Reflective Boards on Bike Carrier

Cliffy

I have seen a number of motorhomes with a reflective red and white square plate on the bike rack.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is a legal requirement in some countries.

We are going to France and Spain next month, will we need one for that trip. If so where can I get one? I have not seen them advertised anywhere.

It might be a "legal requirement" in Spain, but from all of my personal experience here over the past 8 years, I only see maybe one MH in a hundred displaying one.

I'm personally unaware of anyone who has ever been told off by the Spanish Police for failure to display one....and there has never been any cases mentioned on the Spanish MH forums of members getting pulled for not having one.

I'm NOT saying don't bother. But we have never bothered in all the time we've had MH's here, and we've trundled mutchly all over Spain. Portugal and Southern France.....

I'm more and more convinced that the Spanish Police tend to focus only on the "big" issues: speeding/jumping red lights etc, rather than the minutae of the more obscure construction and use regulations....

I use a now very faded board on either bikes or back box when going to mainland europe. Its quite rare to see the French use one and even rarer to see Spanish registered vans with one on bikes. Also the Dutch don't seem to bother too much either.

Whether its a legal requirement in Spain I've no real idea, I just copied other Brits, typical isn't it.

BGD - 2011-03-05 9:02 AM

I'm more and more convinced that the Spanish Police tend to focus only on the "big" issues: speeding/jumping red lights etc, rather than the minutae of the more obscure construction and use regulations....

According to the latest CC magazine the Spanish police are focusing on persecuting innocent pedal cyclists who don't wear helmets!

SIB - 2011-03-05 2:36 PM

According to the latest CC magazine the Spanish police are focusing on persecuting innocent pedal cyclists who don't wear helmets!

My understanding of riding bikes in Spain is that you must wear a helmet outside of town limits and there is no requirement to wear one inside town limits. Sure someone will post a proper discription.

Guest pelmetman
donna miller - 2011-03-06 5:11 PM

Ah, but if helmets are a legal requirement, then they are not innocent are they.[/quote

Perhaps they should fit a warning triangle :D

Exactly.

Absolutely untrue.

This is specifically why you should NOT believe the utter rubbish that they write in the CC.

They seem to be totally out of touch with the real world.

Archived