Well, that's one less stray dog on the streets in Spain!

neilmac

We've just had 3 weeks wild camping by the beach in Spain and whilst there fell in love with this chap.....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20110225-_MG_6505-2.jpg

He had been looked after by motorhomers for the last couple of months but had a very uncertain future once they inevitably set off for their various homelands.

Anyway, we have taken him on permanently and yesterday he got his microchip and passport and he's settling in with us nicely :D

I've blogged about our meeting him here - motorhomingwithneilmac.blogspot.com

Hi I have just read your blog and how you got to know "Digger" it brought tears to my eyes. Good to know there are kind people about.

I noticed you are going to Denia in April. Is it for the 4th - 11th April meet with MHF?

If it is we will see you there . :-D

Janice.

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-04 2:42 PM

I'm sure I saw a "lost" sign with his / her picture on it.

Erm... you'll have to be more specific B-)

Mel B - 2011-03-04 2:57 PM

Good for you Neil!!!! :->

He might get a shock though when you come back to the UK and our 'weather'! :D

What have you called the lovely fella?

Thanks Mel B, he answers to the name 'Digger' and we're not back in the UK 'til August which is too soon for him to accompany us, so it will probably be 18 months until our next annual visit before he'll need to even think about UK weather ;-)

John & Anne - 2011-03-04 3:30 PM

Hi Neilmac,

Must have been his lucky day! Looks like a lovely dog.

It was OUR lucky day too ;-) He is indeed lovely.... so well mannered and gentle its hard to imagine his past.

pelmetman - 2011-03-04 4:11 PM

You will have to teach him to woof in English though :D

Hehe, I think woof is the same in Spanish.... he responds to sit, stay etc in English already though.

pepe63 - 2011-03-04 5:35 PM

..comin' ova 'ere!..takin' British dogs' jobs... :D

..comin' ova 'ere!..savin our dogs... more like :D

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-04 5:47 PM

Not to mention the Spaniard turning up at your door saying where's me dog !

He'd have to be a very, very BIG Spaniard to get anywhere 8-)

silverback - 2011-03-04 5:58 PM

nice one neil :-D

hope Digger has a good long life with you :-D

jon

Thank you silverback, the vet confirms he is no more than 3 years old so we are hoping for a very long time with him :-D

DWC66 - 2011-03-04 6:28 PM

Hi I have just read your blog and how you got to know "Digger" it brought tears to my eyes. Good to know there are kind people about.

I noticed you are going to Denia in April. Is it for the 4th - 11th April meet with MHF?

If it is we will see you there . :-D

Janice.

We will see you there Janice... with Digger come and say hi, you're sure to recognise himB-)

He brings us loads of joy, and we've had some sad thoughts about his past too, but onwards now :-D

maggyd - 2011-03-04 6:32 PM

He is lovely Im sure he will pay you back tenfold :-D

Thanks maggyd, he already has he knows how to be comical he has had us giggling like kids many times already :-D

Will look forward to meeting Digger and you both. B-)

I'll recognise him straight away.

Can't wait.....we travel to Dover on the 31st of March. Hope 4 - 5 days is enough for a nice drive through France. B-)

Janice & Dave

Guest JudgeMental

with the lack of smileys (not that I think it is particularly funny anyway *-))

plus your later sarky comment about Spaniard looking for lost dog. Do you not consider these posting insensitive and hurtful because I do....... I am sure Neil has done all he can do to ascertain that the dog is abandoned and homeless before adopting him *-)

Ahhhh ! thats nice, from the title of the thread i thought we had a 'Dogicidal maniac' 'taking out' the stray dogs in Spain.

I should have known ' We motorhomers are better than that'.

' Make My day.... pooch'. (give me a good 'licking' ). 8-) Ray

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2011-03-05 11:05 AM

with the lack of smileys (not that I think it is particularly funny anyway *-))

plus your later sarky comment about Spaniard looking for lost dog. Do you not consider these posting insensitive and hurtful because I do....... I am sure Neil has done all he can do to ascertain that the dog is abandoned and homeless before adopting him *-)

Sorry mate, really did not think anyone would take it as anything other than what it was " a joke" hence no smileys. Not everyone laughs at the same things, can't stand Chubby Brown myself, others love him. I'll try to make it clearer in future that it is just a bit of light hearted banter and put in a smiley. :-S

Rayjsj - 2011-03-05 12:10 PM' We motorhomers are better than that'.

Too right Ray, we may be the ones to give Digger a new home but the credit for his survival goes to the lovely motorhomers who befriended and fed him up after his arrival :-D A real multi national effort!

Guest peter

Well done Neil. What a lovely dog he is, I'm sure he'll love you both to bits. I'm glad I weren't there, as we wouldn't have been able to resist him.

He's lucky he found you, as you can keep him in Spain for the duration, whilst waiting for the blood test.

The dog must be a prime exhibit at Crufts, multi lingual and a perfectionist cuisine devourer.

I don't see him looking particularly pleased, probably working out how to tell his mates an easy way to get a free ride to the UK.

Not a good idea to return to that spot, lest there's a dog theft notice being displayed, some people allow their dogs to roam and be fed, just like that !!

art

art338 - 2011-03-05 10:11 PM

The dog must be a prime exhibit at Crufts, multi lingual and a perfectionist cuisine devourer.

I don't see him looking particularly pleased, probably working out how to tell his mates an easy way to get a free ride to the UK.

Not a good idea to return to that spot, lest there's a dog theft notice being displayed, some people allow their dogs to roam and be fed, just like that !!

art

I'll take your post as an attempt at 'dry' humour too *-)

I'm fully aware that dogs are allowed to roam in these parts. However this fella was starved and living rough and had been for months. He had no identification nor legally required chip.

Actually if someone claimed it to be their dog or accused me of theft I would be asking them for proof of their ownership and how the hell they let it get into such a state and, what other terrors they had inflicted on the boy >:-(

peter - 2011-03-05 9:25 PM

Well done Neil. What a lovely dog he is, I'm sure he'll love you both to bits. I'm glad I weren't there, as we wouldn't have been able to resist him.

He's lucky he found you, as you can keep him in Spain for the duration, whilst waiting for the blood test.

Thanks Peter, it is really good for all of us that we're able to house him in Spain until he gets his Passport stamp. In the meantime though he will be travelling to other parts with us :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Whatever you do, don't go down to Faro otherwise you could well end up with a van full. We were shocked at the disgusting state of the abandoned dogs when we went there a few years ago, not sure if it has improved now though. Corfu had it's fair share also, sometimes you have to just look away. We have people here on our own doorstep who can't look after their own children, let alone an animal, makes you despair. We had a Labrador who was my best friend, but to be honest she would have been friends with anyone who would give her a meal, anyway as others have said there's one less animal to suffer neglect in the world. Enjoy your travels.

Archived