I love motorcaravanning.. but

chas

Booked a flight to costa dorada return, for the same price as 4 gallon of diesel. My favorite campsite down there is nearly the same price as my hotel half board per night 8-) .

I shall still enjoy being away in this country in my van but today prices are crazy. Just a thought. :D

chas - 2011-03-02 4:47 PM

Booked a flight to costa dorada return, for the same price as 4 gallon of diesel. My favorite campsite down there is nearly the same price as my hotel half board per night 8-) .

I shall still enjoy being away in this country in my van but today prices are crazy. Just a thought. :D

Blimey, how much do you pay for campsites? Our average price last year in Europe, out of high season was just under £10 a night, say £5.00 each.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Don't do the sums, it will only depress you. A Motor home for the most part does not make any economic sense at all, but the freedom it allows is priceless.

Guest JudgeMental
david lloyd - 2011-03-02 8:59 PM

How was the trip to and the wait in the airport?

I'd rather be tootling about in the motorhome..........

David

Mmmm....Alicante in a few hours or a good few days :-S

I have just booked my 5 campsites for my 28 day trip to Bavaria in the height of summer, one site includes a 'super pitch' the total cost £720, Return ferry £192, Full gaslow containers £18, Diesel £500 so a total cost of £1,430 (Full Board). All by Lakes or Rivers, all the comforts of home and 5 different regions to visit including a trip to Salzburg in Austria. Even if I could get a 4 week hotel holiday (Full Board) at the same price I still would not want to be stuck in the same hotel, same views out of the window, same rotating menus, having to get up stupid O'clock to get towels on sun loungers etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, we do take non-motorhome holidays in hotels but generally for two weeks in the winter to somewhere hot where we would not have the time or feasibility to take the Motorhome.

Motorhomes are not cheap things to purchase and if you don't use them they become an expensive, probably highly polished 'door wedge'. use them as often as you can and the initial outlay soon becomes worth it, not just financially but quality of life. Get home from work on a Friday afternoon, throw a few clothes in and the contents of the fridge and wine cellar and get away somewhere within a hour's drive, absolutely fantastic :D

david lloyd - 2011-03-02 8:59 PM

How was the trip to and the wait in the airport?

Hi David, I go in April, airport 15miles from home, the wait at airport will be max 60 mins because I know from last time.

The point I was making was the crazy prices in all things, and of course the cost of fuel which will soon be £1.50 litre with Libiya and the 5p increase in April.

I still love motorhoming but long distance destinations will have to wait.

We bought our first camper 8 years ago after being robbed in southern Spain and then abandoned by our air company. We have now found almost total freedom tootling around, mainly in the mountains in the van and will only fly if we wish to visit places further afield.

It ain't cheap but a far superior lifestyle.

Big Momma - 2011-03-02 10:07 PM

I have just booked my 5 campsites for my 28 day trip to Bavaria in the height of summer, one site includes a 'super pitch' the total cost £720, Return ferry £192, Full gaslow containers £18, Diesel £500 so a total cost of £1,430 (Full Board). All by Lakes or Rivers, all the comforts of home and 5 different regions to visit including a trip to Salzburg in Austria. Even if I could get a 4 week hotel holiday (Full Board) at the same price I still would not want to be stuck in the same hotel, same views out of the window, same rotating menus, having to get up stupid O'clock to get towels on sun loungers etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, we do take non-motorhome holidays in hotels but generally for two weeks in the winter to somewhere hot where we would not have the time or feasibility to take the Motorhome.

Motorhomes are not cheap things to purchase and if you don't use them they become an expensive, probably highly polished 'door wedge'. use them as often as you can and the initial outlay soon becomes worth it, not just financially but quality of life. Get home from work on a Friday afternoon, throw a few clothes in and the contents of the fridge and wine cellar and get away somewhere within a hour's drive, absolutely fantastic :D

Hi Big Momma- I think 28 days in an hotel would kill me of bordom, and would never do it.

I to, take winter breaks abroad normaly 1 week my last one worked out at £18 night half board, hire car £53 week + fuel on the sunny Costa del sol east of Malaga. Saw plenty of motorhomes down there " parked up on rough wind blown waste land" probably waiting to be moved on, but everyone to thier own. Blue skys chas

just returned from spain by air. Weather fabulous ,quick flight, all sounds good but do want to do it again travelling with the great unwashed ? No and neither do I wish to stay in hotels either. These holidays have not changed one bit and I have returned desperate for the sight of my van. I know it`s going to cost me more to return back down there ( diesel looked like 1.25 euros although I did`nt buy any) but it`s my preferred stye of holiday whatever the cost.

alan.

Guest JudgeMental

but why would you spend 28 days in the same hotel? you could have a 2 or 4 weeks in different hotels :-S . in the time it takes to drive to Brittany you can be in S/E Asia...guareenteed weather, wonderful people and VERY cheap once you get there

A Motorhome is OK, but please it ain't really travelling or adventurous or mind expanding is it. We find France extremely expensive and a bit tedious now......safer cycling though :-D

Guest Peter James

Booked a flight to costa dorada return, for the same price as 4 gallon of diesel.

You've not seen this then:

JudgeMental - 2011-03-03 8:47 AM

but why would you spend 28 days in the same hotel? you could have a 2 or 4 weeks in different hotels :-S . in the time it takes to drive to Brittany you can be in S/E Asia...guareenteed weather, wonderful people and VERY cheap once you get there

A Motorhome is OK, but please it ain't really travelling or adventurous or mind expanding is it. We find France extremely expensive and a bit tedious now......safer cycling though :-D

Where do you go in France to find it extremely expensive? We go every 6 or 8 weeks now and always shop there for fish, meat, fruit, cheese, coffee and vegetables etc. Sooo much cheaper (and better quality than our local UK supermarket). We used to "drive through" France to get to Italy or Switzerland etc. but have now spent more time there and love it. :-D

We will only fly now if we visit our sons and their families, who live on 2 different continents. :-(

Peter James - 2011-03-03 9:12 AM

Booked a flight to costa dorada return, for the same price as 4 gallon of diesel.

Hi pete- Watched that a month or so ago, was very funny, and could be quite true if anyone as half a brain. (lol) the fact is you check through all the things you want first its no problem, they are just flying buses and just as comfy as a motorhomes drivers seat which of course you cant have a nap in for the 2hrs or so it takes to arrive.

Guest Peter James
chas - 2011-03-03 10:19 AM

Peter James - 2011-03-03 9:12 AM

Hi pete- Watched that a month or so ago, was very funny, and could be quite true if anyone as half a brain. (lol) the fact is you check through all the things you want first its no problem, they are just flying buses and just as comfy as a motorhomes drivers seat which of course you cant have a nap in for the 2hrs or so it takes to arrive.

Depends what you want of course. I've just had 2 months on the Spanish Costas, visiting interesting places on the way there and back. Total fuel and ferries cost £560.

Eddie what is so adventurous about taking a package tour to Asia, or anywhere else for that matter. Some things in France are expensive, food for a start, but fuel and campsites out of high season are much cheaper than the UK. We to used to take long haul flights but now find it far to tedious and would rather tour in Europe or the UK. I am flying out next week to Geneva for my last skiing trip of the season and even this short flight I find extremely boring with all the hassle of this type of travel. If I lived in SE England I could drive their quicker. Everyone to their own I guess but most would find setting of in a M/H to europe, especially for the first time much more adventurous.

Simple question Eddie .... WHY have you got a motorhome?????

As you are currently trying to sell yours, if you do, would you consider NOT having one at all for a while??? Might be an interesting 'experiment'.

chas - 2011-03-03 8:30 AM

Big Momma - 2011-03-02 10:07 PM

Hi Big Momma- I think 28 days in an hotel would kill me of bordom, and would never do it.

28 days in a hotel would kill me as well, i don't think i said 28 days in a hotel but 28 days on 5 Campsites in Bavaria *-)

Our first MH adventure was three months touring Europe across 5 countries and over the Alps twice. It really was an adventure for us if a little disorganised. Our second adventure (2 months) included 3 weeks travelling along the Pyrenees from Med to Atlantic. I cant think of any other way of doing such a trip. I didnt have to book anything or worry about hotels or for that matter campsites. If you want to tour Europe or beyond at your own pace then there really isnt another way of doing it. Well not easily anyway.

I love to fly off to the sun in a villa (would never stay in a hotel) but since we got the van these kind of holidays seem dull now.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2011-03-03 9:01 PM

Simple question Eddie .... WHY have you got a motorhome?????

As you are currently trying to sell yours, if you do, would you consider NOT having one at all for a while??? Might be an interesting 'experiment'.

Because I have been doing this for over 20 years and I'm used to it *-)

No I want the best of both worlds, a return to a smaller van and winters in HOT countrys...And summers on the Med. But have had health issue recently that is stoping me doing much of anything :-S

managed a long weekend away which was lovely apart for the weather. It would have been impossible a month or 2 ago so things hopefully improving, but a smaller van that Mrs Mental can drive if need be is half the answer.......

Barryd999 - 2011-03-03 9:38 PM

Our first MH adventure was three months touring Europe across 5 countries and over the Alps twice. It really was an adventure for us if a little disorganised. Our second adventure (2 months) included 3 weeks travelling along the Pyrenees from Med to Atlantic. I cant think of any other way of doing such a trip. I didnt have to book anything or worry about hotels or for that matter campsites. If you want to tour Europe or beyond at your own pace then there really isnt another way of doing it. Well not easily anyway.

Hi Barry, we've done both of those routes in the past and we did find another way of doing them. Was it easy?

Well we thought so.....we cycled all the way.

Barcelona to Bordeaux, crossing the Pyrenees and then

Geneva to Nice, crossing the Alps.

Both trips 500 miles long, done over 12 days, carrying all our own luggage.

Now we've got our first 'van, we'd love to go back sometime and would hopefully base ourselves somewhere and cycle out and back each day.

Obviously going soft in our old age.

Guest JudgeMental
nuevoboy - 2011-03-03 11:03 PM

Hi Barry, we've done both of those routes in the past and we did find another way of doing them. Was it easy?

Well we thought so.....we cycled all the way.

Barcelona to Bordeaux, crossing the Pyrenees and then

Geneva to Nice, crossing the Alps.

Both trips 500 miles long, done over 12 days, carrying all our own luggage.

Now THAT is adventurous!:D

Archived