Accessing the internet by mobile abroad - O2 operators need more training?

Patricia

I have a problem with my mobile in France. Firstly I ordered My Europe Extra for which I pay £10 month but can receive calls without charge. At the end of the month I found that I had been charged over £20 for calls. Complaining by phone had no result - the operator patently didn't believe me and threatened to stop the next month's add-on as I was "abroad now and you have to be in the UK", which of course I was when I ordered it (never come across this rule all the many times I have used the service). I waited a week, heard no more, so finally I emailed them and the refund was actioned within two hours!

My second problem is that my phone keeps showing a message asking whether I want to allow it to send and receive data to which I keep pressing "No". I have never experienced this before when in France and it is most annoying so I phoned O2 to see what to do. The operator (a different one) said that the phone "might need updating to cure it" but I would have to wait until I returned home as it would cost a lot of money from France. When I questionned her further she was quite adamant that I could not download freely even when on a private network or for instance at McDonalds. I am sure she is not correct in saying this or is it me getting confused? If I am right surely she also needs more training?

If your phone has wifi you can connect via McDonalds. When using wifi your phone is just working similar to how a laptop would do the same job nothing to do with the phone network.

Just make shure you have data roaming turned off so you don't connect via the phone network accidentally, unless you are very rich.

Thank you for confirming that I was right - she was so adamant that I thought I must be having another senior moment!! Unfortunately I cannot see how to turn off roaming on this phone so I will have to be very careful. After I posted this thread I had several text messages from O2 asking me to rate the response I had received. Obviously I did not rate her answer at all (I gave her the lowest). There was the opportunity to write why I was not satisfied, which I did, but they did not reply !

Archived