Towing Weights

Guest Joy

we have a renault laguna tourer 2.2dci and we want to buy an Eldiss Aurora max weight 1400kg. The hand book for the laguna is not really clear as to what weight we can tow when the car is fully laden can anyone help? (please)

Guest Frank Gordon
I hesitate to say this but, if you find the towing weight information in your Laguna's handbook unclear, you would be most unwise to accept advice on this subject from anyone on an internet forum. The sensible thing to do would be to contact a Renault dealer or Renault Customer Relations (quoting the vehicle's Identification Number). My understanding is that many modern cars have quite low towing capacities particularly when it comes to caravan noseweight.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest David Chapple
There are several ways in which the towing weight is determined. Firstly the manual usually quotes a weight which must never be exceeded but other lower restrictions often apply. Presumably the car will be heavily laded when towing but not overloaded I hope. You must ensure that the maximum laden weight of the car is therefore subtracted from the maximum train weight, leaving the weight that can be towed. With the current Laguna this weight can be a low as 1100 kg. This problem also arose with my Scenic which had a maximum towing limt of 1300 kg with only the driver aboard and lightly loaded. When subtracting the maximum weight of the car from the maximum train weight I was left with around 1100 kg.

Guest David Chapple
There are several ways in which the towing weight is determined. Firstly the manual usually quotes a weight which must never be exceeded but other lower restrictions often apply. Presumably the car will be heavily laded when towing but not overloaded I hope. You must ensure that the maximum laden weight of the car is therefore subtracted from the maximum train weight, leaving the weight that can be towed. With the current Laguna this weight can be a low as 1100 kg. This problem also arose with my Scenic which had a maximum towing limt of 1300 kg with only the driver aboard and lightly loaded. When subtracting the maximum weight of the car from the maximum train weight I was left with around 1100 kg.

• 2 months later...
My advice is not to buy an Elddis, the trouble my friend and I have had with new Explorer Caravans is not to buy, with regards to the towing weight it is very grey area, I understand it to be the kerbside weight of the vehicle not the towing weight, why I have not been able to find out go on to the Towsure site and ask the question best of luck

Archived