Oradour-sur-Glane

spospe

In the March edition of MMM, there is a three page article on the tragedy of Oradour-sur-Glane in France.

More information than contained in the article can be found at:

http://www.oradour.info

and specifically for details of the Aire, at:

http://www.oradour.info/images/aire/aire1.htm

http://www.oradour.info/images/aire/aire2.htm

http://www.oradour.info/images/aire/aire3.htm

and a town map at:

http://www.oradour.info/appendix/oradmap1.htm

Not a place for a 'fun' visit, but worthwhile all the same.

Hi,

for anyone who has not been to oradour i would reccomend it, have been 3 times, once in the motorhome.

It makes you think about the atrocities of war and the whole place has a feeling about it.

Used the aire once pitches are big enough for 2 vans but people are reluctant to share. nice place though.

casey

I defy anyone to visit the place and not be totally moved. Only two people from the village survived, one was visiting relatives and the other hid in the fields when she saw what was taking place. The cemetry will bring tears to even the most hardened eyes. Well worth a visit if only to get up to date with what actually happened and at a time when the war was finished for the Germans.

Art

Guest Peter James
Arthur Brown - 2011-02-27 7:55 PM

I defy anyone to visit the place and not be totally moved. Only two people from the village survived, one was visiting relatives and the other hid in the fields when she saw what was taking place. The cemetry will bring tears to even the most hardened eyes. Well worth a visit if only to get up to date with what actually happened and at a time when the war was finished for the Germans.

Art

She was in the church and escaped through the window when the massacre started.

Arthur Brown, considerably more than two people survived, one way or the other. Five men escaped from the Laudy barn, one woman from the church, three Jewish 'children' from their hotel and a schooboy from his class. In addition quite a few folk hid in their properties and got away under cover of darkness after the main killings had ended.

Tonyishuk, http://www.oradour.info/ruined/chapter2.htm gives an account of the events of the day itself and

http://www.oradour.info/ruined/chapter7.htm an account as to why the event may have occurred

We visited in November 2009. It was one of the most thought provoking and eerie places I have ever been to. I never saw a single bird flying or heard any sounds. I saw some sights and heard some stories during my 28 years in the Police but Oradour is very high on my list of 'horror stories'

If you have the chance it is worth a visit to pay respects to those who lost their lives and their Families.

barbarian

spospe - 2011-02-27 9:24 PM

http://www.oradour.info/ruined/chapter7.htm an account as to why the event may have occurred

I read the book The Story of Oradour-sur-Glane, The story of the Massacre, as told by Robert Mackness.

It maybe a bit more "faction", but a good read. basically the story is set around some very annoyed Germans, who were trying to locate stolen nazi gold, later taken and traced to Switzland.

Rgds

We have also visited this place and were very moved. I have a major criticism of the article in MMM though, as you enter through the gate there are signs that say No smoking, No eating and No Photographs, we respected this but the writer of the article did not, this is not a new sign either, we were only there last year.

gwyn - 2011-03-04 8:57 PMWe have also visited this place and were very moved. I have a major criticism of the article in MMM though, as you enter through the gate there are signs that say No smoking, No eating and No Photographs, we respected this but the writer of the article did not, this is not a new sign either, we were only there last year.

We visited a few years ago and found it very moving.

If possible visit early in the morning when it is mostly empty of visitors.

I don't recall any No Photographs signs except in the museum/visitor centre and it is possible to enter the village via the cemetery. 

Steve

The restrictions on Photography etc apply within the Centre de la Mémoire, but not within the ruins. In the ruins themselves you can take still and video photographs wherever you can walk (climbing over fences is not allowed).

I personally have never seen people either smoking, eating or drinking within the ruins; it's not a place for a picnic.

See: http://www.oradour.info/images/centrdog.htm

Guest Peter James
I saw the no photographs sign at the entrance when I went in last month. But it was being ignored.

Guest Peter James
As was pointed out on the website, the Nazi Authorities did not sanction what happened in Oradour and brought proceedings against the Officer in Charge (but he was killed in the fighting a few days later)

We visited some years ago, and found the Aire a very useful place for parking the motorhome......

As previous contributors have said, you cannot fail to be moved, but we came away with mixed feelings.

Firstly, as far as the cemetery was concerned - usually when visiting such places, there is an air of 'rest' and finality, but overall of peace....we did not find this here, and felt very much there was a feeling of anger, and no peace whatsoever. The words on the various tombstones etc were very interesting though and to us confirmed this feeling.

As far as the ruined village was concerned, we could not quite make up our minds - yes, it's very moving, and very much historical as it was left, but really its an 'outdoor museum'......and it seemd odd to have the 'new' village adjacent, yet pretty much disconnected. We wondered how the residents of the new part react to the old....

Minstrel - 2011-03-09 9:11 PM

If you visit, try to get to the aire by mid afternoon, it gets more than full.

we stayed last August next to the TIC in small car park ,as the aire is some distance to walk. i would return, and if you can buy the book in the shop , it gives the full story. very moving place

dave

• 3 weeks later...

We visited Oradour today and have come away with the same feelings of anger that such an atrocity was committed and that no one was ever really punished afterwards . Did not the soldiers who carried out the massacre have wives and children of their own? How could they do such a thing? We were very pleased to see a number of parties of teenage French school children visiting the village and behaving in a very respectful manner, the story will, rightfully, live on.

Bob

PS Photography is allowed in all areas except the Memorial Centre- presumably for copyright reasons. :'(

Makes you think what people do to one another "for what?". Well worth a visit. Nice aire just off the D3 about 8-10 min away. sat nav' N45Deg56.130'

E001deg01,530'

Arrive early , this aire caters for large motorhomes.

Souviens-Toi,

Regards,

Brendan

Bojitoes - 2011-03-25 5:36 PM

We visited Oradour today and have come away with the same feelings of anger that such an atrocity was committed and that no one was ever really punished afterwards . Did not the soldiers who carried out the massacre have wives and children of their own? How could they do such a thing? :'(

The main problem with punishing people is to make sure that you punish the guilty and not the innocent. Who do you think was the guilty party in this case?

And

For the benefit of those of you who like your Sat Nav co-ords in decimal notation, the entrance to the Aire is:

North 45.93570, East 1.02472

When we last visited the aire we were parked next to a German motorhome. We bumped into the couple in the village, the woman spoke some English but her husband didn't. I couldn't believe what the woman said (this was just after her & the husband had a bit of a laugh) she said her husband thought it was just like a film set 8-) . They seem to think the whole thing was just a big joke, we gave them a wide berth we were both so gobsmacked to think of anything we could say to them.

There is a clear sign at the gate to get into the village requesting no photographs, smoking or picnics this was in 2010 but most people choose to 'not see the sign' It is defimitely there and if anyone doubts this, we actually have a photo of the sign {taken from outside of course}

Archived