A Scotland Holiday

The Rock

Nice site at Drumore, New England bay (CC club) not far from the ferry or another at Garlieston a bit futher on, a days journey further up brings you to Killin, Maragowan at the 'Falls of Dochart', then up to Bunree, across the Corran ferry (10 minutes) to Ardnamurchan and Resipole caravan Park, across the ferry again at Kilchoan to Tobermory on Mull drive down to Craignure, then on to 'Fidden Farm' site looking across to Iona.

Thats about 3 weeks to give it justice ! Ray

Guest Tracker

Scotland is a big place and it would help if you said what sort of interests you have, how long you will be there, how far from Stranraer you expect to get and whether you intend visiting any of the islands?

A prime location that one person may see as perfection another may see as the pits!

There have been many threads on here on the subject of Scotland so you might like to try the search facility for the last year - if it's working!

There is also much info from the Scottish tourist office which is also available to peruse online.

Why not do some research and get some general ideas of your own and then ask for views and guidance?

Guest pelmetman
Every time we have tried to cross the border we have been chased South again by the midges who seem to find Pelmetman blood a delicacy >:-(

Been to Scotland many times - not been bothered much by midges.

Best time to go, I think, is late May / June.

West and north west is the most scenic but the mountains can bring rain.

The islands are worth a visit - especially Skye+ Mull and, when you have plenty of time, the Outer Hebrides.

Roads up north and on the islands are often single track, with passing places, which is not a problem as there is not much traffic.

East side is generally drier, but flatter, not so scenic in my view, but still worth a visit sometime.

" Places of interest " vary from person to person so best to get some brochures from the Scottish Tourist board ( or info off the net).

The Rock

We spent two weeks touring Scotland in October and loved it. We travelled up the west side and were not impressed until we got to Fort William. We stopped at the Glen Nevis Site which was excellent and good value. From there we travelled north through Wester Ross over the highest road in UK via the Cattle Pass or known locally as the coffin pass to Apple Cross. Don't go over this pass unless you have a good hand brake, clutch and nerve. The single track road climbs up in zig zigs with fantastic views for the passengers. The Site at Apple Cross is in a lovely position and there is great habour side pub, site amenities are average. The 20+ mile drive around the Apple Cross peninsular is well worth the effort even if you decide not to go over the pass. There are plenty of ocean side spots for wild camping. Carrying on north we made for big sands which is a fantastic site if you like beach life. If you prefer a site near to shops, pubs, harbour side etc the site Gairloch is more suitable, very nice site but quite pricey. Inverewe C&CC site is just up the road from here, we did not stop there but it has a good reputation.

All this said it may be that you don't want to travel so far or may be you don't like wilderness, sandy beeches and a warm welcome. Hope it helps, any way I am sure you will have a great trip.

The Rock - 2011-03-06 5:37 PM

I would be most greatfull if someone who is familar with motorhoming in Scotland would give me some tips on sites, and places of intrest to visit,Starting and ending at Stranrar Ferry. kind regards The rock

There is a great little site at Findochty (Elgin area) just next door to the harbour. We only had a few metres between our van and the sea. The coastline is wild and windy, but we loved watching the dolphins swim past at dusk. It used to be run by the council, but is now in private hands. The facilities are lovely and clean and the site seems to be generally well kept. I'm sorry I don't recall the name of the site, but I'm fairly certain it was the only one in Findochty, just head for the harbour and turn left!

The Scottish Camping dot Com site is an excellent source for info regarding camp sites in Scotland, particularly when used in conjunction with the inexpensive map they sell. I've no pecuniary interest in the site but use it and the map a lot for planning trips.

http://www.scottishcamping.com/

Another thing you may like to explore is to have a look at any routes you may want to travel using Google Streets - it gives a very good idea of what you'll encounter on the single track roads in the highlands.

if your going from the M6 to Stranraer it will more than likely that you will travel along the A75, if so there is/was a a caravan/motorhome site in Mouswald just off the A75 about three mile from Dumfries, One site I would recommend is Beeswing caravan park out of Dumfries on the A711 heading for Dalbeattie,the site is through the village of Beeswing about a mile further on ,it is on a slight bend on the lefthand side of the road, look for the sign, it is a quiet site with a dog walk, spotlessly clean toilets and shower,s, it is an undulating site but plenty of level spots, last time we were there last year they still put soap and towel out for use,  use  http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=dumfries+and+galloway&by=county  for further help , Rockcliffe is a nice place to visit/stay. hope this is of some help,

NB. these suggested places/sites are all en-route to Stranraer, but off the A75.

There's a C&CC certificated site at Sandhead, about 10 miles? or so from Stranraer so maybe useful for start/end of your break. It is very close to a beautiful beach and walking distance to the local pub/restaurant. Local shop sells usual bread papers etc. Have a good trip

ike

If you go to Applecross go over the pass nice views and the road is ok . When arriving Applecross turn left and go on to the end of the road to Toscaig . You can wild camp on the jetty at the end , watch the odd boat come in deer on the hills otters in the bay. Bliss

By the way the pub at Applecross does nice meals

There is a great little site at Findochty (Elgin area) just next door to the harbour. We only had a few metres between our van and the sea. The coastline is wild and windy, but we loved watching the dolphins swim past at dusk. It used to be run by the council, but is now in private hands. The facilities are lovely and clean and the site seems to be generally well kept. I'm sorry I don't recall the name of the site, but I'm fairly certain it was the only one in Findochty, just head for the harbour and turn left!

We too love this site and a nice pub just outside the gates. Here's a link

http://www.findochtycaravanpark.co.uk/

Incidentally 'Findochty' is pronounced 'Finechty' if you are asking for directions!

Re Aberdeenshire Council sites these used to be extremely good value but there are some major tariff changes this year:

1. Age Concession qualifying age increased from 60 to 65

2. 7.5% general increase

3. EHU now an eye watering £4/night but at least you are not required to take it

Mintlaw - Aden Country Park probably the best Aberdeenshire Council site - here's link

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/caravanparks/locations/mintlaw.asp

Arthur

Welcome to Scotland and I hope you enjoy your stay.

A so called 'expert' has been quoted as saying that this year could be a bad one for the midges as all the snow kept the little devils alive and they are breeding in huge numbers. Normally the frost kills them off. As I am not a bug expert I have no idea whether this is true, only time will tell, and scratching and wriggling.

As mentioned by others you need to make a plan of what you would like to see as you cannot do it all at once. To give an idea it is over 100 miles from Edinburgh to Inverness and the road is not motorway. From Inverness to John o Groats is at least another 100+ miles and the road is probably worse. or at least it was the last time I was up there. Going along the West Coast is popular but roads and distances are again time consuming. If you want to visit any of the islands then a ferry is necessary and again time and money will be consumed.

The other thing of course is that you will need to exchange your money at the border for good Scots coinage. Current rate is £1.20 English per £1 Scots, so not too bad. Seriously, we accept English money but all the banks except HSBC will give you Scots only.

Have fun whatever you decide to do and I hope you enjoy the country.

Dave225 - 2011-03-10 8:49 PM

The other thing of course is that you will need to exchange your money at the border for good Scots coinage. Current rate is £1.20 English per £1 Scots, so not too bad. Seriously, we accept English money but all the banks except HSBC will give you Scots only.

Have fun whatever you decide to do and I hope you enjoy the country.

:D Dave thats a good exchange rate! cos if you come down ere its 1.28 scots £ to the english £ :D

anyway to the OP have a good trip, you wont be disappointed Scotland is a brilliant place to tour.... after gods own county YORKSHIRE :-D

jon

Archived