Place to stop near to Dover ferry port

Hawcara

When we bought our van, we were given some 'free' tickets for P&O. Booked today but ferry leaves at 0320 on a Saturday morning! So much for the lie in.

Coming from sunny Cornwall, we have never used Dover before, so where can we hang out safely before travel, will book in at 0220.

Thank you 8-)

Hi, you can overnight for free at Marine Parade Dover or you can stay on the Tesco Car Park in Dover with no problems, there is also a place called Dover Patrol ,where there is a Monument to the Dover Patrol boats from the last war, we stayed there for a few hours recently whilst we too were waiting for our Ferry. It is above the Ferry port on the cliffs and has a great view across the Channel to France, Bon Voyage.

If you want some luxury for a few hours after that drive and you are members, then the Black Horse Farm Caravan Club Site has Ferry pitches with electricity that you can leave from at any hour. (£13.50 for van + two) in March.

Guest 1footinthegrave
If there is one single reason to want to get over the channel away from unfriendly Motor-home UK, Dover has to be it. Why oh why is there not a proper dedicated overnight stopover area, is it that the council have not yet twigged on to the fact that this is one of the major gateways to crossing the channel. How very different just 20 odd miles across the water. We too have stopped on the prom, but if this official or not I would very much doubt ( anyone know better ) . We did on one occasion nearly stay on the car park just back from the sea front, until we saw the druggies going to the soup kitchen, not the most confidence building situation. With councils looking to make savings, how about they charged say a nominal £5, and make it official. They could then add that to their coffers, then they would have a bit more of our cash to waste. End of rant. >:-(

Thank you again, Marine Parade it is then.

Ifootinthegrave, your rant about Dover is the same for Plymouth ferry port. There is plenty of space for a CL type job with hookup, but the area is the same as it was in 1945 I should think. On the way to the port one has to go through an area the council state as club land, in reality where one would not traverse at night and a red light district.

Go to Roscoff and one can park on a carpark and trundle into town for a cafe and meal.

Rant number 2 finished. :-D

As you will be arriving in Calais at a un godly hour may I suggest you stay for the rest of the night [France is1 hour ahead of UK time ] on the Ferry port. as you drive out of the Dock in Calais you go round the roundabout and come back into the ticket office area, well signed and park up on the large car park there will be lots of vans there doing just that, we over nighted there on Monday night this week and had a good quiet night for free.well lit and CCTV cameras .

Marine Parade is fine for an overnight stop - and free of charge from 6pm to 9am!

The first bit, as you go down behind the Premier Inn, says "Cars Only," but once you get to the part where the parking is parallel to the kerb, on the side nearest the water, there's no problem. No facilities, but if all you need is a place to sleep convenient for the early ferry, it's fine. We've used it several times, and even stayed there recently during a tour of Kent, with no ferry involved at all!

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-04 8:33 PM

With councils looking to make savings, how about they charged say a nominal £5, and make it official.

Don't give them any ideas. Why would I want to pay a fiver for a few hours parking, when I can currently get it free on Marine Parade?

If they started charging, I'd look for another less convenient 'free' stopover.

Guest 1footinthegrave
derek500 - 2011-03-05 5:17 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-04 8:33 PM

With councils looking to make savings, how about they charged say a nominal £5, and make it official.

Don't give them any ideas. Why would I want to pay a fiver for a few hours parking, when I can currently get it free on Marine Parade?

If they started charging, I'd look for another less convenient 'free' stopover.

I thought we had found one when last down there, the Travel Lodge car park just a couple of miles from Dover, who's receptionist said it would be fine. Next time down there we made straight for there again, only to find a height barrier. My point was I would rather pay a £5 knowing I was not infringing any bye-law that could get me a £60 penalty ticket. I know parking has been tolerated here, but I'm always waiting for Mr plod to knock me up, doesn't make for a peaceful nights sleep.

Anyway this is a good link to stopovers for those that do not know of it.

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml

The Marine Parade parking at Dover IS an OFFICIAL NIGHTSTOP - it has signs showing where caravans etc can park overnight legally.

So long as you don't go outside of these times you're fine, even if you are likely to go over the allotted free times, you can soon purchase a parking ticket ....

As for the original poster - why not roll up to the dock gate and see if you can get an earlier crossing and then kip on the French side?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Following the above post and due to the wonders of Google earth I have ( for the first time ) just seen a caravan parking sign, I have always mistakenly parked up at the wrong end of the road nearest the car ferry port where I could only ever see car parking symbols, I should have been down the marina end, I stand corrected. :-S

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-05 7:15 PM

Following the above post and due to the wonders of Google earth I have ( for the first time ) just seen a caravan parking sign, I have always mistakenly parked up at the wrong end of the road nearest the car ferry port where I could only ever see car parking symbols, I should have been down the marina end, I stand corrected. :-S

I hope you didn't 'peak' into any motorhomes that might have been parked there whilst you were 'googling'!!! 8-) :D

Just a word of caution here about parking at Marine Parade. As stated park well away from the ferry port at the western end of Marine Parade. The area outside the big block of flats (known as the Gateway) is home to a lot of old retired people who often contact the police complaining about the motorhomes infront of the Green near the Statue of Charles Rolls (of Rolls Royce fame)

Some bad motorhomers use the bushes for ablutions or to empty grey water & the residents understandably get upset, contact the port police who then have a purge & make life difficult.

I have to state "an interest" as my mother who is 90, lives here just behind the statue & although not one of the complainers she does get upset by the activities of some of the less public spirited motorhomers!

If you do stop there, there is a great Fish & Chip shop just through the tunnel & off to the right of Market Sq in Castle Street!

Jeremy

The best place to park is opposite the Dover Port Offices where there are signs indicating that you can lawfully park.

If people like to pay about 200 yards towards the Marina there is a paid car park which some people use.

laimeduck - 2011-03-07 10:09 AM

Just a word of caution here about parking at Marine Parade. As stated park well away from the ferry port at the western end of Marine Parade. The area outside the big block of flats (known as the Gateway) is home to a lot of old retired people who often contact the police complaining about the motorhomes infront of the Green near the Statue of Charles Rolls (of Rolls Royce fame)

Some bad motorhomers use the bushes for ablutions or to empty grey water & the residents understandably get upset, contact the port police who then have a purge & make life difficult.

I have to state "an interest" as my mother who is 90, lives here just behind the statue & although not one of the complainers she does get upset by the activities of some of the less public spirited motorhomers!

If you do stop there, there is a great Fish & Chip shop just through the tunnel & off to the right of Market Sq in Castle Street!

Jeremy

Good point Jeremy - it's SO important that we're considerate to residents, wherever we stay. As long as people pary at the far edn from the ferryport, and on the seaward side fo the road, they'll be fine.And I agree the Castle St chippy is brilliant - used it several times!

Archived