In a lighter vein

nightrider

My up graded see in the dark CCTV system is great, it must be fox mating season coz last night I saw two foxes bang at it on my back lawn.

The dog fox was going at it like a rat up a pump and the vixen was wailing like a banshee, I heard the dog fox say in fox lingo "wassamarra luv am I hurting ya" (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Seriously speaking I am well into watching animal night life in my garden, it all started when I bought a birdbox camera.

I now have in my garage/workshop my electronics department where I make up my camera setups and make up my own power and video cables, surprising what goes on at night in your garden, even caught out a couple of two legged dipsticks in the middle of the night on the mooch.

I have sold quite a few birdbox camera set ups and roaming cameras, surprising what goes on underneath garden sheds.

Guest Tracker

You're right Malc - never thought of that as an idea!

Our garden backs onto the Great Ouse river bank and we have two garden sheds and two ponds as well as a couple of wild bits (euphamism for out of sight out of mind!) so with cctv kit quite inexpensive now I think maybe we will have a look at doing some of that too.

I knew that old analogue 10" tv would come in handy sooner or later - at laest I hope it will!

Having had the misfortune of being robbed a few years ago I devised my own garden perimeter security system, nothing moves on my property without me knowing or being recorded 24 hours per day.

Living in a big house and garden surrounded by woods we are in a very vulnerable situation from the local villains who think we are an easy touch. I have motion detectors and audlble alerts that let me know what is what, its not a case of being paranoid its a case of not letting those snotty nosed opportunists getting one over on me again, in point of fact you can have some really good fun in outwitting the night time prowlers.

Tracker - 2011-02-23 8:31 PM

You're right Malc - never thought of that as an idea!

Our garden backs onto the Great Ouse river bank and we have two garden sheds and two ponds as well as a couple of wild bits (euphamism for out of sight out of mind!) so with cctv kit quite inexpensive now I think maybe we will have a look at doing some of that too.

I knew that old analogue 10" tv would come in handy sooner or later - at laest I hope it will!

Where's your house on the Tidal Ouse then Richard. I bet you can't see the river, as the banks a mega high. Been up there a few times in my boat after coming in from the Wash on our way up to Denver. Have you been in the Jennings arms at Denver yet? great food, the fish and chips are great, with enormous fish portions.

knight of the road - 2011-02-23 8:11 PM My up graded see in the dark CCTV system is great, it must be fox mating season coz last night I saw two foxes bang at it on my back lawn. The dog fox was going at it like a rat up a pump and the vixen was wailing like a banshee, I heard the dog fox say in fox lingo "wassamarra luv am I hurting ya" (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

I'm sure that we don't have that sort of 'unpleasantness' on our lawns here in the home counties.

knight of the road - 2011-02-24 8:51 AM

Bob,

I have heard of some strange rituals played out on lawns in the home counties, such as men dressing up in womens frocks?

Are you thinking of the vicars tea parties that you go to Malc ?

( More tea vicar ???)

(lol) (lol)

Guest Tracker
peter - 2011-02-23 10:44 PM

Where's your house on the Tidal Ouse then Richard. I bet you can't see the river, as the banks a mega high. Been up there a few times in my boat after coming in from the Wash on our way up to Denver. Have you been in the Jennings arms at Denver yet? great food, the fish and chips are great, with enormous fish portions.

Yup we're by the tidal Ouse in a small slightly raised area shown and confirmed by the EA as not at risk from flooding - unless the bank gives way - but it is 80' thick so should be OK! Insurers are happy with normal rates applying!

We can just see the river from an upstairs window but being a bungalow there are not too many upstairs windows!

However the bank does a great job of shielding us from the North and East winds and it is a different world up on top of the bank some days!

We have indeed experienced food at the Jenyns Arms at Denver and jolly good it was too.

Most of the pubs around here are very friendly and most do good food at sensible prices - more so away from the riverside locations.

Do you or did you moor your boat at Denver?

Do you still have a boat - what sort?

Long way to go to the Wash for a bit of fishing - how far out do you need to go to make it worthwhile as I am thinking of a dual purpose river and sea fishing boat and I wondered about mooring at Denver?

What species are about and any decent sizes or is it like most of the UK and fished out inshore?

Nosey bugger aint I?

If / when I do get a boat you would be very welcome for a fishing trip if it's practicable and then we could slag each other off with the convenience of being face to face!

Did you ever see the Ouse Eagre? Not bad but hardly a severn bore - but at least it isn't far to walk and it's interesting to see!

Quote "Do you or did you moor your boat at Denver?

Do you still have a boat - what sort?"

I didn't moor at Denver, but at Upware on the river Cam.

I still have a boat, it's a Nimbus 29 Coup'e 30ft long and moored in Boston Marina.

Quote "Long way to go to the Wash for a bit of fishing - how far out do you need to go to make it worthwhile as I am thinking of a dual purpose river and sea fishing boat and I wondered about mooring at Denver?"

You need to go a couple of miles out, to the deeper water.

Denver is a good mooring spot if you can get one, and it's a reasonable price as well.

Quote "What species are about and any decent sizes or is it like most of the UK and fished out inshore?"

You get flatties, dogfish, tope, sea bass, mackerel some cod in winter plus all the usual common species. Not forgetting cockles off the sandbanks at low water. The Wash is no place for the unwary, as it's full of sandbanks ready to ground you. Do not even think about it without going with someone who knows what they are doing, with an up to date chart. (available at the kings lynn harbour office, or a chandlery) A GPS chart plotter is also very handy.

Quote "If / when I do get a boat you would be very welcome for a fishing trip if it's practicable and then we could slag each other off with the convenience of being face to face!

Did you ever see the Ouse Eagre? Not bad but hardly a severn bore - but at least it isn't far to walk and it's interesting to see!"

Thanks for the invite to go fishing (pushing you overboard) Richard, I'd love to.

I've seen the incoming tide at Denver many times, and ridden up on it from the Wash in my boat. The river is quite dodgy to navigate because of lack of water and also low bridge clearance if you're late on the tide. The lock keeper at Denver will tell you all about it.

The Yorkshire Ouse bore is something to behold and comes in like a steam train and quickly carries you up to York.

Guest Tracker

Thanks for the info Peter.

Without wishing to sound over confident, I am aware of how dodgy the Ouse and the Wash can be for the unwary or uneducated and that's why it would be good to have an experienced pilot on board!

I've not seen a Nimbus 29 live but it's a fine looking craft from the pictures - if maybe a little cramped at the stern for fishing. Nevertheless that's a small price to pay for so much living space and such a fine looking boat.

Fish species is what I expected as is the ideal of deeper water and I would never go to sea without a decent chart and a compass and would probably get a marine GPS - as well as two anchors, a spare engine, lots of rope, flares, warm clothing, life jackets, decent toolkit etc etc.

I used to fish semi professionally out of Falmouth and have a great respect for the sea - even in a relatively sheltered area like The Wash!

I must get myself down to Denver for a natter with the lock keeper!

Archived