Insurance Renewal Time

Wilf

The time has come again to renew our insurance for the van. The van is less that two years old and worth £45,000 I have been with Safeguard for the last twelve years and have insured various vans with them and made no claims against insurance.

The renewal premium this year is

Safeguard £473. (unlimited mileage)

I have had a few quotes with a big difference but with similar cover for our needs.

C & C Club, £473 same cover (higher excess)

Caravan Guard, £369 same cover (European cover & breakdown only 8 months)

Caravanwise, cannot better Safeguard.

Saga, still waiting to hear back from them.

Comfort, £261 same cover but no NCD scheme (lower excess) (limited mileage)

So now to my question: Caravan Guard is £104 and Comfort is £212 less than Safeguard. Has anyone had bad experiences with either Caravan Guard or Comfort for a move of Insurance Company is looking very promising financially.

Been with Caravan guard for five years. Had a large claim 2009 ( Not our Fault) They were with us within the hour, arranged tow from Glasgow to Portsmouth , and this was on a saturday afternoon. Just renewed with them 10 mins ago. tried other quotes, Saga very high, Can recommend them from our experience of a very bad claim

Pauline

Hi, I have just had to renew car insurance. Paper renewal quote was just under 250 so I did a search on a comparison site and the quote came back just below 220 for same company (LV). I then rang them and told them that I had lower quote on line,, asked them if they could match it on the paper quote. No they cant but reduced paper quote by 20 quid. They told me that to get the lower quote, I had to take out a new policy on line and cancel the old one.

I then did a new search and got a revised quote down to 196 again with same company, so decided that would do and purchased it.

Just goes to show that it pays to do a thorough search, and negotiate..

Just a word of warning though, a lot of insurers now adopt a policy of continuous insurance and automatic renewal unless you specifically tell them not to automatically renew. Safeguard is one of them and they will debit your card unless you have told them not to do so. It seems that is one way of preventing uninsured drivers.

tonyg3nwl

Hi Wilf,

We have been with Caravan Guard for a couple of years now - no complaints at all. They are open 7 days a week and always very helpful.

According to some literature which came with my last renewal, if a 'friend' goes on-line via: www.caravanguard.co.uk/friend then there are further savings to be had. May be worth you giving it a try?

If you need 'friend' details then send me a private message and I'll see what I can do to help.

Cheers,

John & Anne.

Its a competative world out there and if your current insurer is not competing tell them and give them a chance to "sharpen their pencil" on price.

If its no go move to another company, just make sure you are comparing like, or very similar cover.

I have been with Comfort for some years, but did move for one year to MCIA. Got a much better price the next year from Comfort so I went back. Simples

Saga & Comfort gave very similar quotes when we shopped around last year both offer very cheap European breakdown cover.

We went with Comfort as there policy we felt was better for us & like that they do not have NCD but gave a price that equated to a maximum NCD.

Our van insured for 45k last year basic policy £215 + £20 for 2½k cover on sat dish + £57 European breakdown cover.

Also Comfort give 365 days a year European cover.

Had ours insured with safeguard for a year but last renewal changed to comfort due to a "considerebale" saving similar to your figures. Mileage limited to 5k (I think) per year but thats enough for us at the moment. Not had any cause to claim or deal with them in any way since taking out the policy but they were very efficient and friendly lot to deal with as I remember. Will certainly be renewing with them again in june.

Guest Peter James
For those whose van is still registered as a goods vehicle, the best I have found is Churchill. Unlike many insurers, Churchill seem to recognize that a van can be used for non commercial private use.

Just had my renewal from the CC. Its gone up £157 from £281 to £438. Rang and queried this and was told it wasn't personal! All premiums have increased, but if I do a search, I should come back to them to see if they can match it!!! I'm guessing its because I was a new customer last year and they had an introductory bonus? Either way, my initial search shows that I won't be going back there. Best quote so far, and I've only just begun, is from Staveley Head, at £267. All like for like bases, with 2 additional named drivers and £250 excess.

It's a jungle out there.... >:-(

Thank you for your replies and comments.

I have been back in contact with Safeguard and they will not budge in their price.

I contacted Scenic their sister company and the price was £16 less and same cover but they only give 6 months European cover for that. Discount motorhome insurance! YEA!!

Saga are still dragging their heels and still can’t quote me, “have to speak to the underwriters and it could take a week sir”. If this is a simple quote what would they be like with a claim?

As Peter suggested I contacted Churchill. As the van is 4000 kg gross weight it’s a private HGV. They only insure vehicles up to 3500 kg gross weight.

Comfort and Caravan Guard are looking very favourable and with the saving; well site fees or red wine? What a decision!!

Wilf - 2011-02-24 4:04 PM

I contacted Scenic their sister company and the price was £16 less and same cover but they only give 6 months European cover for that. Discount motorhome insurance! YEA!!

We were with Scenic for a couple of years but the last renewal the price went up quite a bit & their breakdown cover was a lot dearer.

On our van Safeguard were over a £100 dearer than Scenic (they are in the same office!).

When we started shopping around I realised the Scenic policy was a modified car policy rather than a dedicated Motorhome policy and items like the sat dish were not covered (could be expensive if you catch an overhanging branch).

nowtelse2do - 2011-02-24 5:58 PM

Comfort were £95 cheaper than my renewal with Safeguard, But Comfort don't do PNCB

No No Claims discount but they give you a premium that is equivelent to a max no claims discount.
and to have a 2nd named driver is extra.
Are you talking about 3 drivers, or registered owner + 1, for myself + wife no extra charge with Comfort.

lennyhb - 2011-02-24 7:37 PM
nowtelse2do - 2011-02-24 5:58 PM

Comfort were £95 cheaper than my renewal with Safeguard, But Comfort don't do PNCB

No No Claims discount but they give you a premium that is equivelent to a max no claims discount.
and to have a 2nd named driver is extra.
Are you talking about 3 drivers, or registered owner + 1, for myself + wife no extra charge with Comfort.

Hi Lenny, I'm talking of protected no claims bonus. And registered owner + 1. The information I was told is that for a named driver it would be extra, so it looks like Comfort have miss-informed me.

I'm not sure of this so I stand to be corrected, I heard that if you take your full no claims bonus into Comfort, after 3yrs all that is lost.  Like I said I stand to be corrected on that one.

Dave

Comfort never asked for any proof no claims, & if they don't offer a NCB as such how can you have a protected one? I accept if you do have a claim the policy price will probably go up but with other insurers even with a PNCB they usually still put the policy price up before the discount amounts to the same thing in the end.

Guest Peter James
Wilf - 2011-02-24 4:04 PM

As Peter suggested I contacted Churchill. As the van is 4000 kg gross weight it’s a private HGV. They only insure vehicles up to 3500 kg gross weight.

Sorry, I didn't know that, Thanks for letting me know.

(Churchill gave me best quote but mine is 3500kg Goods Vehicle)

Hello all. I though that I would join your thread as I am buying my first motorhome in May and I am looking for the best deals. I have read all of the comments with interest - my main thought is that all Insurance companies go to the Government school of Devious Practices when it comes to offering fair prices. My query is, do any of these companies offer discounted deals for having your car insured with the same company?

Haven't seen any but a lot will mirror your car no claims bonus on the Motorhome apart from Comfort who just give you a price which seems top equal a max no claims discount.

I wouldn't go to your car insurer for your Motorhome unless they can offer a Motorhome specific policy.

Tiny Tim - 2011-02-27 2:03 PM

Hello all. I though that I would join your thread as I am buying my first motorhome in May and I am looking for the best deals. I have read all of the comments with interest - my main thought is that all Insurance companies go to the Government school of Devious Practices when it comes to offering fair prices. My query is, do any of these companies offer discounted deals for having your car insured with the same company?

I think Comfort do car insurance as well. I recently took out motorhome insurance with them - they gave me a good price and I did it online so it was really easy.

Tiny Tim - 2011-02-27 2:03 PM

I think Comfort do car insurance as well. I recently took out motorhome insurance with them - they gave me a good price and I did it online so it was really easy.

Archived