underslung tanks

HWO

JudgeMental - 2011-03-01 5:50 PM

You are exchanging a well engineered relatively light weight modern construction (aluminium framed with Grp wall/roof and floors) fully winterised 4 season van, with heated double floor etc...for a UK built old fashioned heavy wood construction camper....... what is the payload like I wonder? the mind boggles *-)

You may be right in that some double floor continental vans with inter floor tanks are the way to go for maximum winterizing especially Frankia vans but don't be two quick to knock the UK vans. Manufacturers such as Auto-Trail and Autosleepers have been building vans for a very long time and in the main they are very well built. Auto-Trail have a very impressive reputation for dealing promptly with any warranty problems and being able to provide a fast and efficient repair service for any subsequent damage. Need a new front headlight assembly for a Hymer and even when it does eventually arrive you will still need to allow time to arrange the mortgage you are going to need to pay for it.

If anyone does want serious winterizing then the type of van you suggest is the way to go but bear in mind there will be a very considerable price premium to pay for the privilege especially give the current lack of strength of the pound!

We have put our money where our mouth is and are about to take delivery of a new Autotrail to replace our existing Rapido which I must admit has been almost faultless.

lennyhb - 2011-03-02 9:09 AM

Have to agree with Eddie, Clive & Brian, if you are thinking about doing any winter camping don't even think about a British van.

My 'British Van' , an Autocruise Starburst of 2006 vintage, has an Inboard fresh water tank, Diesel/Mains Hot Water and Heating for 'En route' heating, and a 'Good level' of insulation. The Waste tank IS underslung but with the tap left open and an 'exterior receptical (bucket)' in place, has served us very well at 12 degrees below (December 2010), So not ALL British vans are 3 season only.Most, but not All. Ray

;-)

Archived