Just cos you are paranoid .....

.... it doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Hi,

Doh, I pressed the wrong key. :$

Anyway ...... are you aware that if you insurance expires, and you do not renew it, you MUST surrender your tax disc and make a SORN declaration.

You are no longer allowed to have a taxed but uninsured vehicle, even if it is parked in your garage.

Guest pelmetman

Nowdays I always cash in my tax if I'm not going to use the van for a month or more :D

I dont like to give the goverment a penny more than I have to >:-)

PS, dont forget you can post your tax disc back on the last day of the month..............But make sure you get proof of postage ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Just had my road duty renewal reminder, it clearly states that from this spring if for any reason you do not have insurance you must make a sorn declaration and surrender your tax disc. Can't imagine why anyone would want to leave their pride and joy uninsured though. I guess this is a stab at trying to get the millions of uninsured vehicles off the road, so they are they out to get you, he is correct. Just hope they do, we all end up paying for these selfish dodgy merchants driving around the place without a care in the world ( apart from the remote possibility of getting stopped that is ) then what happens, usually not a lot. :-|

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-11 11:52 AM

Just had my road duty renewal reminder, it clearly states that from this spring if for any reason you do not have insurance you must make a sorn declaration and surrender your tax disc. Can't imagine why anyone would want to leave their pride and joy uninsured though. I guess this is a stab at trying to get the millions of uninsured vehicles off the road, so they are they out to get you, he is correct. Just hope they do, we all end up paying for these selfish dodgy merchants driving around the place without a care in the world ( apart from the remote possibility of getting stopped that is ) then what happens, usually not a lot. :-|

Absolutely right.

Taxed my car yesterday and the DVLA form No. INS210/1 1/11 ( enclosed with the reminder) states:

"If you are keeping your vehicle off the road and it is not insured you must make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

If it is taxed you need to return the disc ( including nil discs) on a V14 form to DVLA"

( Dunno what a " nil disc " is - I suppose it's one that has expired ?)

:-(

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2011-03-11 11:58 AM

Unless it means pre 73 vehicles (?)

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2011-03-11 12:12 PM

malc d - 2011-03-11 11:58 AM

Unless it means pre 73 vehicles (?)

Or could be the disabled duty which I believe is nil. Do you even have to "tax" historic I think they are called pre 73 vehicles ? If not, any good old campers out there I wonder, that would be a £200 quid saving ;-)

I had a 1968 Mini until recently.

The way it works is, you have to get a tax disc every year to enable "them" to keep tabs on you for insurance, MoT etc, but no money changes hands for it. The class is "historic vehicle," and the "duty paid" space says "Nil."

(Sold her in the Autumn and got enough money for a 2002 Focus and a year's tax!)

Hi Tony.

If God had intended Minis to go that fast, he would have given them bigger wheels.

The problem with this continuous insurance law is that you will be fined if you do not surender your tax disc. Thats what I mean by "out to get me". Is there any period of grace?

I understand that you cannot tax your car on-line during the same month that you surrendered your tax disc. Anybody?????

We tried to tax a car ,starting "next month". We were unable to do it on-line until after midnight on the 31st. Anybody else????

You are allowed to drive your untaxed car to a pre-booked COMPULSORY test. If your MOT does not expire until a month or less in the future, then I would argue that it is not COMPUSORY, so your car must be taxed. A bit annoying if it fails. But that won't affect a lot of people.

Right, I have just bought a Citroen 2CV for £200. It is taxed and tested until the end of May. I brought it home on a trailer, parked it in my back lane, which is private property. Having just dragged the best part of £10,000 out of savings, in the last month, and SPENT it, seemed a good idea to delay insuring this motor until the end of the month. But to do that, I must surrender the tax disc. Come the end of the month, it will be safe to tell my wife that I'm going to insure my new toy (£109.86). But then there is the question of having to re-tax the Citroen at the same time (£125). If I hadn't had to surrender the tax, it could have waited till the end of May. We always tax our cars for 12 months, that way you don't lose if you surrender the disc. In the event, I used plastic to insure the 2CV .... we always settle in full each month, so that problem is on back boiler for a few weeks, along with a big service on Barbara's car.

OK, we are at the comfortable end of life, problems like this are just a matter of minor juggling. But there have been times in my life when it would have been difficult. In 1959, I flew off to the Middle East in an RAF VIP Comet .... my total wealth was seven shillings and sixpence.

A lot of people are going to be hurt by this law, some deserve it, some don't.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm not sure I'm getting your problem, you must know that if you surrender a "tax disc" at any time you will get a refund for the remaining months that it runs for, you then make a sorn declaration providing of course that it is not a public road. It follows then that you will tax and insure it at your leisure when it suits you. There is no need for the vehicle to be insured or taxed if you have made a sorn declaration. Surely it does not make sense to leave tax on a vehicle that is not in use when you could have cash back in your pocket :-)

Surely it does not make sense to leave tax on a vehicle that is not in use when you could have cash back in your pocket

Hi One Foot.

It all depends. If I had surrendered the tax on the Citroen, they would have given me three months tax back, say £36ish. I would get nothing back for March. But as I now intend to use this car, it would cost me £125 (or maybe its more since the last budget, maybe more again if I wait till the next budget) and I still may not have received the refund. I decided to let the rax run.

Er .... SWMBO does not do cash in pocket. Absolute brinkman with cash, gets it into the bank ASAP. Then juggles which credit card has longest before it needs to be paid. Oh well, it keeps her happy, and her policy seems to work. Not that it makes much difference when you look at the interest that the banks pay you.

But we are beating them .... still got a mortgage with 7 payments to go. As its an OFFSET mortgage, and we have money in the bank, we don't pay any interest ..... but if we did, I'm guessing it would be about 5%. If we took the money out of the bank, paid off the mortgage, we would lose virtually 0%. I'm happier having the buffer available.

But, ask yourself this ..... what benefit are the Government getting by insisting that we surrender our tax discs? In theory, they are losing revenue.

Surely it does not make sense to leave tax on a vehicle that is not in use when you could have cash back in your pocket

Hi One Foot.

It all depends. If I had surrendered the tax on the Citroen, they would have given me three months tax back, say £36ish. I would get nothing back for March. But as I now intend to use this car, it would cost me £125 (or maybe its more since the last budget, maybe more again if I wait till the next budget) and I still may not have received the refund. I decided to let the rax run.

Er .... SWMBO does not do cash in pocket. Absolute brinkman with cash, gets it into the bank ASAP. Then juggles which credit card has longest before it needs to be paid. Oh well, it keeps her happy, and her policy seems to work. Not that it makes much difference when you look at the interest that the banks pay you.

But we are beating them .... still got a mortgage with 7 payments to go. As its an OFFSET mortgage, and we have money in the bank, we don't pay any interest ..... but if we did, I'm guessing it would be about 5%. If we took the money out of the bank, paid off the mortgage, we would lose virtually 0%. I'm happier having the buffer available.

But, ask yourself this ..... what benefit are the Government getting by insisting that we surrender our tax discs? In theory, they are losing revenue.

Guest 1footinthegrave

To be honest, and with the greatest respect if you surrender a VED disc at the end of the month the loss is pennies i.e those last couple of days. And again to be honest if that is the price you, me, and everyone else has to pay to hopefully get at least some uninsured idiots of the road, who all cost us money by way of increased premiums, not to mention huge inconvenience if you've ever had the misfortune to be hit by an uninsured vehicle, then I'm sure most would agree it's a price worth paying. (?)

It sounds as though you put a lot of energy into your finances, but over the potential loss of few quid would be a bridge too far for me, I would not sleep at night thinking how much my "bus" was losing in value just sitting outside if I was to do that, life's too short. :'(

Archived