Exhibitions, a downward trend perhaps?

Dave225

I visited the SECC in Glasgow yesterday for an exhibition. No, it was not the Caravan Show but Model Rail Scotland, my other ‘hobby’.

As, on previous occasions the queue waiting for the doors opening was running the full length of the SECC and even with an advanced purchase ticket, I had to join another queue, to get in slightly sooner. So, even on the 1st day the Show was obviously well subscribed and I enjoyed it very much. However, I did notice that some of the bigger Trade Stands were absent, which was slightly disappointing. On returning home I was browsing one of these Traders’ website and found the following:

“For the first time in a quarter of a century we will not be attending Glasgow Exhibition. This decision has not been taken lightly. If our maths is correct the price of the stand rent has risen nearly 60% in the last 5 years. There was approximately a further 10% added to this year’s stand rental. During this period there has also not been any improvement in takings though. Add to this the fact that three members of staff have to be away from base for four days, so we are faced with hotel accommodation, food and long hours working over a weekend plus the high costs of fuel.

Quite simply we have decided we can no longer afford to attend. We have never lost money on a show but given the tough economic times did not expect to make a profit this year. As running ********** is all we do for a living there is no point in undertaking all that effort and cost unless we are certain of a reward. Only charity workers and fools work for nothing. This is a business and to function we must make a profit.

On the same basis, we will no longer be attending Warley exhibition at the NEC later in the year. The stand rent is ridiculous and we have had more than enough of the car park / security staff at the NEC. (Anyone who has ever exhibited at the NEC will know what we mean)”

I have every sympathy for any business feeling that costs of Shows such as those held at SECC or NEC are becoming prohibitive especially in the current recessionary times. However, I also feel that operations such as SECC and NEC obviously feel that these Shows are ‘cash cows’ and prices can be increased infinitely. As the entrance cost to the Railway Show was £9 and if you wished to park then another £3 was required, then a lot of income is being created considering the numbers of ‘grey hairs’ attending even on Friday, let alone the weekend with kiddies etc. However, it seems that both SECC and NEC are strangling the very goose that lays golden eggs, and sooner or later visitor numbers will drop if people feel that they are not getting the value they expect. I do not visit the Caravan Show in SECC anymore as it is a poor Show compared with NEC and a very large number of Companies do not bother to exhibit there. Alternatively, for me to visit NEC in Birmingham means an outlay of the thick end of £500 by the time I include travel, accommodation, meals and the tickets so again not something I will do very often.

I will still attend the Rail Show at SECC next year as I can travel for £11 on a cheap day ticket and all I spend apart from my ticket is a couple of quid for a coffee. This allows me to keep more money to purchase items at the actual Show, as well as enjoy all the stands. It used to be that you visited a Show to see many things of interest ‘under 1 roof’ but that is possibly no longer the case for some Shows. One would have thought that someone in either SECC or NEC would recognise that lowering prices would mean more traders/exhibitors/visitors, and more revenue, but I do not hold my breath.

One last 'moan'. Can someone in either place maybe put some seats in the Halls. Standing around for hours is very tiring, and I refuse to pay the ludicrous prices for a palstic meal.

When I made a visit to the Model Rail show at Peterborough in October one of the traders I was talking to expressed his not attending the Warley show at the NEC as the total cost of attending was far in excess of his sales income profit ,so he decided to offer Free post and package on all orders during November. When I spoke to him the other weekend at the Doncaster Model Rail Show he said his Free postage idea had grossed him far more income than he antisepated without the hassle of the NEC.

As you say as people are cutting back and been more choice where they spend their money, you would think it would be taken on board by the people putting on the shows. The NEC this year the boat section was a very small turn out. At the Warners shows although I enjoy the ones I attend and the entertainment is good, the number of stalls seems to be getting less, is this because of the cost to the exhibitors.

Buying patterns are changing.

Fast.

And if a given retail Company does not change with the times, it dies.

The internet is growing massively, and very very quickly now, as a key trading medium.

Most Companies, especially in the "me-too" retailing of standard MH parts and accessories, will be doing more and more business via internet and less and less face-to-face in retail premises or at shows.

Similarly, more and more customers will be buying on line rather than at shows/in shops.

Warehouse style internet-only sellers can almost always beat traditional retailers on price; as they have far lower overhead and staff costs - and buyers almost always buy on price.

Some people will love this big change, some will hate it; but any seller will ignore it at their commercial peril.

Add to the equation that the UK and Western Europe is going through the deepest recession in 50 years, with almost everyone cutting back on spending, especially on big-ticket "luxury" items like motorhomes, and manufacturers and Dealers are I imagine desperately trying to reduce costs........spend a few hundred quid on your internet site and you'll probably get more viewings of your stock than spending ten grand setting up and manning a stand at a show........'cos Mr and Mrs Punter are getting cuter too nowadays.........they go to a show, touch and feel all the MH offerings, decide on the exact MH they want, then if they have any sense they look on the internet to find who can supply it cheapest before buying.

I suspect the days of big shows are numbered.

BGD - 2011-03-05 7:16 PM

Buying patterns are changing.

Fast.

The internet is growing massively, and very very quickly now, as a key trading medium.

Similarly, more and more customers will be buying on line rather than at shows/in shops.

Warehouse style internet-only sellers can almost always beat traditional retailers on price; as they have far lower overhead and staff costs - and buyers almost always buy on price.

I agree 100% Bruce, I can't add to your comment.

Martyn

Guest Tracker

Notwithstanding Bruce's very accurate portrayal of modern retailing one of the reasons I have never bought a bad or an unsuitable (at the time of buying) van is that I would not buy any van that I could not inspect, properly test drive and get the dealer's on the spot approval for any work needed before a price is agreed.

Too many people look at vans at a show, decide that a specific van looks right and then order one to arrive months in advance, after not even a test drive in many cases, and then wonder why it isn't what they expected.

As evidenced by the sheer volume of low mileage nearly new one owner vans on dealer's forecourts.

Perhaps fewer but larger shows but at lower cost to the traders to give them more incentive might be the way forward?

I wonder if the whole "exhibition" thing has had its day, as Bruce seems to be suggesting? It does seem to be an expensive way of doing business for the traders, and from the "punters'" pov, it's always seemed strange to me that we're expected to pay for the privilege of being sold to.

I can see the point for the model railway fraternity (from which I retired a few years back), in that they can see a lot of big layouts at their best, which I still find impressive. But as a medium for business it doesn't compare with the internet.

As far as the MH trade is concerned, we've never got into the whole "show-going" thing, and from what I read on here many of those who do aren't buyers, they go (and pay!) for the entertainment and social side of the thing. Fair enough, but I'd rather choose my own entertainment and companions! Even when we were actively in the market for a brand new MH, it didn't even occur to us to shell out for a weekend at a show. Instead we took our time over a period of months, visiting dealers for each of whom, at that moment, we were the only customer around. Test drives a-plenty, no time pressure for them or for us, and the right decision at the end. Why be herded around a crowded hall to see vans you don't have chance to drive, and be pressured by a bogus "show discount" into buying before you're ready (and before they're really ready to supply!)?

There are advantages for a Show as you hopefully, can see a lot of different models at one go. Some may say that is a bad idea as you get lost for choice, but it is an opportunity for the industry to showcase what it is planning.

I also accept and reget that a number of the Shows are basically 2nd hand versions with often only a smattering of big names or new models, and this is very disappointing if you have made the effort to visit. I mentoned the Model rail Show in my OP and this is slightly different to Caravan/Motorhome Shows in that the majority of the space is occupied by layouts who usually are not trading. However it is also a great opportunity to browse the trade stands and I vrey often buy something that I would probably not search out directly, as I see it and recognise it as being useful (ok, I sometimes get it wrong). When it appears that the only major Show for caravans and motorhomes is going to be the NEC, then that does indeed restrict the potential audience, and if some of the 'gossip' is to be believed even it has seen s downward trend. I personally have not visited in a number of years as I cannot afford it.

I disagree with the comments that if you are buying an outfit then going to the dealers is the only way. Yes, it is, but no, you have then to make many trips to different dealers to see the stock, and they may not have what you fancy on the forecourt. If you live outside middle England then that is not always convenient. This is where a Show can give you a starting list and then yes, then go see the dealer, relax, discuss, and test before purchase. Sometimes the last part is a bit difficult with a caravan.

As for the internet, yes, it is very useful but I would never use it as my sole means of shopping. Apart from the risk factor which is increasing all the time, and the potential idendity theft factor, the main thing is you are spending heavily on postage, which may be balanced by fuel costs I agree. And if it is not what you want you have to re-package it, and send it back for re-imbursement. One could also speculate that if we have no High STreet shops then unemployment wil rocket. Is that what we all wish for?

So, to my mind the industry needs to get to grips with organisations such as NEC and SECC and state that if they wish to continue to get any revenue at all, then get realistic with pricing for both exhibitors and visitors, especially in times of recession. Let us have the best of all worlds.

Guest pelmetman

Just to add my two penneth worth as someone who has recently set up a internet business :D ..........and I doubt there are many people on the planet less suited to starting a web based business than I (lol)

As Bruce has said in his insightful post, it is the way things are going love it or hate it 8-)

Its a brand new way of doing business :D and I am amazed where my website gets hits from, not that some of those hits are any good to me as I know following an enquiry, it will cost twice as much to ship a poufe to South Africa than to buy it *-)

I am finding the web is quite fascinating :D also I am pretty sure that I could have set up the business for a lot less >:-( ..........But I only seem to learn by making mistakes (lol)

Now it is up and running I have stopped all magazine advertizing, which costs a fortune, £750 quid a month 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) for not much more than a postage stamp size advert in some of the top interior mags :D

Now though I find the business seems to have developed a life of its own and is growing quite nicely without expensive advertizing B-) ..........if I do anymore promotion then I will probably just use Google adwords which cost pence compared to a mag ;-)

You are probably right, but in some ways I hope not. I gather that a quite high percentage of the population even have their meals infront of a computer screen. That has to be very sad, both for them and for society in general.

It is curious that my wife has kept all the letters I handwrote to her many years ago when I was away working. No mobiles or even computers in those days. She felt they had personality and affection that no e mail or whatever could give and were to her, very important.

Also, if there are no shops, then where do i go for coffee in the mronigs???

Archived