'd get stuck (no reason as it was lovely and dry and we had twin rear wheel drive with traction control!). So we ended up with a nice grassy pitch well away from the road etc and had a lovely couple of days there.

It would be nice though if these pitches were a little bit 'cheaper' to take account of the restriction wouldn't it.

The only CC site wev'e been to where 'No Awnings' was specified was Bunree, where 'lochside' pitches were 'no awnings' which I thought was fair enough, so everyone gets a view. (it turned out it wasn't for that reason at all !!) it was part of their Planning restrictions and the views for the folk in their houses across the Loch.

I found that the CCC was more 'Pushy' when it came to Motorcaravans and we often ended up on 'nasty small pitches' even though there were others available. It's the reason I gave up Membership. I prefere to pick my own pitch. I don't have a seperate 'Free-standing' awning, but I always book a 'With awning' site, as I like the oppurtunity to put out my Wind-Out awning. Ray

I thought that they'd always had a choice of "with or without" awning pitches?(.. and I also thought W/O were cheaper?..I'm pretty sure they have been on the sites we've used.. :-S )

I think in a lot of cases,it's just that the pitch may also just be tarmac(..some of the racecourse or city centre sites for example)and I don't *think* they want us rawl bolting our awnings down! (lol)

As for "..why bother when you choose your pitch anyway..",well I assume they are just trying to ensure that folk that don't require or want an awning pitch,don't just roll up on one anyway..and in so doing depriveing someone who may *need* to erect an awning for their stay..

Could you imagine all the moaning on MH forums(..strange concept,I know! ;-) ),if people rolled up on site and all the "awning pitches" were occupied by those without any!?...and this meant the kids/Grandkids had to sleep top and tail in the dinette bunk and not in the awning as usual.. ;-)

flicka - 2011-02-15 10:06 PM

Clue is in the name

Most CARAVANS have awnings & they don't want Motorhomes upsetting Caravanners do they >:-(

Personaly I think the CC are geered to Caravans not Motor Homes. A lot of the sites are situated in out of the way places where you need transport to get anyway

pepe63 - 2011-02-16 8:20 AM

I thought that they'd always had a choice of "with or without" awning pitches?(.. and I also thought W/O were cheaper?..I'm pretty sure they have been on the sites we've used.. :-S )

I think in a lot of cases,it's just that the pitch may also just be tarmac(..some of the racecourse or city centre sites for example)and I don't *think* they want us rawl bolting our awnings down! (lol)

As for "..why bother when you choose your pitch anyway..",well I assume they are just trying to ensure that folk that don't require or want an awning pitch,don't just roll up on one anyway..and in so doing depriveing someone who may *need* to erect an awning for their stay..

Could you imagine all the moaning on MH forums(..strange concept,I know! ;-) ),if people rolled up on site and all the "awning pitches" were occupied by those without any!?...and this meant the kids/Grandkids had to sleep top and tail in the dinette bunk and not in the awning as usual.. ;-)

Surely once you have paid your money for your pitch, and occupied it, it is no business of anyone what type of unit you have ? Otherwise we are into the scenario of 'My family is bigger than yours, therfore I deserve a bigger pitch'. or I have a twin axle Caravan with a Full length awning and a large 4x4, I deserve 'Your' pitch more than you do ! NO, Thank goodness in the CC we get to CHOOSE our pitches, 1st Come, 1st Served.

Which is how it should be. (and why i'm no longer in the CCC), Ray

Rayjsj - 2011-02-16 9:46 AM

..Surely once you have paid your money for your pitch, and occupied it, it is no business of anyone what type of unit you have ? Otherwise we are into the scenario of 'My family is bigger than yours, therfore I deserve a bigger pitch'. or I have a twin axle Caravan with a Full length awning and a large 4x4, I deserve 'Your' pitch more than you do ! NO, Thank goodness in the CC we get to CHOOSE our pitches, 1st Come, 1st Served.

Which is how it should be. (and why i'm no longer in the CCC), Ray

Sorry Ray,no..that's not what I meant at all.. :-D ..

I meant that perhaps by having a choice of "with or without" pitches,a site would be able allocate a "pitch type" to a users' "requirements" and in doing so,would be better able to maximise their space...and therefore able to accomodate more members.

..and as I said before,I'm *pretty sure* that some of the sites we've stayed on have had a price difference between to two types(..although I await to be corrected by someone on that.. (lol) )

Obviously,if someone's paid for a pitch which is capable of taking an awning,then whether or not they decided to use an awning,would be up to them..;-)

I am not saying that if you roll up on site as a couple or with a smallish van,then you should have to choose a pitch tucked in the corner by the skip.. (lol) (lol)

EDIT: Oops! :$ ...well,I've just had a quick look at the prices of a couple of the CC sites that we've stayed on and it appears I'm talking rubbish when I say that the W/O pitches are cheaper!...they aren't! *-)

PJay - 2011-02-16 8:33 AM

Clue is in the name

Most CARAVANS have awnings & they don't want Motorhomes upsetting Caravanners do they >:-(

Personaly I think the CC are geered to Caravans not Motor Homes. A lot of the sites are situated in out of the way places where you need transport to get anyway

Flicka - I think you are being a little unfair or perhaps "tongue in cheek". We have used a number of CC sites and only once were we offered a small unsuitable pitch when the site was almost full. No problem - we were able able to choose another pitch.

As regard size of pitch: most motorhomes will sit on a "without awning" pitch and still have room for an awning/safari room.

"With awning" pitches are often designed for a car, caravan and awning side by side! We have often been on such a pitch and our panel van conversion has had LOADS of room either side. (In fact, on some continental sites at least 2 vans would occupy the same area.) Similarly on a "with awning" pitch we have seen a motorhome with safari room and a towed car side by side.

As regards the correspondent who commented on the location of sites, that could be said about some CCC and commercial sites also. Surely you pick a site in a location that is suitable for you don't you? We wouldn't go to a site if its location was not suitable.

Whilst neither club is perfect (nor are any of us) we find that BOTH clubs offer a VARIETY of sites in a VARIETY OF LOCATIONS, some within a few minutes walk of a town or city centre eg Rowntree Park, York (CC) and Keswick (CCC). Likewise this applies to some commercial sites also eg Hendre Mynach, Barmouth.

Let's celebrate and enjoy the variety of sites, pitches and areas we can go.

Happy travelling.

PJay - 2011-02-16 8:33 AM

Clue is in the name

Not just "geered to Caravans" PJay, more & more I feel it appears the "CC commitee" would jump at the chance to change exclusively to Caravans.

I have often argued my "Awning" is in name only, but actually only a canopy. (We don't have a Safari Room)

Seems different CC Sites & many commercial Sites different rules, but it may also be determined by how full they are at the time.

I dont care how big my pitch is as long as its relatively level, isnt muddy and is in a nice spot not too close to other folk and DEFINATELY no were near a kids playground or a field that could be used for FOOTBALL and such like. Dont have an awning and only occasionally put out the fiama canopy when its raining, and thats only so my cigar doesnt get wet and to stop my scotch getting let down with water :-D

Not just "geered to Caravans" PJay, more & more I feel it appears the "CC commitee" would jump at the chance to change exclusively to Caravans.

I wonder what your evidence is for that.

At some times of year we have been on CC sites where motorhomes have outnumbered caravans greatly.

Why can't all of us whatever our unit just enjoy the opportunities? I've certainly never felt out of place or unwanted on a CC site. I have also found the CC to be very flexible regarding single nights, including at weekends and also regarding extending stays (space permitting).

It may be worth telephoning the wardens to see just what a without awning pitch means. At a couple of racecourse sites we have stayed at they are pitches on concrete or asphalt where awnings can't be erected for obvious reasons. If you have a motorhome and don't want to use an awning they have the advantage of usually being level and mud free.

mel wood - 2011-02-16 4:25 PM

I wonder what your evidence is for that.

At some times of year we have been on CC sites where motorhomes have outnumbered caravans greatly.

Why can't all of us whatever our unit just enjoy the opportunities? I've certainly never felt out of place or unwanted on a CC site. I have also found the CC to be very flexible regarding single nights, including at weekends and also regarding extending stays (space permitting).

I'm inclined to agree with you Mel.

We tend to use CC sites over the winter (more of them open than C&CC, and more likely to get a hardstanding than CL/CS). We'd rather be in a field somewhere (if not abroad) in Summer.

Over the years, the CC has, IMO, become more motorhome-friendly, rather than less, and over the last year, out of the sites we've used the greater proportion of wardens have been M/H users, not tuggers!

Of the sites used so far this winter (and I appreciate the fact that it is Winter has some effect), a very large proportion of the pitch users have been motorhome users as well.

Sometimes the wardens in both clubs are having a "bad day", but in general I find them both OK.

As a relative newbie, I've been a bit confused on some sites recently, when they've asked if I've got an awning (to charge me more).

My Nuevo has a roll-out canopy, which I've never had the opportunity to use yet. If I did want to use it, is it classed the same as a full awning, (like the ones I see erected on the side of most caravans, which seem to contain an extra couple of chairs, table, cooking units etc.) and would I be expected to pay for the privilege of rolling it out?

As both a "tugger" and a motorhomer [yes, we have both.. and some tents to add to the variety] I have discerned no difference in the attitude of the CC wardens towards me if I turn up in the motorhome rather than the caravan, so some of the comments up-thread I find a bit puzzling.

Now if someone turns up in a Trailer Tent... [which are allowed by the Club] that gets some of them going. Definitely on the Dark Side.

And one warden nearly had a fit of hysterics when I once tried to book a TENT pitch in advance - even though I am a member and the site has a “Tents Permitted” entry in the Sites book.

As for the remark up-thread about C&CC wardens allocating pitches... this is all to do with perception. Ones I have spoken to say it's part of their service [and they do help you to pitch] and pride themselves on that service saying that they don't just 'let you get on with it' like they do in the other Club. So they think that they are being helpful.

If ever I have not been happy with a pitch on a C&CC site I have asked for another. Never had any problems. Again, it’s to do with perception. I was allocated a pitch for our caravan for just myself and young daughter for 3 weeks. The site was quite full. I asked for an alternative. The Warden thought she had given me the better pitch and was surprised that I preferred the other…. But all sorted very amicably.

And if you are shown to a pitch it does save the undignified scramble that you see on some CC club sites where, at busy times, while one person books in, a companion races to stand on a pitch to “reserve” it. Hilarious to watch though!!!

nuevoboy - 2011-02-16 5:06 PM

As a relative newbie, I've been a bit confused on some sites recently, when they've asked if I've got an awning (to charge me more).

My Nuevo has a roll-out canopy, which I've never had the opportunity to use yet. If I did want to use it, is it classed the same as a full awning, (like the ones I see erected on the side of most caravans, which seem to contain an extra couple of chairs, table, cooking units etc.) and would I be expected to pay for the privilege of rolling it out?

That's my bone of contention, Nuevoboy.

Different sites, different interpretation.

More than once on CC's site, the Wardens directed us to a pitch (not pre-booked) & when I have wound out the "Awning" about 40% the Wardens get very irate, saying it's a W/O Awning pitch.

A wind-out "Awning" canopy will not damage the grass like a FULL Awning, especially when we tend to only stay one or two nights, so why do they need to be so dogmatic.

IMO - 40% taking this stance, is a high proportion.

When encountered this problem on a couple of Commercial Sites - they have demanded the extra fee for an Awning. When a polite request would get a more positive response.

nb. We haven't encountered this on CC CL's.

Archived