Ereader, or Kindle, anyone got one

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thinking about weight saving that would come with ditching conventional books, has anyone got a Kindle, if so what are their impressions.

Guest Tracker

It begs the question - how many books do you carry - or is your van desperately short on payload?

I tried a kindle once, briefly it must be said, and I must say that I much prefer the feel, texture and readability of a real book - and the prices from car boot sales, club meets and sites, etc and we always find somewhere to buy some books if it rains a lot and we do more reading than expected!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Everything adds up at the end of the day, both weight and bulk. I could save about 9 stone if I left the wife at home. However when we have extended European tours English language books can be a bit thin on the ground. I'll take that as a negative in your view, any other contributions from Ereader owners out there please.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Many thanks for that.

One of the other reasons for it's consideration is my Wife's worsening arthritis in her hands, thought this may help.

Hi

My wife gave me a ereader for xmas 2009 - we were so impressed i returned the favour for her birthday.

its great for travelling but i also now use it all the time - i have about 500 books - there are lots of free books and i have enjoyed reading books i last read in the 1950s & 60s as well as modern books.

When we traveled through S America one of our fellow trekkers had a Kindle which has the advantage of wifi which can be a real boon - down side was it was a little bigger but to be honest its just as good.

Travelled in M/home last year for 6 or 7 weeks at a time - just took ereader not the big stack of books i would normally have carried.

I have a cover so it feels like a book to hold + the cover has a build in light which with my eyesight is also a boon.

You can probably tell i am a convert - we swop books with other family members as the bug is spreading through the family - currently i have more books than i am likely to read for the forseable future!

Peter

Guest 1footinthegrave
Many thanks for that, I am also wondering if there is any real advantage in the wi-fi version considering we envisage it's main use in Europe, any view on that would also be helpful. :-)

My OH is an avid reader, she used to buy all her books from the charity shops at 50p each and would take a full case of books on holiday or cram the Motorhome cupboards with them. I bought her an Amazon Kindle 3G for Christmas, it will hold an estimated 3,500 books and she canlog straight in to the Amazon store from her Kindle, view the books she is interested in and then if she wants it simply purchases it. In the words of a famous Meerkat.......SIMPLES !!

I do not read as much so it was not a good investment to get one myself, however, I have downloaded onto to my PC, Free of charge I hasten to add, Kindle for PC from Amazon. It does everything that the hand held Kindle will do but obviously not so convenient e.g. wouldn't want to lug my laptop down to the beach, or to the pool, or on a bus, train.................... but great for in the motorhome and what is more, lots of the books are only £2.00.

I bought Anne the wifi Kindle for Christmas and she loves it. Downloading books without having to hook up to a PC is a definite advantage if you're not into fiddling with computers.

It seems a good deal to me, effectively a one off payment of £30 for an 'always on' 3G connection - as long as there's a phone signal of course!

Anne does tend to save the Kindle for when we're away, as the 'new' books are of course more expensive than the local library, althought there's plenty of older stuff, out of copyright, FOC.

For what its worth I have a friend who bought a Sony reader, registered with Waterstones, and they think it's a pile of poo....

John.

I bought my husband the Kindle with the 3g. He thinks that it's brilliant. Nice and easy to hold, easy to read in the sunlight as it's something called e ink - doesn't get any glare apparently. He has the K stand /cover so he can also read without having to hold it - he also has a little light for night time reading! Other than not having to take a load of books away with us, it will also download the newspaper of your choice daily via the wifi (subscription about 12.95 per month. Free trial for 2 weeks on a lot of them) which is a lot cheaper than buying a newspaper abroad on a daily basis. It's so easy to download books via Amazon. He thinks it's the best present that I've ever bought him!

I on the other hand have a SOVOS ereader (Play.com) which also plays music - shows photos- and will play films. This WAS his present at first that I thought he would like.... but no - he wanted a Kindle... so I kept the SOVOS. *-)

Janice

Guest Tracker

Consider yourself S H O V E D then! Enjoy!

It's only the kid's inheritance so let them earn their own like we had to - they'll still get the house, car, van etc!!

Guest 1footinthegrave
My old man left me a broken Timex watch,mind you it was right twice a day ,and an empty wallet, I'm planning more or less the same, but they may get our Kindle, and a Ducato. 8-)

We are going to buy one before our next trip, even 2 crates of books couldnt keep us going on last trip (Greece/Italy for 5 months Oct-Feb)

We kept looking to swap books but didnt find any opportunity unlike in France or Spain/Portugal.

So for our spring trip it will be WIFI Kindle + one crate of books, then we will see but as we hope to be off to Turkey next winter I think we might buy second Kindle and stick to just a cupboard of paperbacks.

We are going to buy one before our next trip, even 2 crates of books couldnt keep us going on last trip (Greece/Italy for 5 months Oct-Feb)

We kept looking to swap books but didnt find any opportunity unlike in France or Spain/Portugal.

So for our spring trip it will be WIFI Kindle + one crate of books, then we will see but as we hope to be off to Turkey next winter I think we might buy second Kindle and stick to just a cupboard of paperbacks.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Despite reading and re-reading Amazons site I still don't get the advantage of the Wi-Fi version apart from downloading books via Wi-Fi, I can do that on my PC at home I guess, or am I missing something else...................HELP.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Despite reading and re-reading Amazons site I still don't get the advantage of the Wi-Fi version apart from downloading books via Wi-Fi, I can do that on my PC at home I guess, or am I missing something else...................HELP.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Despite reading and re-reading Amazons site I still don't get the advantage of the Wi-Fi version apart from downloading books via Wi-Fi, I can do that on my PC at home I guess, or am I missing something else...................HELP. *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Despite reading and re-reading Amazons site I still don't get the advantage of the Wi-Fi version apart from downloading books via Wi-Fi, I can do that on my PC at home I guess, or am I missing something else...................HELP. *-)

Quote from the advertising blurb:

"The Amazon Kindle is now available to people in over 170 countries, and is the first ebook reader to offer free wireless service on a global scale."

So the 3g Kindle lets you download directly into the reader, in an awful lot of places, without connecting to another device.

Without the 3g service you need an internet connected PC to connect the reader to. If that's no problem, then you don't need the 3g version.

John.

Archived