Caravan Club "Standard W/O Awning Pitch Type"

everhopeful

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rayjsj - 2011-02-23 8:21 PM

Been to Treamble Valley once a couple of years ago, as i recall there are a few pitches that are on a 'slope' like the one we ended up with, it was also on a narrow 'road' so 'No Awning' would be possible, as the folk on sites further down the 'road' wouldn't get past when they 'came and went'

We only ended up with that site because a lot of the grass pitches down in the Valley were waterlogged, and we were able to swap after a couple of nights. Nice site otherwise. Ray

Oh Dear! that seems to agree with what I've seen on a few other sites, where the W/O awning pitches are in awkward places or stuffed on the side where nothing else would fit.

I've no problem being on an odd or poor pitch if that is all that's left, but my concern is that if I book a W/O awning pitch from the outset then I'll only have a choice of poor or poor!

The CC have always been ok about moving pitch, but I do wonder if they'll be happy for a move to a larger pitch if the W/O variety has been booked.

I suppose it'll vary from site to site though...it's not always just the case of pitch size or position.

On some sites it *may* be the case that "with awning" pitches are all grass.

This inconsistency,is why I can't understand why the can't show that info' on all of their pdf site plans..

(.."..is it W/O because it's small or because it's on tarmac??.." :-S )

everhopeful..

If when you arrive there are "better" pitch types available(..be it due to their location or size)and they are unbooked,then there is no reason what so ever why they shouldn't let you switch. ;-)

If they don't..then make a fuss..don't forget..it's our club...and our subs' help pay their wages ;-)

pepe63 - 2011-02-25 9:10 AM

If they don't..then make a fuss..don't forget..it's our club...and our subs' help pay their wages ;-)

I entirely agree, but i wouldn't mention the 'our subs pay your wages' bit as it's like a red rag to a Bull, I was in the reception when someone else said it (I had to go out to stop laughing, and making the situation worse !)

Just keep your calm, don't raise your voice BUT, don't go without getting a 'fair' deal, after all ,you are the one paying. There is nothing worse than sitting on a 'Bad' pitch and feeling that you have been 'turned over',and usually with the Missus moaning at you too. Enjoy ! ;-) Ray

I reckon we're in agreement that it "shouldn't" be a problem to swap pitch type, but what nags me is why they are going down this new road in the first place.

It used to be that you took the pick of what was vacant regardless of size, position, awning etc. If you were last in you just took the pich noone else wanted with no problem. Now, it seems we may just be giving the warders amunition to fire at us.

"well that's what you booked".

"all the other type are already booked".

"the system won't let me change pitch type"

I can see it now!

I've had all of the above thrown at me on CCC sites with the only other option given being to leave early!

Why do they have to mend things when they are not broken.

Well,as already posted,I really don't think that the "W/O" pitch option IS a "new road" ?!

..I know we only joined about 4-5 years ago but I pretty sure the option has been around since we've been members.. :-S

Personally,if concerned,I'd be contacting the site to get some idea which areas the W/O pitches are located(..you could get pitch numbers off them and then cross check on their site plan)

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/4413103/treamble%20valley%20(plan).pdf

Chris

I've been in the CC for 21 years this year and cannot recall a problem with wardens. I suppose if we had, we must have been able to resolve it amicably.

I use W/O awning pitches at Meathop Fell because I prefer them. I've used them at a few other sites because I can and because I don't have a hankering for acres of space. I don't mind if someone gets twice the space as I do for the same price. I just look at what I get, decide whether it is worth it and whether to stay put - I have always stayed put on CC sites, not always on commercial sites.

I don't think the CC is anti-motorhome. The CC has spent a lot of money improving its pitches, such as much more hard standing, and putting in mh waste points which are usually well sited and laid out. It also gives good motorhome advice.

If I was the CC, I would find it difficult to balance the needs of motorhomers with those of caravanners who outnumber us significantly on the road, not just in the Club. It's a no-win situation. I just focus on having a good time in my motorhome and leave everyone else to get on with their work or life. If I want more stress in my life, why would I seek it on CC sites when my employer would oblige and pay me for taking on the stressful jobs.

I'm am a happy CC motorhoming member, as I was as a caravanner.

Archived