Insurance Renewal Time

Wilf

peterandlinda - 2011-02-28 4:51 PM

Hi Tiny Tim,

"Thrown on the scrap heap by Goverment cuts!"

Well it happened to me two years ago or so and we haven't looked back! Life is so much better now than it was, we even think of it as an opportunity to enjoy life more!

P&L

Thanks Pete&Linda - I certainly don't think that I'll be the last! We plan to make the most of it.

Tim

Tiny Tim - 2011-02-27 2:03 PM

Hello all. I though that I would join your thread as I am buying my first motorhome in May and I am looking for the best deals. I have read all of the comments with interest - my main thought is that all Insurance companies go to the Government school of Devious Practices when it comes to offering fair prices. My query is, do any of these companies offer discounted deals for having your car insured with the same company?

Hi Tim & welcome to the forum.

Worth trying the Caravan Club or Caravan & Camping Club, for insuring both vehicles.

Guest Peter James

Welcome to the Forum Tim.

You may have problems if you are suddenly insuring 2 vehicles when you previously have only insured one, as I found to my cost when I tried to have 2 policies (one for each van) whilst I fitted out my new van and sold the old one. Churchill would not give me my full no claims bonus on both vans. They said this is because if I made a claim on one policy I would not lose the no claims bonus on the other.

Whats going on with Insurance - guess evertone thinks that the grey pound is a good cash cow. Banks give you no interest and everyone else puts up their prices.

Just had my renewal from the caravan club - with them for 9 years now. Paid £189 last year with 5K milage limit , no legal cover and breakdown is seperate - this year they want £258 - whats that all about.

Guess I need a very sharp pencil and extensive research this year.

Fred

Peter James - 2011-02-28 10:25 PM

Welcome to the Forum Tim.

You may have problems if you are suddenly insuring 2 vehicles when you previously have only insured one, as I found to my cost when I tried to have 2 policies (one for each van) whilst I fitted out my new van and sold the old one. Churchill would not give me my full no claims bonus on both vans. They said this is because if I made a claim on one policy I would not lose the no claims bonus on the other.

Peter. Thanks for your comment. I have had my worries on that exact score and each contact I make regarding a quote is asked to fully explain their policy on NCB.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Worried about cost of insurance being too high? How about being told "we won't insure you for that van".

Have been with CIS for 12(? ) years during which time they have insured our self build VW, asked for quote on Globecar and they refused as it's not on their list! WTF!

So I ask how they can insure my VW, as being a self build it won't be on any list, apparently it's listed as moddified to MH, o.k. so can I insure a Fiat Ducato panelvan that has been modified to a MH by part of Hymer group(globecar) the largest european MH convertors? answer 'NO'.

I'm not impressed. :-S

Listening to Martin Lewis of moneysavingdotgodknowswhat the other day on Radio 2 talking to Jeremy Vine.

The subject was insurance and he went on to say that the biggest hindrance by far for folk not finding better value for money insurance was what?

I'll tell you, it was plain and simple folk not shopping around. 70% of folk simply accept their renewal offer from their present insurer. Incredible. I'm guilty of it with the Motorhome but not with the car, it's easy though with the comparison websites of course. Shame we can't use online quotes for motorhomes. Yet...

Anyway it's due in a few weeks so I'll be getting on the phone. Don't want to be one of those 70% 8-)

Martyn

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ruby(Exsis) - 2011-03-01 5:35 PM

Whats going on with Insurance -

Just had my renewal from the caravan club - with them for 9 years now. Paid £189 last year with 5K milage limit , no legal cover and breakdown is seperate - this year they want £258 - whats that all about.

Fred

Probably not helped by the increasing numbers not having insurance, mind you is it any surprise when you here quotes like £3000 for a 23 year old to insure a fairly bog standard little car. ( yes I know there all boy racers )

Plus the crash for cash merchants that are an epidemic now.

I always change every year though, because I'm sure they discount the first premium to suck you in, hopefully getting you for a few years. :-S

My daughter just had the renewal for her car premium had gone from £219 to £320, she went online for some quotes & the best was £273 got back onto her insurers & they matched it.

According to Martin Lewis the average rise this year is 40% ouch!

I'm considering buying another campervan so currently scouring the internet for insurance quotes.......but shocked at the huge increases! :-(

Important to me is decent european cover (some have pretty miserly limits on the length of stay out of UK), plus breakdown cover. I've shopped around for different quotes and so far Safeguard appear to be offering everything I want. Unlimited european cover and full breakdown......£318. Seems a lot just for a campervan but what do others think?

Dread to think how much an A class must cost to insure. *-)

LordThornber - 2011-03-12 10:05 PM

Listening to Martin Lewis of moneysavingdotgodknowswhat the other day on Radio 2 talking to Jeremy Vine.

The subject was insurance and he went on to say that the biggest hindrance by far for folk not finding better value for money insurance was what?

I'll tell you, it was plain and simple folk not shopping around. 70% of folk simply accept their renewal offer from their present insurer. Incredible.

I agree.

I've always 'shopped around' but the most annoying and frustrating aspect of it is with some sites you fill all your details in only to get to the very end where a page comes up saying 'we are unable to quote you right now but will contact you'. What they really mean is thanks for your phone number, now we can pester you. I've been bombarded all morning with my mobile going off. I've stopped answering it now.

Getting an online quote for a car is a million times easier than a mh/camper. Interestingly if you look on Martin Lewis's website you will find plenty of links and advice for car insurance.......but nothing for motorhome insurance.

Archived