Caravan Club "Standard W/O Awning Pitch Type"

everhopeful

It seems the W/O awning pitches are more common than I thought. The few sites where I've seen W/O awning pitches have had them in poor positions, and only a few of them to choose from. My concern at booking a W/O awning pitch on these sites would be that I'd have the choice of lousy or lousy!

Does anyone know if the booking is rigid or can you still take a normal pitch if one is unbooked? I once tried to change pitch type on a CCC site - the Warder refused and just looked at me as if I was stupid!

I'm guessing that you could probably change to a W/O pitch from a normal, but not the other way round. Anyone tried?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nuevoboy - 2011-02-16 5:06 PM

As a relative newbie, I've been a bit confused on some sites recently, when they've asked if I've got an awning (to charge me more).

My Nuevo has a roll-out canopy, which I've never had the opportunity to use yet. If I did want to use it, is it classed the same as a full awning, (like the ones I see erected on the side of most caravans, which seem to contain an extra couple of chairs, table, cooking units etc.) and would I be expected to pay for the privilege of rolling it out?

My understanding (after 7 years motorhoming) is that a 'roll-out' awning is a 'canopy' NOT an awning, unless that is, you fit a front and sides and turn it into a 'Safari Room' (awning by another name). However some site owners do try to charge you for a canopy, if they do I refuse, and just wind it in. (and 'move on the next day'). What do others think ? Ray.

on CC sites i always ask for a site WITH awning if available, they don't cost any more, and I like the extra space, so I can wind out the canopy if it rains.

At Meathop Fell CC site they have awning and non-awning pitches. Awning pitches have white number markers, non-awning pitches have red ones. When booking an awning pitch (as we have an awning and if we want to wind it out, we can do so on an awning pitch), on arrival we are always told to pick a pitch with a white marker, so presumably some people are booked on non-awning pitches, and they are kept for them. But non-awning pitches don't cost any less than awning pitches. In the case of Meathop, there are a few pitches which would be difficult to access if pitches at the side were awning pitches, so I assume that is the reason for it there.

Ina.

everhopeful - 2011-02-16 8:03 PM

Does anyone know if the booking is rigid or can you still take a normal pitch if one is unbooked?.... Anyone tried?

I suppose it could vary from site to site(..or more likely,warden to warden!? *-) )

But I know that on the CC Cheltenham racecourse site,when booking in,if we realise that some vacant pitches have been better located(..better views,quieter etc..),we've been allowed to swap ;-)

(..Having said that,I've always found that the wardens on this particular site,are the friendliest,most helpful people you could wish to meet... :-) )

pepe63 - 2011-02-17 4:01 PM

I suppose it could vary from site to site(..or more likely,warden to warden!? *-) )

But I know that on the CC Cheltenham racecourse site,when booking in,if we realise that some vacant pitches have been better located(..better views,quieter etc..),we've been allowed to swap ;-)

(..Having said that,I've always found that the wardens on this particular site,are the friendliest,most helpful people you could wish to meet... :-) )

(..or more likely,warden to warden!? *-) )

Guess that's part of the root cause of our problem, pepe. & why I didn't name specific sites, as the Wardens change.

Also we tend not to use the same site(s) prefering to choose only one or two nights per location, which I accept does not generally give the opportunity to build up a relationship with the Warden(s).

But it does not excuse some wardens' attitude. Politeness & a smile cost so little.

pepe63 - 2011-02-16 10:34 AM

EDIT: Oops! :$ ...well,I've just had a quick look at the prices of a couple of the CC sites that we've stayed on and it appears I'm talking rubbish when I say that the W/O pitches are cheaper!...they aren't! *-)

I wonder if you're thinking of some of the 'economy' pitches that are available on some sites, which are cheaper as they don't have electric hook-up? (assuming they still exist!).:-S

Mel B - 2011-02-17 5:15 PM

pepe63 - 2011-02-16 10:34 AM

EDIT: Oops! :$ ...well,I've just had a quick look at the prices of a couple of the CC sites that we've stayed on and it appears I'm talking rubbish when I say that the W/O pitches are cheaper!...they aren't! *-)

I wonder if you're thinking of some of the 'economy' pitches that are available on some sites, which are cheaper as they don't have electric hook-up? (assuming they still exist!).:-S

I think it's just the case that I'd "assumed" they were cheaper,without *actually* knowing...!? :$

(..well..I've never let the facts get in the way of me posting something on the internet! (lol) )

I usually look at CC site plans in advance to plan where I'd like to be when I arrive. From what has been said it could easily be that the pitches with best views etc could be the W/O awning variety, but how would I know?

I try to visit different places as often as possible, so I usually won't know a site in adance. Are there any clues on a CC site plan that could guide me? All the ones I've looked at seem to show all the pitches the same size.

I've just booked a couple of CC sites for an excursion down South in April and was rather surprised to see that the "without awning" pitches are fully booked throughout both April and May but there was ample availability on the standard pitches.

We only have a wind out canopy which is rarely used in the UK but need a good 10' of space to one side for the wheelchair ramps, so this is fine for us, but, I'm still curious about a strange fixation with "non-awning" pitches and why they are booked out so far ahead. Do these people think that there is a cost difference?

Answers on a postage stamp please.

Cheers

I think I've seen some sites with the W/O awning type "full" all year, so they probably haven't got any of that type! If they do have the pitches but they are mostly full then perhaps they only have a few. Only guessing.

But, heaven forbid, it could be that they are the really good pitches and the regulars have nicked them all!

How about this one. When we went to Crystal Palace CC site last August we were made to park on a crappy grass pitch because the warden Mr Barnes reserved the spacious hardstandings for caravans our van is 6.7m. He said because the caravan drivers couldnt manouvre onto the grass pitches, he was a motorhomer. We complained and were "black balled" so that even when we could have moved to more suitable pitches he refused. If we were not committed to visting friends we would have left. Even wrote to Head Office and suggested they follow Baltic Wharf CC Bristol or Roundtree Park CC York procedures but neither the Regional Manager or Barnes have the nous to consider better/alternative systems. So we will not go to Crystal Palace while Barnes is there and certainly avoid any sites where he is warden.

Wills Wagon - 2011-02-21 1:00 PM

How about this one. When we went to Crystal Palace CC site last August we were made to park on a crappy grass pitch because the warden Mr Barnes reserved the spacious hardstandings for caravans our van is 6.7m. He said because the caravan drivers couldnt manouvre onto the grass pitches, he was a motorhomer. We complained and were "black balled" so that even when we could have moved to more suitable pitches he refused. If we were not committed to visting friends we would have left. Even wrote to Head Office and suggested they follow Baltic Wharf CC Bristol or Roundtree Park CC York procedures but neither the Regional Manager or Barnes have the nous to consider better/alternative systems. So we will not go to Crystal Palace while Barnes is there and certainly avoid any sites where he is warden.

So, it's not just me then >:-) >:-)

pepe63 - 2011-02-19 9:40 AM

Colin..Yes,I'd noticed something along those lines when looking at one of the racecourse sites ..

I was wondering whether they were maybe resurfacing during the course's "closed season"?

(..as it needed redoing.. ;-) )

The without awning pitches a racecourses are often closed around race days for various reasons such a parking for race goers etc..

Colin Leake - 2011-02-21 5:00 PM

pepe63 - 2011-02-19 9:40 AM

Colin..Yes,I'd noticed something along those lines when looking at one of the racecourse sites ..

I was wondering whether they were maybe resurfacing during the course's "closed season"?

(..as it needed redoing.. ;-) )

The without awning pitches a racecourses are often closed around race days for various reasons such a parking for race goers etc..

Ah!..of cause,yes! *-)

I'd always assumed that they were closed during the "race season" but they aren't are they :$

(..as they give arrival times for racedays! *-) )

That's a terrible attitude for a CC Warder. I always thought reserving pitches was not allowed anyway and It's rather insulting for caravanners as well! I used to be a tugger, and if a pitch was difficult to put the van on I either persevered or just chose another. I didn't need some smart alec warder allocating me an easy pitch.

In the van I've been politely asked to avoid grass in poor conditions, which is quite acceptable.

It would be good sport to try changing awning pitch type with your mr Barnes!

I hope you made a mess of his grass! (lol)

As someone who is seriously looking into working for the CC, this is dire.

Even allowing for the Warden having the proverbial bad day, (not as that's an excuse OR reason), that is completely unacceptable.

The black balling just adds to it, what an outrage. I'd write to the CC magazine and/or the Director/top bod/whoever and get satisfaction.

Please add that you've made it public on here too.

Outraged Of Blackburn >:-) >:-)

Martyn

So, if it had 'Peed' down for a few days he would have been complaining that you were 'Chewing up' his lovely grass ? Didn't you get a choice of any pitch available ?? I have never been to a CC site where i didn't get a choice of the vacant pitches. Tell a lie. we went in late September(2008 or 9 ?) to Looe in Cornwall, and 'Mrs Warden' was trying to park all the Motohomes on sloping grass pitches opposite the toilet block, (because they were re-seeding most of the other pitches where 'Caravan Awnings' had killed off all the grass through the Summer, I drove around and noticed that there were three vacant Hard-Standings, So I went back and asked for one of those, She said she was saving those for Caravans !! I (politely !) said, ' i didn't know that the Club rules had changed, to allow folk to book individual pitches ?' after a bit of 'Bluster' she gave in and I was able to stayon the one I had already Reversed onto,(the 'Unreserved, Vacant, Hard standing' pitch) She AND her husband would have had to use physical force to have got me off though, as I was Knackered and couldn't have driven another yard. (ps. I HAD phoned ahead and booked ,so it's not as if my arrival was a surprise) 8-) Ray

Bit of a suprise considering he was a Motorhomer too !

We had a problem last year with the Bearstead, Kent Site.

I did attempt to complain to the CC, but there was nobody available to talk to me, and then life continued and it slipped down my list of priorities and I let it drop.

We were meeting a group of CC members at Medway services at 0900hrs., to embark on a trip to Italy run by "GBprivilege", so thought it would be convenient to overnight at Bearstead. Family commitments meant that we would not be arriving on site until 2200 hrs. the previous evening, and we where advised to contact the site direct to let them know.

The lady warden informed me that it was not possible to arrive after 2000 hrs. I said, no problem we,ll sleep on the late arrivals area by the site entrance.

I was told in no uncertain terms that this was impossible, as it meant "I was booking a pitch that I had no intention of using, thus depriving somebody else from using said pitch". She also informed me that it was not possible to sleep on the late arrivals area, because there would be cars parked there.

During the ensuing conversation, she advised me to sleep on the Medway services.

I said, that if we wanted to sleep on service areas we would not have joined the CC in the first place.

At my wife's insistence we booked into the Marriot Hotel next to the site, for the night, and met up with our fellow travellers as planned the next morning.

As I said, I should have pursued the matter but inertia took over I'm afraid, and I forgot about it until reading this thread.

We are still members!

Sundowner,

I would have 'just arrived' and pitched up in the Late Arrivals Area, Thats what they were put there for, NOT as an 'Overflow carpark' for either Wardens, their friends, or visitors staying overnight.

The 'CLUB' is OURS not theirs, all the money being made pays their wages, and 'BUILD's' late arrivals area's for our use.

In Future if i intend to arrive late at a site, I will do just that,(no phone call) and if it has a 'Late arrivals' area , I will use it. I will pay of course, but then, i expect you would have as well.

I seem to find that mostly it's the 'Mrs Wardens' that are the most 'Awkward' and most appear not to be 'Happy' in their job.

BUT, I am always well mannered, and never raise my voice. It seems to 'Disarm' them somehow ? ;-) Ray

ps Thanks for the 'Heads up'.

everhopeful - 2011-02-22 7:17 PM

Blimey! I'm booked onto a Standard (ie not W/O awning) pitch at Treamble Valley. I figured I'd be able to not bother with an awning and just pitch anywhere if necessary, but I'm not so sure now!

Anyone know where on site the W/O awning pitches are at Treamble Valley?

We've never been,sorry.. :$

But on that point,I've always thought it strange that as you are asked to "choose" the pitch type you require when booking(and not to choose an awning pitch if you don't need one),then why don't the site plans on their website indicate where these different pitch types are located ?!

:-S

It would seem a sensible idea, but I have three theories on why that hasn't happened.

1. It's a new concept and they haven't got round to it yet.

2. The Warders don't know which pitches are which.

3. They don't want us to know because noone would book the lousey ones.

Answers on a postcard!

everhopeful - 2011-02-23 7:16 PM

It would seem a sensible idea, but I have three theories on why that hasn't happened.

1. It's a new concept and they haven't got round to it yet.

2. The Warders don't know which pitches are which.

3. They don't want us to know because noone would book the lousey ones.

Answers on a postcard!

It would mean altering their super-dupa, wonderful booking system again .... :D :D :D

Been to Treamble Valley once a couple of years ago, as i recall there are a few pitches that are on a 'slope' like the one we ended up with, it was also on a narrow 'road' so 'No Awning' would be possible, as the folk on sites further down the 'road' wouldn't get past when they 'came and went'

We only ended up with that site because a lot of the grass pitches down in the Valley were waterlogged, and we were able to swap after a couple of nights. Nice site otherwise. Ray

Archived