NCDS & MCD

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

National Child Developement Study and Millennium Cohort Study :D

Its my birthday this week :D and back in 1958 when I was born, I became part of the NCDS study, and over the years I have been measured, weighed, medically examined, tested and had numerous questionnaires on my views including sexual preferences 8-) Even Sue has been interviewed as part of the study :D

They send the members of the study a birthday card every year and usually enclose a leaflet with an up date on the on going survey, and this time they compared us with the new kids taking part in the MCD study who were 7 in 2008, and some of the results are fascinating.

For example in 1965 when I was 7, 2% of kids were obese and in 2008 6%...... a lower number than I would of thought considering all the hype we hear about overweight kids :D

Less surprising is that very few kids live in over crowded housing now days, there was 6 of us living in the 2 bed flat above my parents shop *-)

What surprised me the most is the number 7 year olds with a single parent

1965 3%...........................................2008 24% 8-)

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2011-03-04 10:42 AM

What surprised me the most is the number 7 year olds with a single parent

1965 3%...........................................2008 24% 8-)

I guess it was harder to get out of an unhappy marriage in 1965?

Peter James - 2011-03-05 10:39 AM
pelmetman - 2011-03-04 10:42 AM What surprised me the most is the number 7 year olds with a single parent 1965 3%...........................................2008 24% 8-)
I guess it was harder to get out of an unhappy marriage in 1965?

It was even harder in 1949 Peter, But mum persevered thankfully.  Bless her.

Dave

Archived