UK or Continent in April?

Keith T

Going on the title and the question, my choice is Spain. East coast around Bennicasim. Lots of orange blossom and it is nice and warm. We usually return through France at the end of May. Bonus is that it is out of season and between E10 to 15E per night inc elec.

Guest JudgeMental
we are deliberating what to do at Easter as well.....Spent ages looking at CC club sites and anywhere half decent seems to be booked, so nothing new there :-S So will probably go to Germany or Normandy for a week *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
If I lived near Dover ( impossible for a number of reasons ) I doubt I would ever go north of there. I'm afraid my view is the UK is one of, if not the most Motor-home unfriendly countries amongst all the EU countries, and seems to get worse each passing year. Most local authorities seem to regard us as the enemy, so a no contest from us, continent. :$

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-03-07 6:44 PM

If I lived near Dover ( impossible for a number of reasons ) I doubt I would ever go north of there. I'm afraid my view is the UK is one of, if not the most Motor-home unfriendly countries amongst all the EU countries, and seems to get worse each passing year. Most local authorities seem to regard us as the enemy, so a no contest from us, continent. :$

Ditto :D

Thanks for the responses to my non existent question!!!

What I intended to ask was this = we're looking at about 3 weeks away in April, over Easter, and apart from the fact of lack of availability, the CC sites seem to be all 'peak period'.

Having checked on specific dates, I can get a return ferry from Dover for about £54, and given that fuel is still cheaper in France, and sites fees considerably less - as well as the possibility of Aires - we're seriously thinking of taking a break over there.

We wouldn't wish to go too far - we shall be going far south and west in May-July, so wonder if there will be many sites open say Northern France across to Brittany. maybe southern Brittany would be a fair choice for weather????

Anyone with hints and experience of these areas at this time of the year??

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brittany is not that far from Cornwall as the crow flies so similar weather we have found, but last May we found it rather cold and miserable some of the time but some days that were in the high 20's, the year before when we went which was in the middle April we found to be better in northern France than in the UK being kept up to speed by our Daughter, as for sites, they are not in full swing or many not even open, but as we tend to do Aires that is not an issue for us, just the odd site stop for laundry etc. Weather at the end of the day is always a lottery, if only we had a Chrystal ball. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Get the off season ACSI book 2011 sites from 11,13 and 15 euro including electric. most open fron early April. with a combination of Aires and these site and municipal sites a cheap break

but unless you head south'ish weather unreliable?we had an awful whitsun week on the Vendee last year a total waste of effort......

If I had 3 weeks I would be travelling to south of France

JudgeMental - 2011-03-07 8:22 PM

Get the off season ACSI book 2011 sites from 11,13 and 15 euro including electric. most open fron early April. with a combination of Aires and these site and municipal sites a cheap break

but unless you head south'ish weather unreliable?we had an awful whitsun week on the Vendee last year a total waste of effort......

If I had 3 weeks I would be travelling to south of France

What he said.

For good weather in April: South of France, and/or even further, into the East coast of Spain.

Get, and use, the ACSI card and sites-book.

Enjoy.

There are lots of camping websites on the Internet, just google something like "Campsites in North Brittany" etc. Here is one of the many websites that I tend to use http://france-voyage.com/en

If your upermost priority is weather then perhaps across the channel could be a safer bet, but not always !

I enjoy touring both in the UK and Mainland Europe and only really 'expect' the good weather in the summer months. But if weather is not a top priority then I would argue that the United Kingdom has as much to offer as some places over the channel. Walking along coastal footpaths, exploring hidden coves and beaches, walking in the Peak District, Dales, Moors, Lakes etc.etc.etc.

But everyone has different likes and dislikes, needs and requirements, it's what makes life so variable so wherever you go, North, South, East or West just enjoy the fact that you can ;-)

Archived