wipers

mick noe

can anybody help with the problem that has just started with the wipers on my 97 ducato based compass please. They work only on normal speed not intermittent or fast is there a relay that could be at fualt if so where is it or is there any other explanation? :-S

I have the wiring diagram for the 1994 -2003 Ducato, There is no relay involved.

The most likely fault is within the wiper switch but the first thing I would check is the earth connections between the wiper motor and a grouped (8 in all ) earth point somewhere in the underbonnet area. This point nomally looks like a bunch of black worms involved in a mating frenzy. If you can trace the black wire from the wiper motor it should lead to the earth point.

Poor earth connections can play all sorts of tricks when the current seeks to find an alternative path. Mutiple reconnections of the terminals and a dose of WD40 or similar usually cleans off corrosion restoring conductivity.

Speed and the intermittent functions appear to be housed within the motor itself. Usually the speed control is by routing the current through different value resistors and these have been known to burn out although this appears unlikely as the intermittent is also out of service.

My guess is a contact inside the switch has broken or corroded.

Archived