Do I need a Carbon Monoxide warning device?

BML

It is a few years since I used a caravan or motor caravan so I am a trifle out of date in my knowledge. I am visiting my son next month in Scotland who has a caravan for me to sleep in. I expect a caravan in April and in Scotland to be cooler than my house in Oxfordshire.

I know the caravan has a calor gas heater but what I do not know is if they can be dangerous so would it be a good idea to buy a Carbon Monoxide warning device?

Guest peter
I would advise it to be on the safe side. They aren't expensive and could save your life if there's a leak. As you know it's called the silent killer, as there's not smell or or smoke. You just conk out. We've got one in our van low down by the gas boiler.

I would consider it like a seat belt, you don't need one till it all goes pear shaped. Having one (proboly) save your life as happened to me, you prioritise different things. Noticed today our local Lloyds chemist have battery ones on offer at £14.99.

BML,

Yes, get one. They are cheap and fairly portable, so you can make use of it back at home or on holiday. FireAngel do a freestanding model that will sit on a shelf or cupboard top.

peter - 2011-03-05 8:34 PM

I would advise it to be on the safe side. They aren't expensive and could save your life if there's a leak. As you know it's called the silent killer, as there's not smell or or smoke. You just conk out. We've got one in our van low down by the gas boiler.

Peter,

You will obviously have your detector placed to best protect yourselves in your lay out of van, but ours came with instructions to fit the alarm 'high' due to CO being slightly lighter than air.

Probably won't make much difference in a confined environment such as a MH, but my thoughts were that the overhead cab is our 'high point', which is where the kids sleep and they would be most susceptible to the early effects of CO poisoning.

Our alarm is mounted high in the doorway, but more importantly for us, it is situated between the boiler/cooker and the kids sleeping area.

Ken.

Hi

There was quite some debate about where to put our CO detector but in the end we were convinced that the correct position was as high as possible and near the bed because CO is slightly less dense than air.

There is one of those detectors (fitted by Hymer) on our van which is supposed to detect 'narco gas' and it is high up above the door. I am led to believe that this is entirely the wrong place to detect either anasthetic gas or propane, which are heavier than air.

P&L

I would say yes I fitted one in my van.

But I would also say if you are using the caravan for short period & you do not have any gas appliances running over night and when you are using any during the day you make sure the van is well ventilated you will be OK.

If you plan on leaving the heating on at night get one.

Guest peter

peter - 2011-03-05 8:34 PM

Peter,

You will obviously have your detector placed to best protect yourselves in your lay out of van, but ours came with instructions to fit the alarm 'high' due to CO being slightly lighter than air.

Probably won't make much difference in a confined environment such as a MH, but my thoughts were that the overhead cab is our 'high point', which is where the kids sleep and they would be most susceptible to the early effects of CO poisoning.

Our alarm is mounted high in the doorway, but more importantly for us, it is situated between the boiler/cooker and the kids sleeping area.

Ken.

Thanks Ken, I will check that out and move it. Didn't realise that co is lighter than air.

Hi, I would say yes too, we had a discussion about it a while ago on the forum as our van is only a T5 and I was worried it was going to be going off in the confined space. I couldn't find anything suited for particularly small area so just had a normal one - feel happier having in on board.

Archived